Technics SB-CR33 Floorstanding Speakers

Technics SB-CR33 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 26, 2019]
Jons_Audio

Strength:

They will surprise you. They look nice but they also look kind of cheap (honestly they kinda are) but they will handle some power & pump some base! I think they definitely sound better than they look like they would sound.

Highs are actually pretty decent but it does lack a little bit in definition of certain tones. You can tell it is missing that mid range but they still sound surprisingly well.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Aug 15, 2016]
Myron
AudioPhile

A years back one of my electrostatic spearers gave up the ghost, after having them for 30 years. These speakers did not go super high or super low, but what they did do they did better then any other speaker. I hated to have to let them go, no way for me to fix them. I bought a pair of these Technics SB-CR33 speakers, just to hook-up to the TV , we all know flat screen TVs have the poorest sound system, well I figured anything would be an improvement. I was surprized at how good these speakers sounded, clean , transparent, quick, and seem to lack any coloration, these are really a real sleeper of speaker, tend to buy a second set just so I can have spear parts on hand if needed. You certainly could spend more and do a lot worse veary easly, but to get a better bang for the buck would be a tough challange. I woulde give it a rating rating of 4.8 out of 5.0

[Sep 28, 2014]
Keefer
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my pair shortly after I graduated college to pair with a couple Marantz tube amps (1 per side) that my roommate got through his work at a moving / storage place. OMG what a match - supposedly that model of Marantz was only rated at 30 watts but it made lots of really great sounds (and was louder than my current 100 watt solid state system). Eventually I screwed up and let one of the amps fry. I really hadn't used them since (switched to home theater) but recently hooked them up to a little Pyle amp with a phono and a preamp for vinyl and I still gotta say - WOW.... if you can find a pair then I doubt you will be disappointed.

[Jul 10, 2014]
Pjh1469
AudioPhile

I was looking for a decent RECIEVER at local yard sales about 8 years ago and found one,I ask to hear it,the guy had the RECIEVER hooked up to a fm tuner and these Technics speakers,they sounded so great I bought the speakers too.
If you have these hooked up to a nice decent RECIEVER with a good CD player you will be amazed! These are absolutely crisp! Nice ear piercing highs and low low bass.I only paid $20.00 for my pair.Dont expect them to shake your house but they are loud,very loud.
I currently have them hooked up to a pro-ject carbon turntable and I love them.

[Jul 13, 2013]
michael garrison
AudioPhile

I picked up a pair of the SB CR 33s at a thrift sale the other day for $5. They were covered in dirt, mud and bird poop(must have been in a barn) but the cabinets and drivers all looked good so I took them home and cleaned them up. They cleaned up pretty easy. I was suprised how good the sound was for cheaply made speakers. Bass is strong and extended and the over all sound is quite smooth and natural with a nice sense of openness.You can improve the sound by putting some filler inside since they don't come with any. You'll get a tighter sound with even better bass but make sure there is still some air space for the port.These are a rweal sleeper in the low price range IMHO.

[Feb 11, 2013]
Mason Mann
AudioPhile

I have a pair of technics SB-CR55 3way speaker system and they are awesome crisp sound have a lot of bass and pack a bit of a punch for why they are I love them and I would recommend them for anyone!!

[Jul 25, 2010]
Donovan
Casual Listener

I purchased these a couple months ago at a local Goodwill store for 30 bucks. My brother in law is a big audio and sound guy, and he said these were good. These are my first real nice speakers for my room and let me say these are loud! I purchased a $30 sherwood receiver off craigslist and it pumps out power! The 10 inch subs are loud. You can feel it in the walls all over the house, and my house has thick walls. I am very happy with my purchase. Hope this helps!

[Sep 12, 2009]
dakatabg
AudioPhile

I bought those speakers from craigslist and they sound decent! They are not the greatest but they are not and the worse. Good speakers with some bass and good highs. They got some power but not much for my amplifier Kenwood! With 2 words good 2 way speakers.

[Jun 22, 2003]
debbie gibson
Casual Listener

Strength:

my mom said "turn it down"

i bought a warranty for them and didn't need it

i bought these speakers in late 1999 / early 2000. i'm not an audiophile by any means, so don't get my review wrong here. what i heard was fine. the bass was low enough, the treble was high enough. i mean, what do you expect for about a hundred bucks? not much, i'd assume, so i'll leave it at that. but what i liked is that when i hooked them up, i didn't think "these speakers are crap." i thought, "these sound great." (the first CD i listened to, by the way, was Faith No More's "Album of the Year".) so try and listen to them before you buy. of course, by now you'd be buying used ("now" is 06/22/03). i don't think you'd be paying much more than $60/pr, so just go for it if you like the way it sounds. after all, for $60 or less, you could put them in your dog's luxury doghouse and not even blink twice. who cares. i don't.

[May 27, 2003]
Matthew Kemmerer
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

cheap. not too bad of sound quality, but well worth the 8 years I got out of them.

I've had them for 7 or 8 years, so I got plenty of use out of them. the sound quality isn't too bad. I'm happy with them. I have surround sound, a high quality pioneer sx-838 reciever, and a 10-band dual eq, so all that helps the sound of them. my technics speakers are 140 watts each. the manual for my vintage pioneer sx-838 says it's 50 watts. sometime in the past few months, I blew out the woofer in the one speaker. pioneer made some great stereo's back in the 70's and 80's. I have a 1000 watt sub in a cerwin-vega box, with a 400 watt kenwood car amp on a 1200 watt home made power supply, all sitting right next to that speaker, so I don't even knotice the difference.