Polk Audio LS70 Floorstanding Speakers

LS70

Floor standing speaker

trey09   AudioPhile [Mar 21, 2009]

Baught my pair in mid 95. Pushed by a Carver TFM 35 (Pre Sunfire). The amp takes a few songs to get warmed up, but these guys can STILL fill the room! A much younger audio file when I purchased them, & they have made many journies. I now have family and mortgage and have put my love for high end gear away but have been recently been contemplating and upgrade.... After test driving many... only maybe a new pair of B&W (703's or better) can pull of the sound of these teenagers. If you ever come across a pair of LS70's in good shape - & you get them for a decent price - buy them. They are VERY CLEAR & SMOOTH for the money - and they can still play with just about all the other big boys out there.

before buying......
Inspect the outer edge of the drivers (The rubber/silicone). They will come away from the box and vibrate. Fixed mine... Also take out the speaker connectiion posts and inspect the connections on the inside. They tend to vibrate off or come apart on the inside.

Paid $1200 in 95
Would pay another $1200 for another new pair tomorrow....

uvrosbur   Casual Listener [Sep 09, 2008]
Strength:

Beautiful Highs, smooth sound, great base.

A bit more directional than I would prefer, but my speaker layout at home isn't idea. Maybe when we next rearrange the furnature it will sound better.

I saw these speakers at a DI (Goodwill thrift story type) and knew I had a find. There were no markings on these to tell me the manufacturer. The sound was amazing, but it still took me 3 months to figure out who made these. I have a neighbor that is a high end audio enthusiest. He definitely said I won on this one. I agree.

They sound absolutely wonderful. Best with Jazz and Rock, but not bad with any music. My wife doesn't understand high end audo, but she did agree that these have a wonderful smooth sound.

I had been an audiophile back in the 70's and early 80's. But had to sell off my equipment for other changes in life. I had been trying to get back into high end audio on a nickle budget (all my wife will allow).

So in this case, I won the lottery! For $15 my wife didnt' complain (too much).

John W.   Audio Enthusiast [May 31, 2008]
Strength:

Great sounding, low power requirement and very stylish enclosures.

Cheap, flimsy grill and mounting tabs.

Used to sell stereo equipment and drooled over these speakers for years. They came up in a local pawn shop for a good price and I snapped them up pronto-so glad I did.

Sold most every brand and these babies were and still are the best sounding, most efficient speakers out there in my humble opinion.

Even a low powered transistor amp can make these perform wonderfully.

If you ever find a pair buy 'em but good luck finding any. Don't look at me-I'm keepin' mine till the cows come home....heeee....heee.

Tooooo bad Polk Audio doesn't make quality products like these any longer. Their recent stuff is, in my opinion, JUNK!

Customer Service

Never needed any-they just keep on working and sounding great!

Similar Products Used: Most all.
Tonysfester   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 14, 2006]
Strength:

This sounds more high quality than any speaker you can purchase at Frys today.

None....

Amazed. I did not know such an old speaker could sound so clear and crisp. Bass is perfect for what a set of fronts should be, enough to rattle the walls while hitting the highs clearly. I am running a harman Kardon AVR5 reciever and I am perfectly happy with this setup. I paid a unreal price for amazing speakers.

spyonu2007   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 08, 2005]
Strength:

Female vocals and horns. Tower of power rips hard through these babies and it does Diana Krull as well as she is live. I love em.

The wife sees them as another black box, the binding posts are plastic coverd cheapness, but then again you dont have to venture back there often.

Enjoyable and fullfilling, easily fills a room and while entertaining guests, they are remarked apon, every time. It is an investent that may last a life time, if not abused. Having had these since 00, I have to say Im starting to get the itch to change again, probably going to pick up a pair of bi-polar paradigm eclipse's to replace these with, they may go up for sale, or may end up in the bedroom.

Similar Products Used: Ive taste tested paradigm monitors, and reference series, I own a set of klipsch klf 20's, and a couple sets of dahlquist dq7's and 7 compacts... All spakers sound different, but these polks perform well.
Rick Berdeski   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 24, 2003]
Strength:

clarity, durability, still in style.

weak grill tabs

The best thing about these speakers is that nothing on the planet touches the sound of them. I considered at the time to buy the ls90s but chose a klipsch sub instead. I couldnt believe the sounds from this speaker. From Van Halen to Harry Connick Jr. Absoulutely crystal.

Similar Products Used: klipsh denon pioneer/elite
Ross   Audiophile [Jan 30, 2002]
Strength:

Fantastic sound: Bass is not overpowering and reproduced according to the recording, mid/treble are briliant.

NONE....But they are HEAVY :)

I am the original owner of these gems (1993). They have traveled across the country and are definately "battleship tough," as one reviewer put it... I am and have been very happy with these speakers and would not consider any of the new products until they fall apart, or Hell just happens to freeze over.... They are coupled to a Carver CT-6 preamp and pushed by a Carver TFM-25 Transfer Function Modified amplifier (225w-ch). I have listened to them at low and very high volume levels, and over the years they have never wavered - The reproduced sound is still uncolored and they seem to get better with age. If you can find a better, more rugged pair of speakers that truly sound fantastic, then please sell me that oceanfront property in Arizona - I'll buy it for a bizillion bucks.... But I bet you won't find any!

Similar Products Used: Polk Monitor 10B's
db   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 27, 2000]
Strength:

wow. overa s/q is astounding

power handeling, not exactly 250 watts

wow. female vocals are incredible. i have worked in the audiophile industry for a few years, and these polks are bad ass. Currently i am running a denon pma 1315r on the, and they handel that pretty well, 115watts rms. I( have a 2101b sansui that will blow the drivers right out w/o a second thought. The plate on the back says compatible with amps 20-250 watts. Let it be known that 250 wats is a max on music dynamic power. 80 to 100 continous is pushing these to the point that you know to back off. All and all, i love them. The slanted sides look great, i will buy a pair of 90's when i find a good deal. Though used the price i paid was a bargain for what i got.

Similar Products Used: monitor series paradigm, studio series paradigm, alons capri
bill a   Audio Enthusiast [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

sensitivity, imaging

plastic grill tabs

I bought my ls70's as returns. cost me $700. Used them with a sansui 150 watt receiver that weighed more than the speakers, that was one heavy receiver, G-9000. They played that receiver to death. Rotten amp failed me, started humming, so I began looking for another amp. Found a pair of Jap heathkit w4 knockoffs, modified the power supply, and my world was reformed!!!!!! Try lenny kravitz' song sister on these units. The room disappears, and lenny starts singing above your head. My fat sister-in-law who hates me begrudgingly admitted this was the finest musical experience she ever had. It schooled everyone who listened to them. 300b amps play on these units with enough power to fill a large room. Rosewood finish is awesome, and the cabinet is old fashioned battleship tough. Sold them to some professor for $750. Wish I had them back. Lenny, I lost you for a measly $50.

Similar Products Used: laScala, edgarhorns, tad, electrovoice, stephens--mostly horn systems
Jimmy   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity, detail, soundstage.

None that I have come across as yet.

These speakers were an early (one week) birthday present to myself. I kind of felt that I may have overpaid for them but then I called Polk and one of their tech support staff member told me that $550 is average for these speakers. Not bad considering their original price was $1200 for the pair!

I am more than satisfied with these speakers up to this point. And I haven't even biwired them yet. (That's next!) I have played jazz, classical, blues, rock, pop, R&B, and Spanish music through them and I have been delighted with the clarity with which all musical detail is reproduced. I am not one for thumping, boomy bass. I prefer a more natural sounding bass and the LS70's do not disappoint. Don't get me wrong, the bass can be powerful if that's how it was recorded on the album but it is a refined and passionate tone that is reproduced in the lower registers. The mid's are extraordinary, not to mention the highs, which displayed an airy timbre. The way I have been experiencing music through these speakers, I feel as if though I have upgraded all of my equipment at one time.

The LS70's reproduce a soundstage that is wide and clearly defined. As I listened to some jazz albums with closed eyes, I felt as if I could see the musicians, their instruments, and where they are seated -- both across the soundstage and from front to back. I could almost swear the musicians were physically in front of me. The sounds are expressed individually and there is little, if any, merging of sounds. When there was some merging of positions, it had more to do with the recording than the speakers themselves.

I recommend, without hesitation, the Polk Audio LS70's. I think it would be very hard to beat them for the money. Grab a pair, if you could find them. I have found myself being enveloped by the LS70's musical delivery time and time again. This is the best birthday gift I have given myself in a while. And it is a gift I will enjoy for years to come.

Similar Products Used: Polk Audio Monitor 7C, Polk Audio RT10, Polk Audio RT 5, and Polk Audio CS250.