JBL LX44 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 04, 2016]
Jon
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my pair of LX-44s when they were first introduced in the early 90s.
I paired them with an Onkyo Tuner/receiver and CD player.
The system has always sounded smooth and crisp across the board.
I recently had to refoam the drivers but it was very easy and they sound as good now as they did when I first bought them.
Some of my friends have said that the highs were too much but, after listening to their systems, I am not surprised about the criticism.
I have always been pleased with the lows, mid range and highs. It is actually very even across the board.
Why JBL doesn't make them any longer is a mystery to me. I can't find any of their products that match up to these as well.
They really should go back to their old plans for these and get them back into production.
To me, for the price I paid then, $299 ea. when I bought the whole system, was the equivalent of $1000 speaker today. Very much worth every nickel.
I'd buy another set in a second if they were available.
I would advise you to snatch them up if you see them for sale somewhere. Do not hesitate. They are a very well engineered speaker, designed perfectly for a home system.

[Jan 25, 2016]
Jon L
Audio Enthusiast

I've had my JBL LX-44s for over 25 years. I've loved every minute of listening to them. Up to now they've ben extremely accurate, clean and durable.
The sound is wonderful across the board. Clear crisp titanium , tweeters, smooth midrange, and strong (not booming) woofers.
Never had any problems until recently. I find that, after 25+ years of use, the woofers need to be re-foamed or replaced.
I'm in search of equivalent replacements so I might preserve their great performance.
If you ever come across a pair of these, do buy them.
As far as I am concerned, they are the very best speakers you can buy for your home, hands down.
No, they won't fill a concert hall. They aren't supposed to. They ARE a great home entertainment main speaker or even a aux. speaker for your home theater system. Paired with the right sub-woofer and aux speakers, they would be terrific.

[Dec 09, 2014]
JHT
AudioPhile

Well folks the JBL (James B. Lansing) as in (Altec Lansing)- 2 of the Greatest Audio engineers and Audio transducer (speaker/cabinet) builders in the world, - LX44 was designed directly from JBL's PRO series Studio Monitor est.cost around $10,000 each, for the Home. Thats why they sound so great.
If you find a pair for sale BUY THEM and re-fit the new cones or transducer.
Its Flat line across the audio spectrum with spectacular clarity.

Treat your self to a real world of sound..

[Nov 19, 2014]
Sam
Audio Enthusiast

I got a pair of LX44's from a friend for $20/pr.The reason they were so cheap was because the foam was out of the woofers.A few weeks latter I saw a set of Bose 201's a neighbor threw away in the garbage. I quickly retrieved them and noticed the speaker cabinet was in really bad shape but the woofers were like new. Instead of having my JBL woofers refoamed I took these Bose woofers out of the old cabinet and put them in my JBL speakers. To my surprise the sounded fantastic,maybe even better than the original speakers.Then a few months latter I saw a pair of JBL G200's at a garage sale so I bought them for $30.00/pr.They were like new so I used them for my surround sound speakers. I've never hears better sounding speakers any where for any price.I could have spent a couple of grand and still not get a better sounding speaker.I have them hooked up to a Denon AVR-3200 receiver with a Polkaudio center speaker and a JBL sub woofer.This thing ROCKS.It's like being at a live concert. Best system I ever owned and saved a ton of money to boot.

[Nov 14, 2014]
Scotty1023
Casual Listener

I bought a pair of JBL LX 44 speakers and was really impressed. They had a great sound with a real rich sound. I think the high range was too much but I just turned it down with a high filter an equalizer. It my first pair of JBLs and I am hooked on them. If you want to get a pair you will enjoy them. I powered them with a vintage Pioneer SX 750 and they matched up real nice.
Scott in SC

[Jul 21, 2011]
D. W. Smith
Audio Enthusiast

Lived up to the high praise here and elsewhere. I bought them used with disintegrated woofer surrounds for cheap, refoamed them, and WOW. Replaced smaller JBL P20s + sub with these much larger speakers, and my wife even agreed we're not going back. The imaging is remarkable.
The bass from the 8" 408Gs is accurate but they won't fill a big room (it does help to play them LOUD though!). I used to play bass and I prefer clean, strong, punchy bass from speakers. I don't tolerate boomy bass. It's hard to find all three so I'll take clean and punchy in my large room (32' deep x 21' wide x 8' high).
The mids are very clean and strong with sax, elec. and acoustic guitar, piano and vocals. I can listen to Larry Carlton and Acoustic Alchemy all day! They are clean enough to pick out different instruments playing harmony parts.
The highs are sweet and clear (some have said too strong from the titanium tweeters, but I'm a JBL tweeter fan). They do expose poor recordings though, which is not their fault. Female vocals are spectacular such as Mary Black and Diana Krall. I hate it when female vocal 'S's screach, and these don't.
When I was inside the cabinets, I checked the crossovers. They used high quality parts, so I left them stock. I might rewire them with beefier wires, but not today. The cabinets are heavy and well built. They also isolate the ported woofer bottom from the mid/tweeter compartment, which probaly helps keep the mid clean.
Placement is important with any rear-ported speaker. I have mine about 18" off the floor and about 16" from the wall but I'm still experimenting. Excellent imaging - you can tell if someone steps back from the microphone! I have the original angled bases that I may try soon.
I am very pleased with my $1000 system at this point: Marantz CD-5004, Yamaha RX-V867, and JBL LX-44s. The CD player's DAC is where the clarity starts. Add a clean amp, and clean speakers and enjoy! The Yamaha has a 'pure direct' mode that shuts off everything but the amp (fed by good analog cables from the Marantz).
Now all I need is a new home with a better listening room! I once overheard a conversation between Paul Klipsch and an unhappy customer when he visited a high-end stereo store (about 1974). The customer claimed his new Klipsch speakers didn't sound right. Paul asked about the room.. dimensions, windows.. etc. Paul then told the customer how to fix the problem: Move!

[Aug 10, 2008]
Dennis Vogelsang
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great responsive and 'punchy' bass. Had it powered by a Pioneer A443 for almost 20 years. Now it's replacement, a Marantz PM-43 is proving the drivers to sound even bigger than 8 inches!
Just love the Pure Titanium tweeters, with its great clarity and crisp sounds. Last but not least, the mids giving it that nice 'complete' sound and balance.

One other thing that deserves a mention, is the beautiful, heavy timber case that enclose the LX44's tweeters and woofer. they almost feel indestructible!

None what so ever, except perhaps the front grill tabs. My top ones have broken off. Not really much of a weakness though, come to think of it..

What can I say? I've owned these speakers for about 20 years now, and they sound as great now, as they did back then!
Around the late 80's I just started work and wanted to treat myself to a new sound system. After buying all the necessary components, it was time to purchase some speakers. I was told to stay away from the generic brands that match Hi-Fi components and have a listen to more 'specialised' brands, in particular European and USA brands.
After listening to a wall of different makes and models (with the help of a friendly sales assistant & my own CD that I knew would meet my listening demands), it was the LX44's turn. They were expensive ($1000 was a lot of money back then) but I immediately fell in love with them and took them home.
Now 20 years on, and a lot of admiration from envious friends and family members, I have never come across a better set of speakers and am so glad with the choice I made. What an investment!

[Jan 30, 2008]
tim t
AudioPhile

ch side of this fireplace at about the 9 foot mark are two alcoves and there sit my pair of new large advents in bullnosed walnut cabinets, they are unreal, they replaced my infinity QA's, which i have had since 1980....nothing to be sneezed at themselves.....so to make a very long story short..if you see a good pair of lx44's going for 200 or less conditions permitting..surrounds etc..grab them...because they sound clean....yes the new advents have the earthqaucke stuff....but those lx44's do too..they are both keepers.....how do ya spell quacke anyway? sorry i'm not a duck!

[Jul 29, 2006]
smackpixi
Audio Enthusiast

wonderful, that's all there is to say. if you have the opportunity to get these babies from anywhere, do it.

in around 1991 or 1992 i was buying my first component system, i was in HS and i was a pretty stupid 16 yr old silly, daddy and i were traveling around and testing out stuff i could afford on my Target salary...and i heard these guys, wow, i wanted, the comparable priced infinitys at best buy were humiliated, i wanted them on the spot...but waited like a week to make up my mind...went bact to the store and they were gone, got told they were discontinued...i was like, really, why? but anyway, i absolutly had to have these speakers, so mommy and daddy ponied up to order them from some place in a magazine...do you have any idea what the postage is on a pair of speakers? me neither, but i bet it was a ton. anyway, got them for about $400 on the pair right around the time jbl stopped making them...

for me, these are the best speakers ever made, i've carried them around to like 3 dorm rooms, 10 apartments, and two houses since i've bought them...they're durable enough to toss around like that...they can get loud, how loud? once when i lived in seattle, there were these guys that lived below me having some garden party playing their dave mathews boring music loud enough to bug me...so i put in some black flag and turned up my stuff as loud as it goes...some rather crappy kenwood receiver, 45 wpc, but whatever, turned it up all the way, and had the speakers in the window blaring down at the neighbors, and went for a walk to see how far away i could hear....about two blocks away i could still hear...then realized, jesus christ, i'm annoying the entire neighborhood and ran home to turn it off.

great speakers. bass heavy a bit even with only 7 inch woofers. beautiful mids. bit pitchy from the tweets. awsome, if you like accuracy, drop the bottom and top a wee bit. great rock n roll speakers. if you like to party, you want these bad boys.

[Dec 05, 2002]
hightechjunkie
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

LOWS, Mids, compact size with high DB sound,

cabinet looks a little cheap, although I love those titanium tweeters, they can be a bit harsh.

I bought these jewels right when I graduated from college (back in 93)trying to get a smaller system because I was moving accross the country. I thought I was giving up quality in a smaller size speaker but I was pleasantly surprized. I feel they kick the crap outta my old LT100Ts! Great lows for an 8" bass driver. the highs are a bit on the harsh side at times but I feel that the mids more than make up for that shortfall. I have some very expensive (and large) Kliptsch now for my "big" system. But these little babys are in my office pushed by a Carver M-4.0t. I will never get rid of them!