Boston Acoustics VR M60 Floorstanding Speakers

VR M60

Reference Monitor in Cherry wood finish. Freq. Response 51-20,000Hz. 6-1/2" (165mm)mid bass driver. Dimensions 11-3/4 x 8-5/16 x 11-7/8" (299 x 212 x 303mm)

Bill Burr   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 10, 2010]

I bought 2 VRM60s, 2 VRM50s, and 1 VRM Center channel back 8-9 years ago from Tweeter. If you like bright speakers, you will love them. They have wonderful tonal quality especially in the mid -high range, and have a decent base response especially if bi-wired. Overall, they are the best sounding bookshelf speakers that I have heard.

Roger Dickinson   AudioPhile [Dec 05, 2009]

Found these at a pawn shop, they looked out of place immediately. The price tag was $100, I thought they were fake. I examined them, they looked real. Felt real. Dual binding posts. I paid cash. These speakers were amazing! They absolutely destroyed my Klipsch KG 4.2s, my B & O Beovox 75s, my Timeframe TF-600s, my Missions, NHTs, everything I owned! Incredible staging, clarity, sound quality. You find them, buy them.

BTolmer   Casual Listener [May 29, 2007]
Strength:

Small size, beautiful looking, incredible sound.

As far as I am concerned, there isn't any. I do have a subwoofer, but I think these would still do well without it.

I love these speakers, I fell in love with them the first time I listened to them and spent a few months looking at others, but nothing compared as far as I was concerned. My previous speakers were DCM, and I like these better.

Up until this weekend, I was powering these with a Sony STR-DA-555-ES. I just bought an Onkyo TX- SR604 and I feel like these speakers are new all over again. I am not an audiophile and I don't know the technical differences between the two receivers, but these VRMs are now sounding sweeter than ever. I am in heaven!!!!

Similar Products Used: DCM TP160S-CH
Jfb2006   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 11, 2007]
Strength:

Extremely detailed and exciting to listen to. Impressive power handling (200W). Robust build.

Not for the feint of heart. May strike some as producing a slightly flat sound stage.

These speakers were 45% off at Audioadvisor when I bought them late in '06. Since then, I have not seen them anywhere online, and Boston Acoustics has come out with a new product in this category. I guess I was lucky to purchase them when I did. I'm quite happy with them.

The VR-M60 is a crisp, forward leaning speaker, designed, seemingly, for both music and home theater. I use them for music 85% of the time, and I am pleased with the amount of detail that I now hear, although I understand the complaint by some that they are "bright." I happen to like a bright, aggressive speaker, as this quality makes the music more exciting. I do not find these speakers fatiguing. Those who do may have a problem in the preamp or source sections of their systems. Fatigue usually comes from mild clipped or incoherent wave forms, not from "brightness" alone.

I bi-amplify my VR-M60s with an Adcom 535II (tweeters) and an Adcom 545II (woofers), and I fill out the bottom end with a small, but rather over achieving Boston sub (CR400). I also use an Adcom preamp (GTP-500II). For a time, I used an ancient Pioneer 9100 integrated amp (circa 1974) as my preamp and to power the tweeters. The sound then, strangely, was a bit brighter than with the newer Adcom equipment, though still not fatiguing.

These speakers took some time to break in. Out of the box, the soundstage was extremely flat. I was a bit shocked, actually. But the soundstaged opened up as the speakers ran in and relaxed, and by about 200 hours they had reached their enduring characteristics. The soundstage still seems a bit flat, but I have found that placing them closer to the wall helps, probably because they are rear ported. There may be a better placement for them that I haven't discovered yet.

What recommends these speakers, I think, is the level of detail they deliver. While I am not experienced with high end speakers, I have owned Paradigm Phantoms, Acoustic Research PS428 towers, and a set of custom made bookshelf speakers by Kevin Blair of Kalamazoo, MI. Kevin's were the only speakers that delivered anything like the level of detail of these Bostons, which may still have more to offer given a better preamp. (Note: While these Bostons are better balanced and sweeter to listen to, cudos to Kevin Blair for building a truly impressive set of bookshelf speakers that are still in my family!)

So let me summarize by recommending these speakers at any price up to their MSRP.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm, Acoustic Research, custom high end speakers, Adcom, vintage Pioneer, Harmon Kardon.
jwh917   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

Midrange,Bass(WOW),Dynamics,Ambience.

NADA...for a bookshelf.

I finally found a bookshelf speaker i can live with and enjoy in the Boston Acoustics VRM-60.Thier lively characteristics really make music come alive.They really do nothing wrong.Thier midrange is incredible but what sets them apart from other similiar priced speakers is thier bass response.I have never had a bookshelf speaker so satisfying in that it sounds so full.It easily overpowers my 18X16 bedroom with accurate window rattling bass response.This strong bass response gives good recordings incredible ambience.They play all types of music with superb accuracey.As opposed to many high speakers that are too anaylitical...these are not and add real emotion to music.I just can't say enough good things about them.I have had many good speakers in the last 15 years including Paradigm,Snell,NHT,Signet,PSB,Mirage,Wharfedale,Infinity.These are the best.I had a pair of Paradigm Studio 20V3's and to my ear these Boston's are much better.The Paradigm's were good but to laid back and always sounded like something was missing.The Boston VRM-60's are an absolute must audition if your looking for new bookshelves.

bwal   Casual Listener [Aug 11, 2003]
Strength:

Good midrange and excellent highs.

As with all bookshelf speakers, these need a sub.

For bookshelf speakers, the VRM-60s are excellent. They are a little bright, but reproduce music very faithfully. For movies, the need for a sub is evident (as was the case with all the other bookshelf speakers I auditioned -- is it just me?) With a proper sub mated to the 60s [aside: I will pick up the BA-PV1000 I purchased in three days...but who's counting], the sound is quite satisfying. If you are looking for a great set of bookshelf speakers and are willing to buy a sub, these are the speakers to get.

Similar Products Used: I had the BA VRM-50s for 2 weeks and upgraded to the 60s. The 50s sounded a little distant and a bit flat. I use a Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver to drive the speakers.
SI2K   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

amazing crystal clear full sound, great bass response under 80Hz, easy to blend with sub, beautiful finish, well built, solid 5-way binding posts, short (helped with my application), oh yeah, ability to play real loud

expensive $1000 list for bookshelves

I revised this review to keep it short. I have added these as fronts to my BA VR10 center and picked up the VRMX's for rears. The soundstage is enormously wide, lifelike, and deep. I would recommend these speakers to anyone in the price bracket. I would advise people to check out the similiar setup from Paradigm - 20s, CC, ADP. Both are great values but I prefered BA's more in house. 2-channel music was very full even with the absence of a sub. The highs were clear, midrange full, and bass was punchy....all to my liking. Has the ability to play low but not without a sub for movies.

Similar Products Used: Studio 20s
Simon D   AudioPhile [May 06, 2003]
Strength:

Tweeter, mid range, bass.

I had the VRM 50 before buying the VRM 60. Great speakers, those VRM 60, you don't need sub. The soundstage is large and deep. The strongest quality is the ability of the speakers to provide mid range frequencies, without hole like their little sisters. They litteraly project the sound on the totality of the hearing area.

Similar Products Used: Micro 90, VRM 50
zephro   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 09, 2003]
Strength:

Beautiful and natural sounding throughout the entire listening spectrum. Mids and High's are crystal clear! Great bass for a bookshelf, no sub necessary here.

None

I have a pair of these babies in my bedroom running with a Denon DRA-635R stereo receiver and a Denon DCM-460 and these speakers are simply amazing. The first thing I notice was the bass response, which is clean strong and punchy. The mid-range response, as well as the highs, are crystal clear, with amazing imaging and detail. In my main room, I have a pair of VR-M90's and I have to say that the M60 have no problem keeping up with them. This is simply the best bookshelf speaker I have ever heard. Uncolored, beautiful, natural sounding throughout the entire listening spectrum. These speakers blow my mind. I compared them side-by-side and hooked them up left to right to similar priced Klipsch and Paradigm bookshelves. The Klipsch were way too bright and loud. Also, I noticed when I played the Klipsch on the left and the M60’s on the right with an acoustic guitar playing, with the Klipsch I heard the guitar and it sounded ok, but with the M60’s I could hear the guitar as well as the pick hitting the strings. Way better detail with the M60’s. The Paradigms sounded like they were missing something. Not as important to me, but it’s worth mentioning that in cherry wood, they are beautiful.

Lazzdog   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 18, 2003]
Strength:

Sound Looks Bi-wireable Very detailed

None

I do not accept the fact that some people have reviewed these speakers as sounding bright. I have a few questions for them. 1. what is your source and amplification? 2. Do you have them bi-wired? These are the best speakers I have heard for the money. Soundstage is awesome as well as detail. The speaker itself is very revealing so be careful what you feed them they will reproduce all sound. I suggest using a good cd player and a high quality disk like an HDCD before a final judgement is made. Also these things do H/T unbelievabley well. Actually thought phones were ringing, knocks on doors, dogs barking etc...