Sony SS-MB105 Floorstanding Speakers

SS-MB105

Small, inexpensive ported 2-way with Sony's HOP woofer-cone material

ANONYMOUS   Casual Listener [Mar 18, 2010]

Im no audio enthusiast or audiophile and no i haven't been dedicated to music my whole life (less than 18 years) so dont start hating on me that im wrong or anything. Like i said im not an enthusaist but i do like listening to music and movies without headphones whenever i can and lately ive started to like speakers recievers etc. but so far in the time i've used them the Sony 105'shave been adequate enough in my opinion. I use them as fronts in a small 5.1 system in my room (im a minor and still live with my parents) and they have been working pretty well although at slightly higher volumes you can hear some small popping sounds when there is gunfire a door slamming or other loud BANG kind of sounds. Also they are not very good for bass, as i figured out when i plugged them into my Denon PMA-737, so i plugged them into my Yamaha reciever and they work pretty well. But then again im not complaining because i found these in the dumpster when someone moved out of my apartments lol. Same thing with my Kenwood surrounds so im good till someone throws out a better pair lol. Their size is pretty nice though, because their so small and light you can put them just about anywhere (which is good because my room aint all that big :/ ). So overall if you can find them pretty cheap ( $30 and under) i defintely recomend them. For $40 and over listen to them first if you can and see if you like them.

Jon   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 06, 2009]

I picked these up at a local junk store. 4 dollars for the pair - I was surprised they work as new. They must have only been used as rears in a surround system because after a few hours with no bass the woofers finally broke in and have tight bass down to it's limit. Obviously you should run these with a sub but the midrange is actually quite open, and the highs are pretty clear if overstated in the 2-3k range, probably due to lack of x-over on the woofer, perhaps im hearing some breakup, nothing I can't deal with. I needed to go smaller with my speakers due to size constraints on my room and when these things don't need to handle 60hz and under they really shine.

COGarcia   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 23, 2002]
Strength:

Um....small, inexpensive. The woofer material is nice though, too bad the rest of the speaker is handicapped

No crossover(can you believe that?), Sony''s awful tweeter, extended response? what the heck is that, how about accurate response.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of these. No crossover makes the midrange muffled and the tweeters are totally offensive. No differentiation in cymbals, high voices, breathe, etc. Everything high is a hiss. I purchased these because I had $50 left on a Circuit City gift card and needed a quick set of surrounds for a JVC reciever I had at the time. They did a decent job as surrounds for that reciever as the surround processor on the JVC left MUCH to be desired. It was my first foray into Dolby Digital and DTS, though not surround in general. When I upgraded(beleive me it was an upgrade!) to a Technics SA-DA8N receiver it all changed. There were actually voices in the surround channels, and true discreet sound! The quality of speaker made a much bigger difference, and so the Sonys had to go. Also, the amplifier section of the Technics is so much cleaner that I started listening to more music than movies. The only thing this speaker is worse at than movies is music, absolutely unbearable. If you have purchased a decent receiver do not use these speakers anywhere in your system, you are throwing your money away, you might as well have bought a KLH receiver. When I bought a TEAC micro system I figured the Sony''s had to be better than the factory speakers although the system was $300. Thou shalt never assume! They were so much worse than the factory speakers I could not believe I actually paid money for these. Don''t accuse me of being a sony-hater, I have their SAWM40 subwoofer and a CD player in my main system and they are both great products had for great prices.

Similar Products Used: Polk Audio, Klipsch, Acoustic Research
Tommy Sullivan   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 19, 2000]
Strength:

very cheap. And can handle just about anything you throw at them.

NONE

i had the polk rt35i and i could not even turn the bass up that much and they would pop so i took those back and got the polk rt800i only to get those home and crank them up and find that one of the 6 1/2 had blown so i took those back and i said im just gonna try a real cheap pair of speaker's so i bought the sony ss-mb105 brought those home and cranked them and i was like damn i can play my onkyo-tx-ds676 on full blast and hear no strains or distortion or pops or anything just loud clear sound and thats with the bass all the way up.......

Similar Products Used: Polk rt35i,polk rt800i
Chris   Casual Listener [Mar 07, 2001]
Strength:

Decent Bass.

Flat, Hollow Sounding. Very poor midrange.

My wife wanted some small surround or bookshelf speakers to put in the kitchen. She wanted to keep the price under $75. After reading the good reviews here and a $45 price for a pair at Sears I bought them.

Boy was this purchase a mistake!

These sound like crap. They sound muffled and have absolutely no midrange. Even my wife who is damn near tone deaf said the cheesy Emerson boombox sounded better! I can get them to sound better by pushing 1-6 kHz up a good 6db with the EQ, but then my main speakers sound horrible.

After opening up the speaker I can see why they have such an uneven response. There is no crossover - just a single cap on the tweeter! The woofer is trying to produce the full range instead of being cleanly rolled off. The tweeter is high passed at 12 kHz with a 1.5 uF cap in series. This really explains the giant hole in the mid-range response and why what is there sounds muddy.

I'm going to try upping the cap to 2.2 and see if that helps the mid-range (it really needs a proper cross-over). They're probably going back to the store, especially if I can talk to wife into buying a set of Polk RT15 speakers or something similar.

-Chris

Michael Sisk   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 06, 2000]
Strength:

Great Price and great sound.

Can't handle deep bass.

These are some great little speakers. I bought them at Best Buy for $60 for the pair to replace my budget JBL speakers. These were much cleaner and had much better treble. I actually have these speakers connected to my receiver which is connected to my computer. But I'm sure they would make some good surround speakers. Considering, I'm only sitting about two feet away from them, they get very loud. Only problem, is that they don't handle deep bass very well in rap music or DVD movies. I hope to get the 12" Sony sub-woofer soon, so that should fix that. With the sub, I'm sure I'll be getting better and louder sound than the Klipsch Pro-media speakers. Considering that these speakers are now only $50 for a pair, they are an incredible deal.

Similar Products Used: Budget JBL bookshelf speakers.
Doug DeMarco   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 23, 2000]
Strength:

Price, powerhandling, size

none

One of the best deals going. Try to pay less for a 100watt speaker, nevermind one that sounds this good. I use them for my rear channels in my home theatre and they work great. Ideal for anyone just getting into home theatre or for wiring a sunroom. they're small enough to mount on a wall just about anywhere or place unobtrusively on a bookshelf. They're nothing fancy... but for people looking to spend less than $100 per speaker... these are a great deal.

Squanto   Casual Listener [Feb 23, 2001]
Strength:

Inexpensive and attractive

Weak bass, distorted highs

I am just beginning to put together an inexpensive home theater system and getting into home audio so please forgive me if I am not using the correct terms to describe things.

I purchased the SS-MB105 pair to use as main bookshelf speakers for my JVC RX-6000vbk. I figured that if they were not good enough as mains, I can use them as rear surrounds. I first hearing, I thought they had a decent, full sound. With a clean source, they don't seem too bad.

When I put in a muddier source (nun choir in _The_Sound_of_Music), however, the speakers exhibited a slight buzzing. Even with a good CD recording of orchestra violins, the speakers could not handle the high range without distortion. I decided to try the speakers in the rear channels since the signals are not as loud. Even at lower volumes, I can still hear a slight buzzing with signals that have the least reverb.

The speakers did OK on the bass levels, but could not deliver the punches.

I was auditioning the PRO-LX55's (from Radio Shack!) at the same time and decided to keep the LX55 set of four. Compared to the Sony, the LX55 smoothed out the reverb and gave a much smoother sound. I was also impressed by the range that it handled.

P.S. If you are considering buying Lanzar bookshelf speakers from UBid, don't. Good specs, poor sound, costly shipping, no returns.