Mission 753 Freedom Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[May 07, 2017]
John
Audio Enthusiast

My Mission 753 plus Audiolab 8000A and 8000 went with us to Korean in 2000. They used for about 1 year, in Korea and then stayed in storage for 15 years to Hong Kong and Paris. Finally recovered our old house in 2016 with enough space. I just plugged them all in and they worked beautifully. immediately Fantastic kit! Same story for my Honda motorbike!

[Dec 20, 2014]
Mozzy
Audio Enthusiast

I'd owned a set of bi-wired Mission 753's to run off my Audiolab 8000P and 8000A with a TEAC CD player. Leads were mostly VDH.

I ran them in by opposite wiring then stood them face to face for about three days. Ran them all that time increasing volume every few hours.

In the end they were just amazing. I've listened to £10K plus systems and to-date have never n=bettered what I had.

Now, I am with iPod 5G Touch and looking at a Mission Aero. If I could I would have my Rosewood 753's back in a thrice!

[Sep 29, 2013]
drdbiswas
Audio Enthusiast

Mission 753 floorstanding with Audiolab 8000A amplifier has produced magic at my home for last 20 years. In my current location, I spent nearly 100 hours of research and approx $4000 for an AVR plus a pair of floorstanding and they don't remotely match the sound quality I am accustomed to. Do not ever miss a chance to grab a pair however "old" they may be and you will be profusely thanking me.

[Feb 08, 2011]
nosirrahnad
Audio Enthusiast

I have had the mission 753 for about 2 month now and lets just say, thay haven`t been off.
I cant find enough music to put on them and i own a lot.

I am only 27 my self and have been listening to music since birth with a father that lives his life round his hifi. I have know the 753 from them coming out and him buying a pair "which sounded brill" he had them some time before letting them go, which to this day he said he wish he hadn`t,

I have now bought some for a little fee of £50, yep i robed them. and all i keep gettin told by my father is "dont turn your back or ill have them"

They re sat in my 7.5m x 5m room running from an arcam cd92 cd player and powered by a musical fidelity a3 and musical fidelity a3 cr power amplifier with qunex silver spiral, cable`s. the bass is deep and accurate, with a crisp clear top end, i have removed th tweeter mesh which removes the strange noise when hitting high notes at volume and sounds loads better,

i listen to a wide range of music but to try ant speaker i use the old "yazoo, ode to boy" and "judie tzuke`s all at sea" from the album songs for vocal which makes the 753`s sound in ther place,

above most other speakers made.

[Jun 29, 2010]
PATROCKET
Audio Enthusiast

I bought the Mission 753 (non Freedom) and was impressed by the sound they can produce,
since they for about +/- 15 years old speakers.

They don't have to envy any of today's speakers, because they delivers quality sounds.

The sound is clean, smooth, articulate and detail for speakers that have been on the market
for so long, that is a sign of quality in all the building process.

I've owned B&W DM640i (to bright), Paradigm Studio 60 v2 (very good overall sound, but a bit laidback),
Paradigm Studio 60 v4 (very good overall sound, but the tweeter is bit foward/bright) .

The only drawback, they are not for big bass lover, the 753' bass is a little bit on the thin side
but still present .

The 753 are especially good on vocals and are a great all rounders.

[Feb 12, 2010]
Caesar
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a pair of 753s in saudi arabia way back 1997, brought these here in australia and still using it with marantz amp for me still getting sounds that' perfect.

[Oct 20, 2008]
aasenatrix
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Accurate Bass
Amazing Vocal Range
Accurate Reproduction
Go Out and Get a Pair!!

You must have a good receiver and or amp. If you can't drive 6ohm speakers with the equipment you have, or cannot give the 753s the watts they need and deserve your soundstage will suffer.

When I first purchased this set of speakers, I was a little skeptical based on their age. I bought used in 2007, taking a chance on the fact that mission builds a tough product that can stand up to the test of time. I have never made a better speaker purchase. Built in 1994, my set of 753s are a beautiful rosewood finish; they are not only a speaker, but also a piece of furniture. The quality of the wood finish far surpasses most speakers built today. After a good shining the sides of my speakers make my wife's antique buffet look shoddy and cheap.

As for the sound, when I first bought them, I was worried by reviews quoting a lack of low-end sound. Wrong!! After plugging the Missions into my H/K 3480 stereo receiver(delivering 145wpc into 6ohms) I was impressed to say the least. I couldn't believe my ears, an 13 year old set of speakers shaking the depths of my soul. I verified what I heard (and felt) with a sound analyzer. I got a reading of 35hz at the low end with my receiver louder then I ever usually listen. The dual mid-range speakers, combined with one of missions excellent dome tweeters deliver clear, rich voice with no distortion.

In all, if you haven't had the pleasure of owning a set of 753s, you are missing out on music in general. Mission has once again impressed me with the quality of what they produce....for the price of a pair today, you cannot beat these hand made, English powerhouses.

Customer Service

Even in 2007, mission is still willing to provide replacement drivers via reps in Canada. These guys really stand by their products!

Mission E84
B&W DM 604
Energy RC-70

[Apr 12, 2008]
pat.cree
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Superb sound. Godd looks, build quality. Longevity. Do you know of another speaker with 5 drive units?

Cannot think of any.

I have had my Mission 753s for 13 years. For most of that time they have been driven by an Arcam Xeta 1 home cinema/stereo audiophile amp. They were initially bi-wired, but after about a year I bi-amped them with a Xeta 290P power amp.

These speakers really respond to bi-amping. IMHO they are superb performers when driven by single cables, but the improvement in all areas from bi-amping is amazing.

Several years ago my hifi dealer lent me an "entry level" Rega subwoofer to audition against the Missions (already bi-amped), but it made no significant improvement over the Mission 753s bottom end response. If any users have trouble with bottom end response I would suggest bi-amping, or an amp/source upgrade.

My current setup uses an Arcam AVR300 driving the 753s in b-amp mode with 75c centre and M6ds surrounds. The 75c is driven (bi-amped) by my old Xeta 290P. This combo plays vinyl (Rega Planar 3/RegaExact) CDs (ancient Marantz 63SE - still brilliant) VCR tapes (ancient Sony VCR EL70) DVDs and PC based sound. Believe me. there IS a huge difference between Dolby Digital and DTS!

Customer Service

Never required. I queried Mission about matching the 753s with the surrounds and got a quick response.

Similar Products Used:

Previous speakers were Kef Kit 1 (circa 1975). Not bad, but couldn't match the Missions. By the way, they still work.

[Nov 15, 2002]
Wouter Planken
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

versatility, clean high- and midband

requests strong amp, setup towards wall critical.

A while ago I moved back to my parents house for my workstudy. And the speakers had to go also. After the moving in and spending a couple of days moving the the speakers and listening I decided that the speakers where best placed 70cm from the wall and I concluded that the speakers are to big for my small bedroom (4m x 6m)" The bassrespons an stereo image was much better in my former house. But now I changed the cables to Profigold and turned the speakers more inwards the soundstage was much more statisfactory and the sound came alive. The lack of bass due to the placement off the walls is soon going to be solved by building a DIY adire shiva sub. The good thing about these speakers is that they sound pleasing with any kind of music. I especially like the midband and the forwarded highs. (I own the 753 with metal dome tweeters) You will need decent amp for these speakers otherwise they will sound dull and tend to have less dynamics. I drive them with an Onkyo M-502 pre-amped by a sansui au-7900 (soon to be replaced by a Marants 5300) For the price paid the speakers are a bargain and I'm a statisfied listener.

Mission 761i

[Jul 21, 2002]
Eddie Davies
AudioPhile

Strength:

detial, awesome at high volumes, very loud, detailed.

need lots of power, need the best to get the best from them.

very good speaker, mine are not the freedoms prefere mine to freedoms they sound more crisp and realistic in the treble dept. they are awesome at high volumes really hit the chest but they can become fatiguing and harsh if the wrong equipment used. they say the bass is light it not its tight. i would love to hear them with some top quality equipment so im only going to give them a 4 star.

other missions