Yamaha YST-SW800 Subwoofers

10" ported subwoofer with internal 1000 watt amplifier

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 31, 2018]
Composvoti

Strength:

This bass can handle severe low discharges without distortion or having the coil coming out

The best subwoofer I have ever had

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2002
[Jun 02, 2013]
John

Hi guys.

Although this is a discontinued model now but if you`re like me and trawl through reviews before you buy anything then this is a 12 years experience/review with the YST SW800.

I would suggest as others have to place this monster on a solid surface. I built my own soundproofed music room and had to go from floorboards ( the resonance from the bass at low levels was just awful) to a solid concrete floor. Obviously this is a bit extreme for most normal people(and wives if you`ve got one) but I know of others that have place the SW800 on a solid marble base to try and overt the resonance problem. I`d personally suggest a very thick ugly concrete paving slab myself as marble only comes in certain thicknesses and try to disguise the ugly slab in someway. Anything to achieve the potential this monster kicks out and I promise you it`ll be worth any hassle in the long run.

This unit has given me 12 solid hard years of pleasure being used every day for at least 2 to 4 hours a day and has only just broken down and is awaiting repair. I will of course update this post as to the repair costs etc. But up to this point in time I would say this unit it amazing. You have to play around a bit with the set up controls to find the right level for your environment, but as per normal it`s your ears that are the deciding judge.

Another good tip to consider is that ALL the screws holding it together will eventually come loose and no matter how many times you tighten them back up they`ll come loose again and again! I overcame this little problem with some clear silicone. Any DIY outlet sells it and you just take the screws out one by one, squirt a nice big blob of silicone on the end of the end of it and screw it back in. Don`t worry about the excess silicone coming out of the hole onto the screw head as it will harden. You`ll be tempted to wipe it off as it squirts out. DON`T because It will be a mess everywhere. Just let it harden overnight and you just literally pull off the excess on the screw head the next day.

I can not recommend this unit highly enough and if you can find a good second hand or refurbished one I would give it a go.

[Mar 06, 2005]
mdell
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

LOUD

TO SLOW RESPONCE FOR MUSIC/NO RELIABILITY/CONFIRM SELLER IS AUTHORIZED DEALER

DIED AFTER 1 1/2 YEARS OF ONLY DVD PLAYING.BOUGHT IT AT ETRONICS (AVOID THEM)I contacted yamaha for warranty they directed me to a licenced repair dealer.after paying 25.00 for diagnostics.yamaha stated no warranty cause it was purchased on line at a non-yamaha dealer and etronics would have to honer warranty.I contacted etronics they e-mailed me to send it in for warranty repairs but I would have to pay for shipping there ($101.00) then after they received it I got a phone call stating they received it after the warranty was up and there would be no ecceptions ***AVOID ETRONICS***AVOID ETRONICS***

[Dec 22, 2003]
janetor_123
Audio Enthusiast

ALl i can hear from my wife.... TURN THE VOL DOWN!

this rocks!

[Jun 18, 2003]
monjo
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Solid build,tight,deep and accurate bass.

Cheap power cord, switches placed in the back are awkward to get at.

Having owned the Yamaha YST-SW800 for about two years now, I can say it is a very solid performer. It's been hooked up with several different speaker systems and has had a benificial effect on them all. Currently it is being used in conjuction with a pair of BG420's with very satisfactory results. When set up properly the bass it produces is both tight and full-bodied and blends in quite seemlessly with the main speakers. Dollar for dollar I have yet to hear it's peer. My rating is based on it's price range.

Similar Products Used:

Klipsch KSW 15, Subwoofers produced by Mirage& Velodyne.

[Feb 16, 2003]
Jamie
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

-Extremely powerful -Adds life to movies -Makes you feel as if you were at a concert.

Angers neighbors. (Possible strength?)

I love bass and was looking for an excuse to get a sub. The guys downstairs gave me that excuse. Now I hear complaints every weekend of how many bottles I knocked off the mantle downstairs. Great sub! I am impressed more everytime i listen to it. Excellent for movies and very good for music. Can experience some flutter from the port when all the way up listening to Rap music. Can eliminate easily by cranking back the volume to 80% or so. Still plenty pounding enough for me.

JBL S120PII, various polk subs

[Feb 15, 2003]
overlord
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power. Build quality. Looks.

Can overpower some systems if not setup correctly. Poor quality mains power Cable.

I've experienced many subs and this the best for the price I've heard. I haven't experienced any humming, chuffing or any problems at all. The only two comments I would say to prospective buyers is Firstly don't judge the sound instore, Try at home. I didn't like the sound in the store but I love it at home. Secondly be careful when setting up at home as this sub is so powerful it can easily overpower your existing system

Similar Products Used:

Rel q 150 Rel q 201 Eltax subs Mission subs Mj acoustics 50 pro Mj acoustics 100 pro

[Feb 02, 2003]
Brian Corkum
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Looks good on paper The woofer does seem to be nicely built

Power rating is off, I realize it's not stated rms, but I mean common now, where is it?

I demo-ed this legend sub at the local high-fi store in town. It does provide some hit and feel, but I'm afraid its nothin like desribed through-out this review. On paper this thing looks like the piece to have, I found it to be an entirely different piece alltogether. Does it provide punch? yeah, it should it's a 10", lows? not at any usefull decibel range. Please demo a few other's before buying this one, do yourself a big favor. For that kinda money their is few to look at.

Similar Products Used:

polk psw-150 (can get for 500$) velodyne ct-120(900$) paradigm pw-2200(800$) -still own- *the polk is sweet and decent price, but just not enough there for me

[Nov 26, 2002]
ayberk gursoy
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

power,very solidly built

none

totally unbeilivable.very very powerfull,you cant underpower it in normal use.very clean sound,i use it both for cinema and music.infact i cut all frequencies below 80 hz to subwoofer.it sounds great.i didn't hear any port noise other users mentioned

[Nov 22, 2002]
fajt alan
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

High power,god value for that money.Amplifier with 800 wats 100hz 6 ohm thd. 10% (japanese web sites)

none

I was impresed with this subwoofer.800 wats digital amplifier,10 inch driver, 4 inch voice coil, solid bild cabinet...Very god working in music,but in movie its fantastic!