Infinity Systems RS 2 Floorstanding Speakers

RS 2

6 1/2in driver 1/2 PTC tweeter

Bruce   AudioPhile [Dec 11, 2010]

These are fantastic speakers. I use these as Studio Monitors because of their accuracy and ability to NOT color the sound with artificial lows and highs. They have a nice tight low end (not exaggerated), proper mids and accurate highs. They mesh well with my studio environment and compliment my high end headphones. The best close up monitors I have used in years. These are definitely keepers. I highly recommend these to anyone seeking high end sound without the exorbitant cost reflected in other speakers. Great construction materials and excellent components.

lonewolf031457   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2010]

A favorite speaker of mine. I've picked up two sets on Craigslist and added a subwoofer to each. They cover the highs and mids well. They have a fuller sound than the RS1's which have a 5" woofer comparted to the RS2's 6". With their small size they fit most anywhere. I listen to jazz, country and bluegrass. I have not had a problem with the plastic grills: no rattling and you don't worry about the speaker cloth tearing.
They far outperform Sony speakers. I liked them a bit better than the Polk R20's.

Strengths: HIghs, Mids

Weaknesses: Low Bass, but good with a sub

Similar products used: Sony, Infinity RS5's, RS1's, RS4's, Polk R20's, Insignia bookshelf

telecastoff   AudioPhile [Jan 13, 2009]
Strength:

Very clean and accurate. No muddiness or tinny sounding. Just very solid. I've had these for several years now.

None that I can think of.

I use these solely as close-up studio monitors and they work just great in that application. They are accurate and I depend on them.

Customer Service

Haven't had to use it.

Similar Products Used: JBL Bookshelf.
Uncle Albert   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 30, 2002]
Strength:

mid and high detail, sturdy build

Weak bass (of course), plastic grille makes me nervous

You will never mistake these for full-range speakers, but that's not why you buy bookshelf units. I've found them to be fairly well-detailed with good midrange, and a solid build quality that has held up to merciless use and 3 moves. Combine them with a sub and use them as surround or surround back speakers, and most owners will be pleased.

Similar Products Used: Entra Two IL-40
Anthony Bertolotti   Casual Listener [Mar 02, 2000]
Strength:

Great bass for their size, excellent highs.

Haven't found any yet!

When I set out to upgrade my sound system, I wanted something small enoughto fit in my room, but that would have good sound. I found them! The Infinity RS2's are by far the best in it's class. I tested the Bose 201's and a set of Polk Audio and the Infinitys destroyed them both. From great bass to crisp highs the 201's and Polk didn't have a chance. The RS2's have great performence and a great price. They are perfect for the biginner.
Just on a final note, the 201's were almost double the price of the RS2's.

Similar Products Used: Bose
tony mumolo   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 15, 2000]
Strength:

Size, Sound, Looks

for there size none

i'm using my RS2's for main speakers in a HT setup with an Infinity CC-2 center, Advent Marbl's for surrounds and a KLH 120 watt powered sub. my reciever is a Yamaha RX-V495. the room is about 12X20 ft and all i can say is this setup "kicks ass". these speakers really deliver a clean, crisp, big full sound, in a HT setup. i lovem and they look great to boot.
Impressive speaker for their size.

Similar Products Used: Kenwood, Polk
Jack Wei   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 03, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity, size, look

Kind of cold

This was my first pair of real "stereo speakers," or at least a step toward that direction. Before them I had some Jensen, real cheap stuff. I tried Cambridge Soundworks Model 17 and they were hardly any better than the Jensen. Upgrading to the Infinity made quite a difference. The high is clear and focused. The bass is tight. They don't go very low or loud, though more than enough for my small apartment. Once paired with a JBL subwoofer (60W only, another cheap stuff from a friend), the sub didn't do much better except when watching movies (where tons of artificial lows were added in the recording room).

On the other hand, they could be kind of cold and sharp. They lack warm midrange which may be very important when listening to vocals. A friend got a pair of Klipsch SB2 for some $250/pr and those sound better, though the difference is limited. I still think they well worth the $180/pr I paid. As I learned, Infinity discontinued them (RS was their bottom line series) but you may be able to find them in factory outlets or as used at a even lower price. Besides, they are small and look nice. They serve well as a first step into the hi-fi (mid-fi?) world.

Originally, they were driven by Kenwood 1060VR 110w/ch ProLogic receiver. Recently I switched to NAD 3020 25w/ch stereo integrated amp. The NAD produces a full and much warmer sound. Switching to Monster Cable helped, too. Monster may be hyped but still beats OEM cables.

Similar Products Used: Cambridge Soundworks Model 17, Klipsch SB2
matthew   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

clear highs

dull midrange, abrasive tweeter

I found the RS2 to be a big disappointment. the largest disappointment was the 1/2 inch polycarbonate tweeter. It produced very clear and distinct tones but it was too bright and the lack of midrange made this even more evident. if I listened to them at a moderately loud volume for more than 30 min. my ears would soon become fatigued. when I powered the rs2s with my sansui amp the bass these little bookshelves produced was rather impressive. it was relatively clear, had good impact and extension for bookshelf speakers. however when powered with an inexpensive recever the bass was not very impressive. they have a narrow soundstage and overall lack the accuracy I was looking for.
I have not been impressed with infinity's line of bookshelf speakers. I would recomend looking elsewhere if you are looking for bookshelf speakers, dont be afraid to spend a little more money, you wont regret it.

Similar Products Used: bose, jbl, paradigm
Joe   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 12, 2000]
Strength:

Looks and sound

Low end

I bought four of these for my HT. Use them as my fronts and rears. Also in the system are a BU150 sub and Onkyo A/V receiver with Dolby digital and DTS decoding. Using my digital out from my DVD these sound incredible. I went full size both front and rears to get the benefits of 5 channel stereo. This set up is AWESOME. The clarity of the highs and mids delivered from the RS2's is great when added to the booming bass of my sub. Without the sub there is a definate lack of low end bass. But hey, thats why I bought a sub! The price just came down to under $100 per speaker. What a great price for this speaker. I spent less than 1200.00 for the whole audio portion of my HT and it sounds as good or better than the systems my freinds have spent 2x as much on. These speakers were the icing on the cake.