JBL L7 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 27, 2016]
Jim
Casual Listener

I bought three pair of L7 from a small general merchandise store in Saipan for $700 each pair. I did not know what I was getting as I am not an audiophile so I was surprised and extremely happy. I have the speakers throughout my house for a great sound from room to room.

[May 28, 2016]
Eric Nunn
AudioPhile

Hi ,I bought my first pair of the these speaker in 1993 it took me awhile to find the best placement for the speakers. After about 20 years I found out that better d/a converter , amps and cable can go along way with these speakers. So in the last couple of years I bought two more pair so that I can run a full 7.1 setup . My Home theater have never sound better. My music sounds very detailed and with a lot of depth. But you have send a lot of power to these in order to get what you are looking for.

[Mar 14, 2013]
keith Henry
AudioPhile

Hi,I am an audiophile,I bought these speakers used in mint condition,thought they would be a joke,man-o-man was I suprised!,they are so good,I put a $14,000.00 krell fpb 700 cx amplifier on them,and what alot of people do not know is the tweeter is very accurate with realism if you take the awfull plate off the speakers that is on the 4 speaker post from the factory,I put Taralabs omega jumpers on these speakers,retail $800.00 for 10"inches,the best jumper tara offers!,then I put Taralabs zero gold interconnect 1-meter retail $15,950.00,Taralabs omega gold speaker cables on these speakers that are $24,000.00 retail 8'ft,,I would dare say,I have listened to alot of speakers in the $120.000.00 class on down,I put still points resonance control footers that are$2,000.00 for 8 under these speakers to make the cabinet inert,I will claim,bar none!,I would compair the sound of these speakers to eanything in the $50.000.00 class speakers!with world class cables and electronics these speaker sound alot better than what they were designed to sound like,one of the only speakers in the world that I have seen that do not need angled toward the middle of the sound stage,mine are only 5 degrees angled,almost no angle! JBL only made these speakers for 3 years,It was a mistake for the price point they were selling them at in 1992,they quickly took them off market!thou they skimmped out on the braceing inside the speaker,the drivers they did not!,thats why I put the still points footers under the speakers,very transparent!,to me,these speakers are high-end audios best kept secret!the sound is so real sounding, with the ayon tube digital player with the rest of what is being used here is simply stunning!huge 3 dimensional layered, not foward at all sound stage with incredible imageing!,they are the most difficult speakers to place I have ever had experience with period!,the pay-off after 3 months of heart ache placeing the speakers was jaw droping!needless to say,these speakers on this system and cables is so emotional that tears will litterally fly about with a look of shock on on your face when you here what these speakers are actually capable of!I suppose I may be the only person in the u.s.a. that took these speakers to this level!I have no regrets!,To me,these speakers have convinced me most high-end speakers are over hyped and way over priced!,what alot of audiophiles believe is bi-amping is best for bi-amp speakers,wrong!,A signal will keep its purity with a high quality signal directional jumper such as this Taralabs10 inch omega jumper versus 6,8,10 ft speaker cables!,that the signal has to travel alot further and loose the purity of the signal on its way!,I know,I tried bi-amping cables or amps!,these speakers also are in the very few that can be placed over 3 feet from side and rear walls and do what esoteric speakers do!I have traveled over half these united states listening to state of the art systems the last 34 years,my first high-end system my mother bought me at 12 years old! I highly recommend these speakers!,thou you really need to know what you are doing to get the sound out of these rare speakers!happy listening!

[Nov 15, 2012]
kodi41
Audio Enthusiast

Hello all, I have read these reviews with a smile.

I have had my L7's for many years, and I still love them. However, I find it odd no one knows these speakers have an adjustable crosover slope built into the xover- open them up- you will see exactly what I speak of, there is a switch on the low pass side- try it- you might be suprized at what your L7's can REALLY do.

Placement is critical- no doubt. High valted rooms are a no go- unless- well, I will get to that later.

First off- the only down side to this speaker is it's tweeter- yep, I said it- the tweeter. JBL seems to have the opinion that this tweeter works in all of their speakers- wrong. You must remember that these speakers were built during the end of the vinyl age- well analog at least. With that said- using analog sources with good equipment will reveal very quickly how good these speakers really are. But then a few review's here seem not to know a good recording from a bad one- enter the compact disc.

Oh ouch- CD with these speakers (unless a very good recording on a very good source player) can be ought right terrible. Hmm what happened? Why do these now sond like crap when I play a CD?- Yet when I play a record- they are astonishingly good what is different?

Analog vrs. digital- and the culprit?

The tweeter.................. Well now I love a challenge, so how do we bring these fine speakers into the modern day world where they can play all types of music equally good?

Ribbons. Yep, I tried silk/domes- from vifa, usher and dynaudio- ect. they helped, but still a tad shrill for me. Then moved to horns- oh geeze- no way. Then I tried a planar tweeter.....hmmm very good- airy, precise- almost there. Enter My Magnepans. Why do they sound so good with any thing (save that of music that requires real low level output) what is it that I am missing here? Maggies are as airy as you will ever find- no mater the cost- period- no other speaker reproduces the human voice better IMHO- ribbions- yea, lets try that.

Enter HiVi Research. Oh my oh my- the grail....not....realy, but really close.

My gear? Lots, but, from Classe'- Odyssey- Integra Research- Cary- Van Alstine- Audio Research/CJ - Krell - and a few Bryston components.

Presently, Classe' DR 9 (fronts) and 2 Stratos Extreme's (2 and 3 channel- for the surrounds), Integra Research Disc player for multi disc fomats, Thorens TD-318 MkII w/ a Shure Ultra 400S for analog, HT/Pre amp - Integra Research RD 7.1, OPPO Blu Ray, Toshiba HD and Twin M&K MX 200 Subs, with 4 JBL surrounds (8340's) and a Def. Tech 2500 center.

Room is 24' long and 14' wide 8.5' to roof line- carpeted floor. L7's sit exactly 2 feet from the side walls-(woofers facing each other), 1 foot forward from my gear at 30degrees or so.

I love the L7's and you should too- just set them up right- they will love you back. :)

[Dec 27, 2008]
SWIN
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clear 3D sound with very low colorations.

Fast dry bass, with absolutely no overhang or boom.

Clear mid, with very well integration of drivers, dry and clear top from Ti tweeter.

Very impressed with the dynamic integration of the 4 elements, same freqency response and sound quality from low to very high level.

Placement, they dominate the room, like John Wayne - standing tall, totaly in control, likes free space.

You really have to spend time to get the placement absolutely right.

And you must have a symetric room, with no asymetric openings to other rooms.

Very obvious high class speakers.

I make my own D/A converters, and this speaker makes the job of fine tuning the sound very easy.

Clear sound, without any attempt to color the sound.

The sound, especially when listening to vinyl, roomfilling 3D soundstage.

The sound of digital playback is obviously limited by the CD media.

Recommend to use them biamped, as the sound improves immensely.

This is the first speaker I have owned that really likes to stand tall and free, placed nearly in the middle of the room, well avay from the rear wall.

Similar Products Used:

Nearly everything in speakers that have been produced since the mid 1960´s.

[Aug 08, 2008]
love_that_sound
AudioPhile

Strength:

Big Powerful soundstage, Imaging is awesome, Wow factor will blow you away!

NONE

I had never heard a pair of JBL L7's until I bought these, was I in for a suprise. Money wise they are one of the best 4 way speaker I have had the pleasure to hear. I have a pair of JBL 250TI's and these L7's keep on truckin right on up them. Soundstage/imaging was just awesome WOW!!! Power amplifier rating is 450 watts. I would highly recommend L7's if you like big tall speakers. I had a pair of AR-9's way back when, of which also had the woofers on the side, but were way more power hungry that these. If you have the room these are magic to the ears, Only had these for 4 months now and when friends come over I watch jaws drop. I get that where can I get a pair look, get back Jack these are not for sale. These are keepers for sure.

jBL 250TI, AR-9, KAPPA-9

[Jul 05, 2008]
Robert Collins
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Dynamic sound for all my music styles.

They are pretty large.

I bought these from a seller on Craig's List for $250 in 2006. My wife about had a heart attach when I put them in our living room due to their size. I was more impressed with the sound quality of these speakers than I was afraid of what would happen if I kept them, so I put my foot down. 2 years later and she quit complaining about their size and I find her listening to here favorite music when I come home. I have a Sansui G-9000 that feeds these speakers and I have to say I have never been happier with a system . . . ever.

Similar Products Used:

Bose 601, Klpisch, several models.

[Jan 18, 2008]
James Stump
Casual Listener

I am a casual listner and cannot profess to be well versed in audio. However, I was able to purchase two sets of L7s ($750 per pair) )and a set of L5s ($300 pair) and use the L7/L5 combination for home theatre. I am very happy with the sound. I probably paid too much for the speakers, but I live on a tiny island in Micronesia (Saipan) and feel fortunate that I was able to obtain them.

[Apr 20, 2006]
lisapizza
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Crisp Clear sound, the bigger the amp, the better!!Well Built!!!!!!!!!!

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I purchae these speakers for my husband,At a whereHouse that had some items from a OUT OF Business Stores, and WOW, A BRAND NEW SET OF JBL L7, DATED 1994 MADE UNOPEN!!!!! We have always wanted these speakers, but the problem was we wanted them brand new, the reason PEOPLE DON NOT KNOW HOW TO PUSH A SPEAKER WITH CORRECT WATTAGE!!! Carver C1000A is the reciever WE HAVE, LOW AND BEHOLD,PURE DIGITAL AWSOME SOUND. You can also Bi-Amped these!! Bass is tight, the Midrange and Tweeter are CRISP AND CLEAR!!DETAIL, FOR THX AND DTS MOVIES!!Very Awsome with 2 channel amp for music!!Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, you can hear the holding and plucking of the acoustic guitar!! Sounds like you are there!!Try this, put the channel level on the reciever for small for the front, reason, this speakers could handle the Freq, Low and High.
Subwoofer is located in the back of the room, Delay the subwoofer to the listening point of the room, and the Front and Rear as well!I I Have a Sunfire 2700 watt sub also!WATCHING MOVIES ON THIS SYSTEM SPLITS THE GROUND EVERYTIME!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:

MANY HIGH END SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Feb 07, 2003]
filecat13
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power handling, clarity, imaging, sound stage, bass response, reliability

Heavy, initial set up

These speakers require a little work to get properly placed and balanced, especially in the odd rooms I've had them in, but with a little work, they've always been star performers. They've been rock solid reliable. Their sound quality is as good today as the first day I fired them up (and I've moved them 6 times, including cross country). They've performed well with a variety of receivers/amps from modest 50w/ch) to magnificant (200w/ch), and they've gone from solo performers in a modest stereo system to the bi-wired fronts on a Dolby Digital home theater. Whenever I've audtioned other speakers to replace them, I end up saying "No" and keep the JBLs.

Advent, Acoustic Research, Polk, Infinity