Klipsch KG 4 Floorstanding Speakers

KG 4

Medium sized horn speakers

MacArthur   AudioPhile [Jul 19, 2015]

Driven by the Yamaha CR1020 in a small acoustically dead living room, these KG-4s are simply superb. The tests are Bach's St. Matthew Passion on Angel vinyl and the Living Stereo Sheherezade (Reiner) vinyl. The Klipsch tag claims 38 to 20K +/- 3 db and I hear no deviation from that. At current Ebay prices (2015) of $300 to $500 these are certainly a bargain.

Cory   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2015]

I just got a set of these recently to play with my late sixties vintage Sansui 350receiver. I don't know if its the speakers or the design of Sansui's first SS receivers, mine is 22 watts per channel, but the sound is incredibly smooth and sweet. The real deal with vintage receivers. Great with vinyl or CD's. Very efficient, on my little receiver it gets loud past ten o'clock on the volume indicator. Like these with any genre. Good with everything.

bob.nonni   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 12, 2014]

Klipsch KG-4

I love these speakers so much that I have 4 of them stacked two on two I have rebuilt the ti tweeters and crossovers from bob crites I have resealed the drivers with better gaskets I did removed the base platforms and tilt them back 10 degrees, towed them in at 30 degrees 8 feet apart 2 feet from back wall 4 feet from side wall, they being driven with a Yamaha 85 watt a side and at 9 o clock they rock. I spent 2 grand on new speakers to try to better the sound big mistake took a loss on trading them back and back to the Klipsch now I love them more than ever . Don't spend your money on new speakers pick up a pair or two pair have them upgraded and sit back and enjoy. I have been doing this for 20 years looking for the perfect sound I'm done looking .

Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 23, 2014]

I still have my vintage 1986 Klipsch KG4's that I purchased new, but they had become a bit dull in the mids and one horn seemed to slightly clip. I have kept these in pristine condition other than playing them really loud for two decades. Not wanting to try soldering myself, I removed the horns and the crossovers and sent everything to Crites to rebuild the crossover and put in the upgraded titanium diaphrams in the horns.Total cost was $200 shipped back to my door. I have always loved these speakers, but the upgrades have me hearing things I haven't heard in years deep within some of my favorite tracks. I can't compare the present to 1986, but I would venture to say that these sound much better than they ever did, and as good or better than anything less than $1200 a pair I have listened to anywhere else. Putting the horns and crossovers back in takes 5 minutes with a screwdriver, and for under $200 these speakers sound great and are ready to do so for another 20 years. They don't make them like this anymore. If you have a pair, hang onto them and consider this cheap upgrade. You will be amazed. If you are looking for a killer pair of mid fi speakers on the cheap pick up a pair of these and put in the Crites crossover and horn tweeter upgrades. Crites even carries the original speaker cloth for grills, logos, etc. These speakers are real wood, so you can refinish them to look as good as they sound, too.

demort71   Casual Listener [Oct 21, 2012]

I bought a pair of KG4s at a second hand store last month for a measily $160! I never thought I would own a pair of Klipsch speakers, meaning my tightwad wife wouldn't let me spend serious money on new stereo equip., but these were too good of a deal even in her book!

This year I started to upgrade my audio equip. No, I am not up to Macintosh quality, but we are getting bigger and better and that is what it is about-right? I have had a 30W Yamaha amp and DCM speakers for two decades now. The DCMs I love and the Yamie is OK. I just sold a Marantz 2225 receiver yesterday on eBay for $200. Sweet yes, but not enough volume.

My newest vintage receiver is a Sansui G3500 Pure Power. The Sansui does a good job at a lowly volulme level 4 driving the Klipschs to levels that start shaking the upstairs floor. My opinion is the KG4s are lacking on the bottom end, while the mids and highs are nicely defined. What to do? No sub for me, I have a pair of muddy JVC SK-303 8 ohm three ways to pick up the slack on the bottom end. Actually the four of them work well together. The Klipschs takes care of the highs and some of the mids and the JVCs share the mids and provide more bass. Blend them together and you get a better sound. I just bought a TEAC EQA-20 equalizer that is going on the Sansui system, so I will see what it can do to improve things.

These KG4s are quality speakers and they play instrumental music and yes even blues (should I say ZZ Topp style blues) very well. For the money I didn't go wrong. My more audiophile younger brother has a pair of Klipsch Heritages and three Marantz receivers and amps. He thought I scored big time on the KG4s. I was glad to add them to my system. If you have a pair that you are unhappy with, send them to me and I will put them to use! LOL!

Omarah   AudioPhile [Jan 23, 2011]

These classic speakers are the great secret for producing fantastic sound for a pittance. They're still selling on Craigslist for $200 - $250 per pair (as of Jan. 2011). The experience gets even better if you have the room to stack two pairs horn to horn, elevated so horns are at ear level.

One important point. You definitely, yes DEFINITELY will want to upgrade the diaphragm in the horns. It's a moderately delicate but simple process that will change the tight, overbright highs (IMO) into smooth and listenable. This change costs about $35 per speaker and will immediately give you a fantastic quality upgrade. Wish I could adequately describe the difference in sound, but I promise you it is worth it and makes a very noticeable change. You can rebuild the crossovers, too, if you wish, kits also available from Bob Crites. Page link for the diaphragm info: http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

FYI, these are fantastic for tube amps. I built a Bob Latino Dynaco running 60w per channel. My preamp is also a tube model fed by an Oppo BDP-83 SE Blu-Ray/HD audio player. I get amazing presence, a wide and deep soundstage and enjoy introducing people to how great music can sound even from what most people would consider a budget system.

Negotiate your best price on a pair of KG4's, install the titanium diaphragms and you'll never part with these speakers.

8watt300b   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 09, 2010]

I bought a set of these speakers just recently from a gentleman who had just retired, sold his house and was moving across Canada. I tested them side by side with my Heresy's and was blown away. They sound so different but definately from the same family. The KG4's have so much more bottom end and not quite as sharp (read bright) as the Heresy. I would switch out the Heresy's today if they weren't 4db/wm more efficient than the KG4 and when you only have 8 watts/ch to play with, that makes a big difference.
Anyways, before jumping on the Klipsch Heritage bandwagon and paying way too much....give the KG series a try. Much better value IMHO.

vargas   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 23, 2010]

I have had my kg4's since 1988, they were a college grad. gift from my mother. I own a pair of Klipsch cf4's and Klipsch reference speakers. I bring the kg4's out of storage every few years and they still sound great .They have no problem filling my large condo with loud crisp sound. As a matter of fact, there's some thing about klipsch that even at a distance from their sweet spot or in another room they still sound natural. The kg4's may not have the depth and deep end of some way more expensive speakers, but they dont lack these qualities either. They just play accurate clean music very very very loud, like no other speaker family.

gzman71   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 24, 2010]

PRICE PAID $460 (australia)

SUMMARY; just another pair of speakers?.....no,not even close!

these are so dynamic with all types of music...
so easy to drive,sound good at all volumes.....
have listened to lots of speakers over the last 20 yrs and this is the first pair of
Klipsch i've heard and doubt that i could buy a speaker that would touch these under $1000
these may not be perfect in every sense to some looking for polite speakers.....
highs,mids,and bottom end all excellent! ....but they are so enjoyable!
they have that vibe that makes listening to music fun!
they sound excellent with vinyl also and as for home theatre these don't need no sub as they are just mad speakers!!
i have mine hooked up to a yamaha ax-592 2 channel 100 watt amp and am impressed!
if i had to compare these speakers i would say when i had b&w 602 s2/s3 i loved that bass and quality but the tweeter would get a bit bright and never thought i'd fine something better/different at this price but these are one step beyond the 602's...((((deeper bass))))
better top end,and just as punchy!
midrange maybe a little better on the b&w's.....but nothing to dramatic!
i do love those b&w's but would i swap these kg4's for em?......no way!!
sonic heaven is a lovely place................................................................................................................................

sportabout   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 30, 2009]

Definitely the best speaker I have ever heard for what I paid for them. I have two pair Piano Black and Oiled Oak. If they don't sound good to you. You probably have them hooked up to the wrong equipment, or have the wrong placement. They are absolutely fantastic speakers. There are better speakers but they cost a lot more money.