Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 6000 Floorstanding Speakers

(2) 3" Drivers and 0.75" Tweeter - Bi-Amped

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 13, 2018]
Atariman

Strength:

Very clear sounding, with good highs, and reasonable mids. Total lack of bass though. When using these with both an Airport Express to stream audio via Spotify, as well as directly connecting them to a BeoSound 4, the lack of lower frequencies output was rather annoying (slim cabinets as they are, solid bass can still be provided (look at the Philips LX9000 speakers with integrated dual subs in a similar sized cabinet)) - so when I eventually got a Beolab 2 and hooked them up via....well, that changed everything. All of a sudden the sound was very complete, and only at very high levels of volume did the speakers sound a bit stressed (still without audible distortion though). So, my recommendation is to ensure you get a good quality subwoofer to use these with, to really enjoy them.

Lack of bass output.

2009
[Nov 05, 2007]
juan
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound quality, minimal space required-just 4" wide, look great anywhere you place them, work of art, resell value

Probably the price, but it's worth it.

I have a set of Beolab 6000 speakers hooked to a Beosound 4000 cd/ cassette player. The price paid for the system in 2001 was $5500, but I got i good deal at $1500. I have been using it for 2 months and I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound and quality of the speakers. At low and high volumes the music sounds very clear and with no distortion at all, Although they do lack deep bass when trying to listen to hip/ hop or hard rock, an external sub is the answer depending on the type of music you listen to. I didn't needed the extra bass and I'm very satisfied with the 6000s. Each speaker comes with built in amplifiers, a connection to b&o equipment, and an extra rca input for an external audio source. Each speakers is made from a single piece of aluminum making them very light and help with the acoustics. Anyone looking for a system that takes minimal space without sacrifing quality and sound, should look into these speakers. I got rid of my bulky 5-piece wood speaker set and now i have better sound from this two thin towers.

Customer Service

The people at B&O are very helpful and return calls the same day.

[Apr 29, 2003]
Outlander
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

- Incredible design - Fantastic sound, unless you turn the volume all the way up on R&B or dance - Fits every living room, but strong enough for large rooms

- Not the best speaker for R&B and dance afficiados, they should get a Japanese boomblaster instead.

I got the BeoLab 6000 speakers last week. The store offered to install everything at my place, but since I like playing around with this stuff, I opted to do it myself. So when I got home and opened the large box, excitement rose to a max. Out came two perfectly constructed silver tubes, also known as loudspeakers. When they were placed in the living room and connected to the BeoSound 3000 system, it was time to turn it on. I had listened to those speakers in the store, but in my own living room they sounded even better than the already fantastic sound I had witnessed in the store. You wouldn't believe what sound comes out of these two thin pipes. They easily fill my living room with crystal clear sound and surprisingly clear bass. The speakers itself add so much style to the room: they blend in (because of the polished aluminium) and at the same time stand out, because they're just so gorgeous to look at. What other speakers are permanently displayed in the New York Museum of Modern Art? These are. This is art in its purest form, and function above that. The speakers are also equipped with the Adaptive Bass Linearisation system. The human ear can't really hear low frequencies when they're played softly. However, those frequencies are part of the music and should be in it, even when turning the volume down a lot. What those speakers do is increase the volume of the low frequencies relative to the rest of the frequencies, so that when turning the volume down, the music will still sound the same to the human ear, but at a lower volume. This really adds a lot, since I usually don't turn the volume up that much. I agree that these speakers are very expensive. You could probably get just as nice a sound from speakers half the price. But if you spend a lot of money on a stylish living room, you shouldn't destroy it by a pair of ugly looking boxes. Speakers become part of your living room, so IMHO they should fit in. Those speakers do, they'll look fantastic in every living room. Just as people want a sofa that sits nice AND looks nice, why not buy a set of speakers that sound nice AND look nice?

[Jan 16, 2003]
Cheungster
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Size, footprints, look, clarity.

bass.

To all those reviewers' whom rated this beautiful looking & sound speakers, correct me if I am wrong. My understanding was they can only connect to B&O source. How can you compare B&W or whatever other black box to them? When you can't connected them to B&O product. The 6000 are active speakers, they don't require amp. For their size 3litres they are amazing. It is true they do lack in bass, it depend on the type of music you listen to. If you want more bass, you can buy the BeoLab2 (that is another amazing product). But I found the Avant sound better than the 6000. It added depth, width & bass.

BeoVision Avant

[Oct 26, 2001]
Jason
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent imaging quality. Good detail and finesse.

Lacking in bass response and a bit in Dynamics

These speakers are more for those who enjoy Jazz or classical. They seem to be better suited to a more subtle type of sound. The lack of bass response does not do well when listening to Rock or R&B. The addition of a subwoofer improves the dynamics but they still seem to lack an aggressiveness that some may be seeking. On the other hand, listening to Dave Brubeck or Vivaldi on them will draw you into the music more than many other speakers that I have listened to. Live tracks also sound outstanding due to the imaging quality that they have. Keep in mind that these were designed originally as rear surround speakers. For that purpose I believe that they are among the best. They would not be my first choice for my main system speakers in my living room because I prefer something that hits a little harder, but they would be an excellent choice for a master bedroom or office. If space is your primary concern they take up almost no room. They have a very minimalist style and are available in 5 colors.

In conclusion, overall, these are very good speakers. You definitly want to make sure that you are using them in the proper application (they are not the right speakers fo everything, but then again nothing is). They look and sound good and are well built by a company with a good reputation. Anyone who thinks that there is no difference between a 75 year old company like Bang & Olufsen and a mass marketing company like Bose either has no ear at all or works for Bose and is planting pro-Bose messages on sites like this for free marketing.

[Dec 05, 2001]
Jerry
Casual Listener

Strength:

Great design. Excellent for Jazz, Blues, and rear channel for home theatre.

Needs more bass!!! Price...yikes.

I was in the process of building a new Theatre room and needed a pair of rear speakers in my setup. Because of the size of my room I coudn't afford gigantic speakers taking up the space behind my sofa. The Beolab 6000s filled the duty well and provided excellent sound. Before jumping into assumptions...you have to understand that these speakers were designed as rear speakers and not main ones. Taking that into consideration they probably are one of the very best...and the most expensive rear speakers I have ever purchased. Value wise I would steer clear from them unless you can afford them.
In regards to looks...cool factor is all the way up there.

Similar Products Used:

B&W, Acoustic Research, Axiom.

[Dec 05, 2001]
Mark
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Superior sound for such a small footprint. Ingenious design that looks like a piece of art.

Price and lack of bass

I was looking for a pair of speakers that could easily fit into one of our bedrooms. Size was a big issue so we decided to go with the Beolab 6000s. Sound is very good for the size of the unit. Bass could be much better.

BM, Magnepan's

[Jul 26, 2000]
George T.
Audiophile

Strength:

Cool looking object in your living room?

Lacks definition for the price!

The sound is very muddy, highs are artificial and bass is distorted especially with a high-end source signal. These are just your plain vanilla mass-market low end speakers in expensive wrapping with marketing stunts thrown in to make it look like something spectacular.

Magnepan, B&W, NHT, Parasound

[Jan 26, 2001]
Palito
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sorry no strengths that I could find, excpet for the design perhaps.

Wordt speaker ever in this price range. Cheap sounding speaker in an expensive wrapping.

I did not actually buy this speaker. But went to a B&O dealer to take a listen. To hear if it is really that bad as everyone says it is. I came to the conclusion that this really is a piece of crap.

My B&W DM604 (which are much cheaper than the B&O) are sounding 10 times as good. Don't understand why people can give 5 stars for this product. For god sakes, please listen to some other speakers before you buy B&O. The people who rate this speaker 4 or 5 stars probably only listended to B&O and no other speaker.

If you want an appealing design go to www.piega.com to see if that is anything for you. Piega is also expensive but at least they have a decent hi-end sound, and you can buy them as active speaker (but that is an option).

Only thing about this B&O is the design but I liked the Piega designs better. I give this B&O one star, and that is for all the trouble they have gone through to create this sci-fi design.

B&W DM604

[Jan 26, 2001]
Mike Sivrican
Casual Listener

Strength:

Uniqueness

Lack of Bass

Lack of bass was fixed with a Velodyne HGS-10. Sound is perfect now. Truely amazing what kind of sound these can reproduce. Hooked up to a Beosound 9000 make it look like one of the best looking systems out there. The Velodyne adds even more finesse with the sound and size. I can see where people mind find it overpriced but the thing with Bang and Olufsen is that the components that you buy will not be outdated in couple of years because they came out with a newer and "improved" model. The systems are meant to last for a long time, with their style and build quality, just like a Rolex.