Cerwin Vega LS-8 Floorstanding Speakers

LS-8

8" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers

manlystanley   Casual Listener [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

Great price. Great middle.

Low end and high end just seems to really come alive at higher volumes. Hmmmm........ Maybe I should crank up the hymn "How great thou art" :-)

These are really rock and roll speakers. When I crank them up, they really sound great, but at lower volumes they lack a high end and just sound OK, but not great. We mainly listen to Christian Hymns and classical. So, we're not doing them justice. But, hey, for the price it works listening to a local Christian Family Radio station.

Similar Products Used: Klipsch RB-5
jason   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2002]

what a deal! thats why i love frys!

Wireworm5   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

Clean,rich sound for they''''re size. Very good Tweeter

Must have the volume up to get them to sing.

I needed biggar speakers after I blew the driver on a pair of Boston c-6 bookshelfs. I used these as my main speakers for a few months,along with a CV-LW10 Sub woofer. Big difference. Much richer sound. With the volume turned up, a snare drum sounds like a snare drum. Nice clean sound. Rated for 100 watts. Recently however I upgraded my fronts to Paradigm monitor 7 v 2, and these regretfully are now my rears, where they aren''''t used to they''''re full potential. If you buy these for rears, i just want you to know they can handle it. Don''''t hear any humm in mine.

weez82   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

Highs are clear Bass is good (remember they are Book Shelf Speakers)

No mid-range

When I saw the prices for these speakers at other stores for about $200 for the pair I had to get these. I already have the Sony SS-MB300H for my front speakers and needed some rears. I haven''t been able to test them for rear speaker set up yet but have them in front. They put out more bass then my Sony''s and the high are clean sounding. My only beef with these speakers and this is what is keeping them form being my front speakers is the lack of a mid-range. For $48 that I paid I can''t really complain too much but for $200 (normal price) it should be there. Overall these sound damn good and if you can find a good deal as I did don''t hesitate and go buy a pair. p.s. If it helps anyone my Receiver is the JVC RX-6010VBK.

Similar Products Used: Sony MB300H
Joe   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

Clarity of sound

none

Replaced a pair of cheap Sonys and was impressed with the sound. I have been previewing much higher end speakers at higher end dealers; i.e Paradigm, B&W, PSB; and to my ear these sound pretty much the same. I am Using a Sony STRd450z receiver. I was going to go even higher end having just bought these LS-8 to transition, but I think I am going to stick with CV for the rest of my speakers.

Similar Products Used: Sony, Fisher
kurtiscrombie   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

if you like beer use them for coasters at your loud party

everthing!

I finally woke-up and spent the same money but recieved High-end sound. After my cheap sony bookshelfs blew a tweet it was time to invest.I rushed out and bought the cerwin's at Best Buy. I just needed sound for the rest of the week-end. After that I just wanted to throw them away. My advise visit a high-end dealer you dont have to spend a fortune to get way better sound, I finally settled in on the Acoustic Energy AE1's. Same money spent @299 but jesus christ what a difference!!

Ron Arwood   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 2000]
Strength:

great price, crisp sound, good quality

none i can find

Although there certainly are better speakers out there, these are good sounding speakers. They give a crisp sound and are a good buy for the price. I'm happy with the purchase.

Similar Products Used: jbl n28
Richard Monroe   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 19, 2001]
Strength:

price, clarity, design

bass

I am very happy with these speakers. The price is great and the sound is very good. Crisp, clear sound...I actually liked these alot better than several JBL speakers which were more money. They lack a little bass, but I am not a big fan of bass, I'd rather hear the singing. All in all, a very good buy.

Similar Products Used: jbl
Tim Lucas   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 1999]
Strength:

Good for surround speakers.

Not a solid high end

I am very happy with my LS-8's. They are a good bang for the buck when using them as surround sound speakers.

Similar Products Used: Infinity RS-3's.
Ed   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 27, 2001]
Strength:

Loud, Clear, Loud, descent mid-bass, Loud

Not the "smoothest" sounding speakers

Average price of these is about $200. At that price you have to give something to get something. I personally like loud music, and clear music. I'm running mine off of a Yamaha HTR-5280. These things take the power like a champ and impress me everytime i crank them up. At this price range you won't get loudness, clarity, and excellent frequency response so you need to figure out what to give up. These are loud, and clear, but aren't as sweet sounding of a speaker as say a JBL studio bookshelf. If I had it to do over again I would pick the LS-8's again easily.