Acoustic Design 3311 Floorstanding Speakers

Acoustic Design 3311 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Basic floor speakers

Possible Fraud Alert
A large number of users have reported these speakers are being sold well above their intrinsic value under false pretences in parking lots, flea markets and online auctions. See White Van Speaker Scam for more info.

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 10, 2017]
Lee
Casual Listener

Found these at a thrift store for $25.00, they looked okay, hooked them up and was hearing a lot of tinny vibration from the tweeters. I unscrewed them and took a look, nothing wrong with them I could see except made in China, they were just cheap tweeters. I thought they might need a gasket between them and the wooden cabinet. I found some old rubber gaskets and placed them between the wood and speaker and screwed them back in. Tinny vibration gone. They now perform a little better than the $25.00 I paid for them. If they now last several years and don't cause problems with my $19.00 receiver, I don't doubt I will get many happy hours of listening from them. Meanwhile, I will keep going to thrift stores and looking for an upgrade.

[Oct 27, 2016]
J.J.T.
AudioPhile

I Just got a pair of these for 40$ at my local GoodWill in pristine condition. My fiance has the 660's. Well worth the price! Great sound all acrossed the frequencies. Some folk call them "The Poorman's JBL's" They don't make Floor speakers like this anymore. Grab them up while you can!!!

[Aug 18, 2016]
Georg van Grass

I got a Linn majestik LP 12 paid about 250 000 with upgrades
2 linn mono amp
Linn speakers

I needed another stereo for my disco room at home bought 2 pairs of the 3311
I like this set sound incredible good ended up buy 4 pair for my studio

I have no idea what some of this comments come from maybe competitors who charge 30 000 for the same qua

[Mar 23, 2016]
LovesItLoud
Audio Enthusiast

I honestly don't know what half you people are talking about! CRAAAP SEE ARE AYE PEE -- CRAP! ???? Is it possible you have a bad receiver and are blaming the speakers? Or your hearing is shot? Perhaps there are two sets of these speakers being sold around the world, one good and one bad. Maybe one of you salesmen could illuminate this detail if you know. I bought my 3311s at a pawn shop in 1995 for $75 and have been bragging about them ever since. I don't know when they were made, but I've been jamming them as both front and rear speakers for over TWENTY YEARS, and they STILL sound fresh and out of the box. LOW QUALITY -- I DON'T THINK SO!! Perhaps I just got lucky and got one of the "real" sets, as opposed to the "fake" ones others must have purchased based on the reviews. The bass is amazing and the high end crisp and clear (in my oh-so-humble opinion). For those of you who paid $200 or more, don't feel bad except that you probably could have talked these guys down further. You got yourself a quality speaker selling at up to $600 in Toronto stores under a different name (if that one gentleman is to be believed.) I recently went in search of another exact pair when one finally blew. I picked one up at another pawn shop for $40. It sounds as GREAT as the first pair. I am feeling like I pulled one over on the industry instead of the other way around. I would sell these for a hundred dollars easily, maybe more. For the money especially, the BEST speakers I have ever owned, even if I paid three times as much. NO JOKE!

[Nov 09, 2015]
JC
Audio Enthusiast

These guys surely get around or they were copied by guys here in South Africa doing the same thing! I bought them for the equivalent of $100 then from the back of a white van!

Although virtually indestructible, Studio Monitors they are definitely not!! Ours were 3312's and looks different from the 3311.Speaker b0oxes were covered in black carpet. I feel I got ripped off in the sense that I expected them to be actual far field studio monitors but they are still going strong after 15 years in a friends home!

Below I cut and pasted a less flattering comment from an Aussie:

''Lets see, 4 way, 125 watts, 12" woofer, ported, ferro fluid cooled tweeter, sound about right? I got hoodwinked into a pair of these aberrations 25 years ago. I guess they're like Rasputin; you can't kill them. To say that they were junk and unmitigated trash would be paying them high praise. Probably the most expensive firewood you'll ever buy, because that's all they're good for. But there are worse I suppose.''

[Feb 20, 2010]
nate
Casual Listener

these are the best speakers I ever had. Can't beat the price of $100 for both.

[Nov 23, 2009]
Cory
Casual Listener

these speakers are solid! my sisters boyfriend hooked me up with these. i only had a sony reciever...(college student) and suprisingly sound relativly well. the highs are there the mids are flat, but the lows.......SLAP! if you like a good variety of crisp sounding base these are for you! i love them to death honestly bang for the buck! you could easily spend $300 more on speakers than these and only a bit of an upgrade!

[Jul 05, 2006]
harry b.
Casual Listener

Strength:

umm, we'll see...
so far, they sound pretty damn good for $50.

uncertainty with this scam buisness...
could it be that the company is just way over-pricing $100 dollar speakers?
but, then again, this whole van buisness is insane. I would love to meet the guy who came up with that one!

ha, this is some crazy stuff.
I saw these at the salvation army and had the same reaction as most of you, 'what's this brand'??? I thought I'd give them a try since salvo takes stuff back. But I think I'm going to keep them!

I know they're not going to satisfy you audiophiles, and I think that's the situation here with the polarity between the glowing and the negative reviews- for those of us that haven't used top end stuff before, these aren't so bad! Yes, I was waiting for the pops and blow too, and I don't know what's going to happen in the future, especially if I upgrade my receiver, but these sound pretty good for $50.
word!

Customer Service

huh?
the white van makes house calls?? hah.

Similar Products Used:

nil.

[Jan 17, 2003]
chaindrive
AudioPhile

Strength:

like all cheep things if you can get a good set? seems some are and some are not. I'mm one of the few people that can hear up to 28000Hz and they sound ok but thats all. I have a old set of pioneer cs-33 that sound as good and they were made 68 if you can get them cheep ok but never give a travling salesman his asking price. and like so many have said on this Beware!!! but they do look good.

cost they are not worth 200 I can make better for that much. if you can get them for $100 a pair or less ok and try them first or dont buy

same story, two guys in a red van this time. "suppliers delivered too many". came in to my store. They had six left and did not want to take them back. well have people like this about two times a month selling something.they try to sell them to me and I laughed. then they came back in and wanted to trade for a paintgun being a salesman myself "let the fun and BS start lol" well they left with a pump gun 200 balls and a cheep mask. from what i,mm reading here thats all they were worth,maybe a little more but not much with no support. well mine have worked good for the last 5 years and i have pushed them hard the top end dose have some holes in it but the lows are very good they make a good surround speaker as thats what they are for me now but stuido "not" this pair has a clean sound good for watching movies. they are the back pair. oh and my cost 71 bucks worth of stuff my cost.

Similar Products Used:

pioneer,kenwood and more and they are not that big. My CS-V9920 are a lot bigger and I have two MB-2 in my living room. Now thats big for this small room!

[Nov 20, 2002]
Marc
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sorry, but these things crank.

People get ripped off.

Uhhh...anyone know where I can get a replacement woofer? I kinda went overboard w/some Metallica. I'd like the same woofer so it doesn't sound uneven. Lemme know please....fstliferdr@yahoo.com Thanx bros.