JBL CF150 Floorstanding Speakers

CF150

325W Max Handling, 15" Woofer, 6" Mid-range, 1" tweeter

MusicBoy   AudioPhile [Aug 24, 2013]

I am a former musician who has worked with studio musicians for famous artists. The JBL CF-150's are definitive proof that when it comes to speakers, price is not always an indication of quality. The CF-150's detail, accuracy, range, appearance, and efficiency are as good as they get for anywhere near the price. In fact, despite using cheap components, the CF-150's overall sound quality is very similar to that of the JBL studio monitors, on which certain major studios used to (and may still) mix their albums. Despite pumping these babies with 500-plus watt peaks from a Sansui G-22000, they have not loss their efficiency rating nor sound quality. The cabinet finish (faux wood, of course) maintains its new appearance despite enduring years of direct sunlight. The CF-150's do have negatives; they are cumbersome, heavy, and thusly hard to transport. Shop around because I paid $300 for a factory sealed pair, but certain retailers tried to charge me up to $1,500!

Kpmello   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 17, 2013]

I have these CF150 speakers for 12 years by now and I am still very satisfied with its performance. They are hooked to my 6L6 tube amp and they sound very very musical, with great detail throughout the frequency range, even at very low listening volumes. I am a classic and rock music listener, I use from vynil, CD, SACD and blu-ray. I have tried different (newer) JBL tower speakers on my system (looking for potential better performance from the more contemporary designs), although, I could not find any with similar size that could beat the CF150 subjectively speaking (I believe in my ears...). In my humble opinion, the CF150 represented a great value (maybe understimated) when launched and they are realy surving the test of time.

Ron   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 01, 2012]

I purchased two of these speakers back in 1981 from a now out-of-business chain called Music-Craft. I am the original owner. These speakers served me well for several years; however, I question the 325 watt rating. Many years ago i ran 250 watts through my speakers and I ended up blowing both of the foam cups in each woofer speaker. I was able to repair tese cups, but they should not have blown in the first place.

Pete Hetlinger   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 23, 2007]
Strength:

Bass especially, but the mids and treble keep up very well.

Could use better internal bracing.

I have had the CF150 since early 2000.
As mentioned in the previous reviews, these speaker systems are tremendous with rock, blues, country & jazz.
I also listen to a lot of classical music, and the CF150 does a great job reproducing classical music with great finesse.
I am driving the CF150 with a 250 wpc amp. The sound is effortless.
I highly recommend the CF series and they should be a huge bargain as of mid-2007.

Customer Service

Haven't had to use. The CF150 have been flawless.

Similar Products Used: Many.
CyboLinx   Casual Listener [Aug 15, 2002]
Strength:

clean and lots of POWER!!! Mu-ahahaha

the cabnets could have more support ...so i think ill fix that my self :)

id have to say that these speakers are rock solid ...i bought them with fried tweeters witch isnt a problem cause i got a set of (titanium ferofluid) new ones from a local store and mounted them on the original tweeter grills and they match the sound reproduction of the rest of the speaker. i honestly didnt know what i was getting for the price i paid $300cdn...im truly amaised at the responce and the accuacy of these ...i like alot of different music and id have to say that playing mp3s on these speakers make the mp3 sound nice ...im running a QSC mx1500a poweramp and i borrowed a kenwood kc-208 preamp to test it out against my gemini pa-700 preamp (i like the kenwood better cause the sound is more in your face and it has more features that i use) im also running a jvc xv-s302 dvdplayer for cd/mp3 playback ... i have 12gage wire with bananna plugs from the original 16 that came with them big differance in sound though and i intend to paint the sides with a high gloss heavy paint cause i think they should shine ...gonna install some 15" mettal grills on the woofer so my kids dont beat the crap outta them ...as solid as the cones are i think a kid with a pointy toy can really hurt them ...:P but all in all if i ran across another set i would buy them in a heart beat ... might also buy the seperate parts from jbl and make my own boxes ...hey i want to build my own speakes someday why not start here :) but if u can find them buy them ...heck if u got a pair ill buy them :)

Similar Products Used: i cant compare these to anyother speaker iv owned cause they were all litteraly just plain junk ...but i have herd a set of cerwin's that were nice that i dreamd of owning ....but now that i have thes
Frank Slove   Audiophile [Nov 15, 1999]
Strength:

Powerful 3-way Speaker

None

This is one amazing speaker for it's price.A 15" 3-way that has very good bass response, yet at the same time still provides crisp highs & midranges.

This speaker is equally adept at Home Theater as well as
music applications. I acually think it excels best at Home Theater were it produces incredible explosions and other low frequency sounds.

Mike   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 2000]
Strength:

powerful, accurate, and they just plain rock!!!! lots of headroom

could be internally braced better...but it's alright

Well, i would like to say...I AM A PROUD JBL FAN. These speakers since the first day i saw them caught my eye. They are well-built, cast baskets, and they could of made the enclosuer a littler more internally braced. The speakers are excellent. I love them and I've had them for about a year and a half. The JBL's are nice and clear and plenty of bass....which jbl is known for. The midrange has lots of detail and the over all system has lot's of head room. I couldn't ask for more of a sensitive speaker....98db. EXCELLENT. They look nice and the big 15" cast frame woofer kicks butt! I would deffinently reccomend these speakers for the serious rockers out there. I am using the jbl's with the JBLPSW-1200. System pounds! all i have to say
over all........sound good!

Similar Products Used: none...but was looking a CV, but went with jbl's reputation and quality
JOHN ANDROUTSOS   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 22, 2000]
Strength:

Very clear yet not edgy high impact sound, at all listening
levels, suprisingly! Very good soundstage. Immense, totally controlled,low end. Unbeatable price!

Enclosure vents are in the back which makes placement, taking into account their size, something to think about.

I run a Sony 20ES direct to a Mackie 1400i power amp to the
CF-150's. I can listen to this system for hours and not get
"ear fatigue", which IS the ultimate test for any system.
I recomend these speakers to any one who listens to electric
(as in not classical) music, with no hesitation.

zanardi alex   Casual Listener [Jan 13, 2000]

I just bought these cf 150's and all i have to say is they kick! I had 4 12" cerwin vega's before this which are now in my boneyard that is to say they are blown and fried. These JBL's would eat my vegas. I run them off of a Carver tfm35x with a Carver ct 25.1 preamp i have no complaints with any of this equipment.

Similar Products Used: cerwin vega
Philippe   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 02, 1999]

I bought a pair of CF-150's 12 months ago. When I was shopping for a good pair of speakers I really wanted something that would give me both " in-your-face " Home Theater sound and a delicate, refined type of equipment for the reproduction of classical music. The CF-150's are more for loud, rock music with big BOLD bass reproduction. With the 15" woofers and high sensitivity, a power amp with 100 watts per channel will kick out sound that you can "feel". They are better than any Cerwin Vega's at any price so if you want something " loud & proud " for Home Theater the JBL CF-150's are the thing for you.
On the other hand it wouldn't be the best choice for Classical as would a pair of MISSION or PARADIGM speakers. The JBL's do what they do for better or for worse but for the price of $ 1,000 Canadian, these suckers go the stretch and you won't be dissapointed. Better for rock music & home theater rather than classical music but if you're not fussy get a pair and love them !!