Klipsch KG 3.5 Floorstanding Speakers

Bass reflex w/ 8-in woofer, 1 horn tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 24, 2018]
Tonehenge

Strength:

I'm a little late to the party, but I just acquired a pair of KG 3.5 for: $35. Canadian. On Craigslist. Fundamentally, they were gifted to me. Getting past the gift, I have a pair that are in good, but not ideal condition cosmetically, and perfect condition mechanically and electrically. As for the cosmetics, just a little white glue is needed to stick some wayward veneer trim back on. Grills are perfect. Some background. I'm a recording engineer and producer, By that I mean full time. Paying the mortgage. Most of what I do for clients is jazz, but I also engage in full production for singer-songwriters and some choral work too. For casual listening, my living room 2 channel system has consisted of an HK 3350 receiver and a pair of JBL L3 loudspeakers for the longest time, fed by a variety of sources. The studio houses the more esoteric gear, but the living room gear has been more than adequate for the casual sit on the sofa and read the newspaper on a Saturday morning session. I do like the L3 from JBL. They occupy very little real estate, and have a very dynamic presentation. I've learned to put up with some artifice from these classic titanium tweeters because I do like the air and transparency from them. An 8" woofer in a properly vented floor standing cabinet delivers more than ample low frequency extension for my tastes. Since I don't routinely listen to pipe organ music, full output at bottom octaves is unnecessary. The JBL's exhibit a somewhat but slightly forward upper mid presence, but again, it's little bit of drama for vocals. They certainly have more in common with JBL studio speakers than prior domestics from them. So, enter the KG 3.5. A long long time ago, in the late 70's, I was in audio retail. I worked for a Vancouver store called Rhodes, and we were Klipsch retailers. I had conflicted feelings about the line. I appreciated their commitment to unrestrained dynamics...so much effort from snob manufacturers was paid to "flat frequency response" (really only achievable in an anechoic chamber) but still resulted in products that couldn't "breathe music" in a dynamic lifelike sense...yet the Klipsch offerings delivered a frequency response that was so jagged, with annoying resonances generated by the horn materials themselves...never mind the fact that you had to arrange your life around their presence in your home. I have owned a lot of domestic product over the years. British speakers (B&W, KEF, Mordaunt Short, Cas

As for weaknesses, perhaps, with some sources or with mediocre recordings, the top end can come across a tad "etched", but really, a great loudspeaker by virtue of its transparency is going to reveal shortcomings in the signal chain. I read complaints about "absence of bass", but I don't understand this. Given the mechanical and size constraints of this design, the low end is more than ample, and I felt no sense that instrumentation that occupy those lower octaves was being under represented.

Price Paid:

1994
[Sep 20, 2017]
Jason Jessen
Audio Enthusiast

I have 23 year old KG3.5 floor standing speakers and just purchased the Reference Premiere 260 speakers. I am not an audiophile whatever that means but I do know when Metallica's Master of Puppets is rattling my brain. Anyway, the 23 year old speaker sound just as good as the new speakers. I probably wasted my money on the new ones.

[Nov 04, 2014]
JBF
Casual Listener

I have owned these since new. They have been stellar. I think their sound is very dependent on the characteristics of the amp, the settings of the amp that is used to drive them and room in which they are placed. Sherwood 5.1 amp and hardwood floors gave these amazing sound. High power top-art Yamaha RXV459 really tinny with these yet with newer Klipsch F-20 amazing together. So Iput these back with an older Marantz PM-43 50wpc stereo amp and in a large room with carpet over concrete slab and gypsum walls and wow was I surprised! Deep but tight bass, crisp treble amazing wide sound stage, better imaging than 5 speaker set up in that room. With the right combination these speakers floored me again.

[Oct 02, 2014]
Dwight Shumate
Audio Enthusiast

Awesome sound. I purchased these recently for 50 bucks off craigslist. Lucky for me the seller had no idea what he was selling.
As with any Klipsch the mids and highs are crisp and roll nicely down to the lows. In my setup I don't use a sub. The mains are on hardwood floors over my basement and I guess I am picking up resonance that way. I disconnected my 10inch polk sub and am running the eq on my amp flat.
These will keep me happy for a couple years until I can pickup a set of R7s or something from the Heritage line.

[Apr 05, 2008]
zjjordan
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clarity and high Frequency sound.

Lack of base

I purchased these from Criags list for 100.00 and that was an absolute steal. These replace some Bose 701s and what a difference it make. The base is somewhat lacking put the clarity and high-end is amazing. Added to a good quality sub these will blow you away. I was so impress with these that I replaced the rest of my 7.1 setup with Klipsch.

[Jan 21, 2000]
JJ
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clarity

I've owned these for a couple of years now and still love them. They are built better than most of the Klipsch speakers made today. They sound great with or without a sub.

[Mar 15, 2000]
jeff
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

good sounding speakers

none

for the price the 3,5 are a very good speaker and the sound is good for the home theater. paid 350 a set and had no problem with it. good low in and highs. anybody has them will enjoy for a life time

Similar Products Used:

model .5"s

[Feb 12, 1997]
Andrew Edmonds
an Audio Enthusiast

The KG 3.5 is Klipsch's entry level floor standing model to the KG series. It has an 8 inch woofer and horn tweeter/midrange. These live up to Klipsch's reputation. They sound clear and are very dynamic. The bass is very good for a speaker of their size, and the price is right around $500-$600 street price. If you can afford the 4.5 or 5.5 models, I'm sure they perform even better. These speakers are great for home theater as well as music. I love the efficency (doesn't take much power to get these loud, you dont need a 120 watt amp, 40 to 80 watts will do nicely). These speakers are fast moving, and they have a lot of punch for rock to classical. Recommended.

[Dec 10, 1999]
Ed
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Efficiency & clarity

Value (I personally paid too much)

Some people don't agree with me, but I love my KG3.5's. Yes, they could use a little more depth in the low end, but sit them a little closer to a corner and they fill the room with clear, natural sound.

I bought mine in 1995 from HiFi Buys in Roswell, GA for $329.99 a piece. (Please don't tell anyone...)

They've been wonderful, and in fact I have auditioned others since then, but haven't found the clarity and presence that these have.

I recently went on a quest for a surround sound system. Due to the suggestions on this forum and some literature I picked up at the local Mom & Pop, I purchased a Sony STR-DB930 receiver ($399.99 @ J&R) and a pair of KSB2.1's ($87 ea. @ uBid.com) for the rear.

I am very happy so far! Man, do the 3.5's sound great on such a clean amp!

I have since ordered a magnetic shielding kit for the 3.5's and am considering a KSP-C6 for the center. (Probably overkill, but it's gotten some great reviews and I'd like to keep the tonal clarity of the horns all around.)

I give the 3.5's a 5 in their class, but a 4 because I overpaid...

Similar Products Used: