B&W DM 601 Bookshelf Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[May 15, 2017]
activebass
Audio Enthusiast

At the time, they offered excellent value and handled all genres well.

I write this review while listening to my B&W 601 speakers - 17 years after I bought them in early 2000. At the time, I think I paid just under USD400 or around GBP250 for them. I shopped around quite a bit, listening to brands like Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Mordaunt Short, JBL, Sony, Yamaha, Mirage etc Some were better for speciffic genres, but absolutely none fo them sounded better across all genres like the 601 did.

They still continue to impress me and sound bigger than they should. When placed properly, for my living room that means about 20 cm away from the walls and toed in, they sound engaging, offer a good stereo image and sound stage with just enough bass to satisfy me as a bass player.

I listen to many different genres - and I don't mean that in a "I listed to Colbie Caillat, Coldplay and Flo-Rida" kind of way. I mean that in a "I listen to Ella Fitzgerald, Sepultura, Django Reinhardt, Eurasure, Metallica, Weezer, Kate Bush, Prince, Erikah Badu, Carole King, Tupac, Depeche Mode, DMB, Primus, Periphery Marcus Miller, Paco De Lucia, Bob Marley" kind of way.

The 601s handle them all very well. They might not excel in any single genre, although they are excellent with vocals, but they do everything well. Back in 2000 when I was auditioning speakers, there weren't too many bookshelf speakers which could sound good with quiet acoustic stuff and still handle Rage Against The Machine. They either didn't sound engaging or were too shrill or the bass was too muddy / boomy.

Some people have a tendency of reviewing without considering the price point or build quality. I read way too many reviews along the lines of "I bought x brand speakers at a garage sale for $20 and paired with a sub, they blow the B&Ws out of the water" or "I bought x brand speakers which are Made In China for $99 and they sound twice as good as my friend's $1000 speakers". Nah, that's just plain BS. Compare apples to apples. The 601 speakers - without a subwoofer - offer a very satisfying, insightful and fun audio experience across all genres and have lasted 17 years, mate! 17 years! I doubt my marriage will last that long!

Source: Marantz CD6004
AMP: Rotal RA-971
Interconnext: Ixos
Cables: QED Silver

and I still have a 16 year old Q Series Sony MiniDisc deck which still works!

[Dec 10, 2011]
roy
Audio Enthusiast

IIt may be because English are still always good in excagrrating the quality of every of their very poor ENGLISH quality products out of the steam train age, which is believed by many people that still live their iIve in the stone age. But my non prejudiced non English verdict is that these English speakers are of very poor quality.

I have some very old (ALSO ENGLISH) B&W DM 310 speakers, which sound extremely good in combination with my extremeley good price/quality Japanese Denon amplifiersm, which do not need any review by so called expert English marketing audio papers, to be very good. If I compare my old DM 310's with the 610's , in the same room, with the same drivere and the same music, whichever music (Jazz, Rock, Gregorian, etc.) it seems as if something is seriously wong with the DM310. So if you listen to the DM 310 I advise nou to listen to the big Englisk B&W marketing machine, but to the speajkers themselves and I hope you will find also that the big B&W/English old buddiess sweet talk marketing network is again wrong this time.

[Jul 30, 2011]
vinny
AudioPhile

Have been listening to these little gems for over 15 years. With my Rotel integrated amp, cd player and Audioquest cables. All I can say is they are slightly above average, and very overrated. I guess its in the name. If you like loud music, esp heavy metal you can just about forget any clarity. Well recorded Modern Jazz and warm female voices are there strong point. Just dont push them . The highs are too sparkly, mid range is muddy and bass is too warm and rolls off very early. One thing I will say is that they are rugged. Almost look as good as the day that I purchased them. I know B&W have made better sounding speakers. These are just not one of them.

[Mar 03, 2011]
rainforth
Audio Enthusiast

Bought from charity shop for £49 in mint condition - stunning little speakers which I use in my music room (I'm a professional pianist). Clearly not in the same league as the Kef Reference 3s which are in my main room but I am astonished at the detail, clarity and accuracy of these little gems.

[Feb 19, 2008]
Richard
AudioPhile

Strength:

Sound quality and smoothness is awesome.
Got them cheap kuz they're getting old but still running like new if not better.

Missing the large cabinet deep sound.
Missing the bass extension that bass drivers would bring.
This is why they would be the perfect rear speakers.

I have the 601 series 1. I love the sound of all B&W products in general. I find their tone smooth and enjoyable. I had a pair of B&W 303s and when i revved up these and compared them, i was blown away by the way the 601s have a more "complete" sound to them. I saw the difference those Kevlar drivers make! Now I'm looking into getting full towers from B&W and putting the 601s in the rear.

Once you go B&W... you cant go back to crappy "JVC-ish" junk!

B&W 303
Energy crap

[Jul 06, 2007]
buscador de audio
AudioPhile

Strength:

clear sound, very detailled, excellent for the value.

poor bass but this actually does not count because there excellent boxes

excellent little speakers, great sound for budget price but this babies deserve a good amplifier like Marantz, Linn, Audio Creek, etc.

I have been using this speakers for a very long time and even that there are many top speakers in the market this are still my favorites

JBL, Linn, Tannoy

[Apr 19, 2006]
bubacka
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Detailed highs, Fast recovery, Accuracy of Midfield and Bass, Creamy mids, Tight and punchy bass.

Not very low bass, not very important for me.

I was amazed with the detail presentation from my DM601, I use them in studio, and i could listen to them for hours and hours. They present a very good stereo image, very accurate. The highs are a bit colorful, lows are tight and fast. The whole speaker sounds a bit harsh, but that is what i want. What amazed me is how fast are the speakers. I could compare them to Genelec 1030, KRK Rokit 8 and others, I find that these speakers are not very good for critical mixing because i feel that they rolloff highs, but they are good for music production, and on the other side i find that i mix better with a speaker that sound like the 601.
One thing that bothers me is that the speaker has not much lows such as 45 Hz, but that is ok with me, many studio monitors that i have lisened to perform like this, and especially like the DM601.
The speaker sounds very very neutral, but not very musical which i appreciate.
I run them with Rotel RB-971mk2.

Similar Products Used:

Genelec 1030a, Tannoy Reveal Active, Tannoy Precision 6D Active.

[Jul 19, 2003]
AH786
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Details, Clarity, build quality, great in all areas except low bass.

none really, bass might not go very low, but what do you expect from a small speaker.

I got these speakers off ebay for a decent price and their condition was top class. I have them connected to my Yamaha RXV396 Amp, with Supra Rondo Biwire cable(what hifi best buy), interconnect is PROFIGOLD PGD481 COAXIAL DIGITAL LEAD (another award winner) connected to digital out of audigy card in pc via minijack-RCA adapter. my sub is yamaha YST SW205 with crossover set at 70hz for music, 90hz for movies. these speakers are top class, they are very detailed, I hear new sounds that I couldnt before with my old speakers. Sound is smooth and clean. Bass is tight and punchy, doesnt go very low but its a small speaker. Overall I'd say for music and dvd its a quality speaker, for its pricerange you wont find much better then this.

Similar Products Used:

Aiwa 80's Bookshelfs(75W), Eltax Silverado floorstanders(100w)

[Nov 14, 2002]
Audio Review
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Tight, clean sound. Excellent quality. Great bang for your buck. Bi-Wire capable.

Missing the deep bass and covered in (reasonably attractive) vinyl. Weaknesses to be expected from a $400 bookshelf speaker.

The DM601 is an outstanding and versatile speaker. They make a great rear speaker for HT and can be tucked away on a book shelf if your needs warrant. I've been using mine for 5 years as my main (and only) speakers for stereo. With proper placement they sound quite impressive. I purchased them expecting to use them in a small room but have mostly been using them in larger rooms and they've risen to the task better than expected. I'm using an aging 200 W/side Adcom and I think the extra power helps make these little speaker sound as great as they do. Everything is as I expect from B&W - Solid, Clear, Tight. Picking up a used pair of these wouldn't cost one much and they were a smokin' deal at $400 new. I'm upgrading now to 604s3 but will hang on to the 601's for another system or future HT.

Klipsh (sp?) Forte B&W Matrix

[Mar 18, 2002]
audio man
AudioPhile

Strength:

everything

little lacking in bass but they are bookshelf speakers set them up right with a kick ass sub and you are in.

I use the dm601s3''s with the lcr60s3 center with my home theater system and all i can say is bowers and wilkins are the best.low end to high end nothing else can touch them.from jazz to metal these speakers are great

to many to mension