Yamaha NS-777 Floorstanding Speakers

Available At:
NS-777

High sensitivity and wide dynamic range for contemporary digital sources .Waveguide horn allows the sound field to be shaped and controlled for optimal spatial expression in home theater environments.

• High sensitivity and wide dynamic range for contemporary digital sources
  • Waveguide horn allows the sound field to be shaped and controlled for optimal spatial expression in home theater environments
  • Polymer-injected Mica Diaphragm cone woofer combines high-performance materials and design for extreme accuracy
  • Highest quality internal Monster Cable wiring
  • High frequency response dome tweeter delivers clear, natural highs
  • Bi-wiring connectivity
  • Beautiful Yamaha piano finish with elegant elliptical form

Audiohead   AudioPhile [Dec 18, 2015]

I recently purchased a pair of these but, i've read the reviews before i did. The only other pair of Yamaha speakers i've owned were NS5's, that was 1979 and i lived with those for a couple years. I've tried other Japanese speakers and for a long time didn't bother with them. Like the cars they build, they've greatly improved the quality of their speaker systems, at least in this case, Yamaha has and they have a hit with this one! Many reviewers gave this speaker a good rating and my experience with these says they were modest in their ratings, that's why i've rated them 5 of 5 stars.

Some claim they were light on the bass and need a subwoofer and i can't see in the cats meow why they said that, imho, not the case at all, unless you use them in a theatre system, i use them in a 2 channel configuration and like some others said, bass is clean and tight, no slop in these at all and I'm very impressed with their performance. They're not exactly easy to drive, they like a lot of current and between my Threshold Stasis 3 and Bryston 4B amps, that's not an issue with me and oh man do they sing! $100 is what i paid for them and I'm NOT disappointed one bit!

I'll concur with many others and tell you this, if you're looking for something like these and you can get your hands on them, you'd be WISE to spring for them, i would've easily paid more then double for them but, the guy i bought them from needed the money. You won't be upset, they grow on you QUICKLY!

Available At:
Levi W   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 18, 2014]

If you can still find these speakers NOS, get them. I bought a pair on clearance for around $200 for both at a Best Buy over 10 years ago. Replacing an older set of Bose. They just "looked" like they were formidable in their style / workmanship and sounded quite good in the store. Folks, $200 for a pair of decent front speakers is chump change. Even a decade ago, I was floored by the price/value ratio. Over the years, I've compared these to much more expensive brands, speaker exclusive audiophile brands, etc, and with high end AV receivers, equipment from the likes of Nad, Arcam, Cambridge, Marantz, etc. I finally settled on a Yamaha RXV-663 to power these in a 2 channel stereo configuration, pretty much a stand alone audio system, using HT components. The sound rivals some of the systems I've heard and owned that cost ten times the amount. This is certainly the best $200 I've ever spent on any type of audio gear, and the fact they are made for HT applications makes it even more amazing. With a decent 90-100 WPC amp, and at least one subwoofer to enhance the bottom end, these speakers will not disappoint any but the most nitpicky audiophiles out there, which for their price point, there just is not a really good comparison to be made. And 10 years of flawless performance? 200 bucks? A no brainer. First class for the money.

William   AudioPhile [Jan 01, 2012]

Yamaha. What can we say about the yamaha recievers? They are fabulous!!! Everyone knows that yamaha had built a great reputation based on their receivers. Many of us scream " Yamaha !!! " at those who use Denon, and Kenwood receivers. But since the time has evolved, so had the yamaha, with their new floor speaker, called.... " Yamaha NS-777 ".
I will consider myself a speakerphile; the way the speakers look, sound and provide that nice pleasure to your ears, is something I cherish, value and enjoy! I believe that each speaker has it's own personality. I believe that there is no such thing as a bad speaker or the best speaker. Everyone has their tastes, their preference and their style. With all kinds of speakers built around the globe, you can definitely find the one that you love.
( The Story ) - The very first thing that had attracted me to these yamaha's, was the amazing design. Shiny gloss reflective and smooth texture, is an eyegasm for anyone staring at these. This type of design makes them completely presentable to anyone and can blow anyones mind with how stunning they look!!!!
Setting these speakers up and trying a few songs, had made my smile twich to a frown with each click of the " skip " button on my mp3 player. Some songs sounded great through these, while others were just horrible!! I must say, I had come to a dissapointed state with these, and just began believing that maybe it's just the BRAND that is brainwashing the consumers into saying these are the best. However, that was not the case after I found out the small detail that i have found out. ( Small Detail ) One of the features, that probably not all of us know about yamaha, is that this company provides a product which many of us doubt after listening to it. Going to the Yamaha website itself, they have provided a description about their speakers. The way they made their speakers was that, whatever source you have, that is what you are going to hear. In other words, there is no coloring or optimization sound, what you give is what you are going to get.
( Auditioning ) I enjoy various styles of music, and I have tried artists like Breaking Benjamin, Enya, Andrea Bocelli, Delerium, Yanni, Libera, and many many other genres. I was quite pleased with all of these.
Some do say that these speakers lack bass, I believe otherwise. Bass if tight and defined, mids are well present and the highs are shiny in a comfortable sense. Having these in a small room, isn't the best idea because they don't sound as open as they would in a good sized living room. One of the features that are quite well thought through, is the bass port. There are 2 bass ports located in the rear of each speaker, and IMHO, i believe that this allows the bass to travel from the wall and unto the floor much easier. Therefore allowing the listener to experience a deeper bass extension. No need to worry though on how far you should set these speakers from the wall, since the feet that are located on the bottom, provide a measuring distance.

Overall, I'm very happy with these speakers!!! To me, they sound great, and provide a wonderful frequency range. If you are someone who enjoys auditioning/owning good speakers, and you are very open minded, I would recommend these to you. Sure the popular phrase " You get what you pay for " travels around everywhere. But you should listen to yourself, and think " Does the price really define my reaction to this product? Or should I have a listen first, and be blind to the cost? "

I'm looking forward to reviewing these speakers and posting it up on youtube, in a week from now. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Maggymortis   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 25, 2009]

Been using these speakers for more then a year. So here's my list of pros and cons. I've been using them as front speakers in my surround system. But I've also used them in stereo.

Good things:
1) Sound is pretty crisp. I especially love the to hear classical music on these speakers. The sound is very authentic.
2) The value for money is great. These speakers are cheap.
3) They are God Damn Beautiful!
4) The Authentic is pretty damn good for movies. Still can't compete with a good sub-woofer though.

Bad Things
1) Deeper tones/lower frequency range is a bit too low for my liking. They are not great for listening to rock. However, I haven't tried them with a proper Stereo amplifier yet, and my Denon 1907 surround receiver doesn't allow me to set the sound "on the fly". I hate fiddling with the settings in various sub-menus everytime I change my listening desires.
2) The piano finish looks great. But don't forget you have to clean it all the time. It's very susceptible to dust, greasy fingers and wet doggy noses :D

All in all:
Great cheap starter set. The lower frequencies needs a bit of a boosting. But a good sub can help on that. I at least am very happy with mine.

dennism   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 24, 2007]
Strength:

Sound quality
Finish
Price

Not included in the package!!!!

Using it with a Yamaha RX-797 stereo receiver, coupled to a Sony player and Yamaha EQ-70 equalizer. I am really impressed with the way the speakers put out sound, deep yet crisp covers good frequency range. The piano gloss finish is very classy and elegant. A very good buy for the price.

Similar Products Used: Philips, Sony, Yamaha
McKulit   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 10, 2006]
Strength:

Clarity

Lack of bass punch

I'll be brief with my review and I will not go through the technical details. This review is solely based on my personal tests. 1. Use the Bi-Wiring feature to increase clarity on mid and high response. 2. I compensated the lack of bass with one Yamaha 250 watt subwoofer on each side (L&R main). 3. Definitely a steal for the price. 4. Awesome for home theater application. In Yamaha's website this is clearly defined as a home theater speaker anyway. 5. OK to moderate for music application. The addition of two Yamaha subs increased the overall body of the music. To sum it up. Grab it while you can. This baby is an excellent home theater speaker.

jcgiokat@msn.com   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 24, 2005]
Strength:

piano gloss

needs more bass big bluff

well let me say that i got these a couple of years ago and i loved them alot i always said to my self 200 each that was very cheap for such great looking speaker the piano finish is outstanding and they sound great you need a sub it is a must anyways they ara large but good if you have the space . well went to best vbuy last year and seen the one sale for 175 a pair .well they look good but dont sound better than they look .

Similar Products Used: sapphire st2
Firest0rms   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 31, 2004]
Strength:

-Crisp not harsh, highs. -Great Detail. -Very blended sound. -Good bass extension. -Bi-wireable (I don't use this) -Beautiful black piano finish

-Full time maid required to keep dust and finger prints off. -a little heavy (if thats even a weakness) -waveguide horn requires good placement -Low WAF (wife acceptance factor)? (not sure maybe) -might be hard to find other than online -nothing else at this price!!

I originally heard these speakers at BB and was impressed. However I had the Athena AS-F2's (also very good). I then lost some of my equipment including my AS-F2's in a car accident! So I started looking at speakers again. Don't be blinded by Bose, any serious speaker enthusiast will tell you that. I listened to many speakers again, including B&W's and Athena, and seriously considered Axiom for a while. I have a Friend who got the NS-777's for a pretty good deal online so I checked them out and they sounded great, again! So I jumped the gun and got a great deal online, with money left over to get the NS-555 for my rears! I have not regretted it! These speakers are awesome! I have them hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX, The detail and clarity is amazing! any kind of music I throw at it sounds absolutely amazing! The mid range is much better than my AS-F2's so I’m hearing things I've never heard before on my old CD's! For movies I don't have a subwoofer (yet) so my bass is routed to the main NS-777's and they haven't let me down yet! My AS-F2's might have extended a little lower but these make up in every other way! I watched Star Wars Episode I the other day and could feel the bass shake my chair during the pod races! Did I mention they look great with the black piano finish?

Similar Products Used: Athena, Klipsch, Infinity, Cerwin Vega, other crap, auditioned others like Polk, B&W, etc.
agidol   Casual Listener [Jul 19, 2004]
Strength:

Treble sounded clear. cheap price...but there was a reason.

Where's Bass? they have 2 woofers but I don't hear them much... alsoOutput seemed weak despite the 250watt they boast.

I decided to try these speakers after reading rave reviews here as well as from Best Buy salesmen. I was hoping to replace my Bose 701 speakers with these (after listening to those Bose Bashing threads I wanted to see if I was truly missing something). Well I understand that Yamaha's known for instruments and AV receivers but not for speakers...and now I know why. These heavy monsters weighed nearly 120 pounds and I was sorry I dragged them into my living room when I first heard their sound. Although they boast 3 way sound, these things hardly had any bass...and Best buy said their bass will blow Bose away..they were dead wrong. I have to admit their highs were more clear than Bose's but their overall their sound was not even close to the rich range Bose produced. While I can see that comparing unknown yamaha speakers to much more expensive Bose speakers may be a little unfair I was expecting a lot more from these speakers.

Similar Products Used: Bose 701 --- man I'm keeping these.
derajer   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

Great range, good value, awesome appearance, biwireable

upfront, restrained bass(could be good or bad depending on your preferences)

Receiver used:Yamaha HTR-5590 Cables:THX Certified Monster As I have stated in my previous reviews I am an audio salesperson who gets to test and play with the toys we sell using many different combinations so that I can give accurate long term auditions. These speakers are most certainly an excellent value. Their piano finish appearance is bold and stylish but may be too bold for some. At any rate they certainly don't look like anything else on the market. The NS-777s are a 3-way speaker with dual 8-inch drivers, and include biwiring capabilities. They have great clarity and power but do not have quite the rich, full-bodied sound that some similarly priced speakers have. They have tight response with good full range sound but are a tad too flat and upfront. They have clean but somewhat restrained bass, this is a feature some people will enjoy very much while others will find disappointing. The highs are not to bright and have excellent range reaching up to 35KHz, but are a little on the metallic side. Overall these are excellent speakers particularly for those who enjoy classical, jazz, and other music that has a lot of midbass but don't want pounding rap-like bass.