NAD 7240PE Receivers

NAD 7240PE Receivers

DESCRIPTION

The 7240PE receiver consists of the 3240PE integrated amplifier, with its vast reserves of clean, solid power for the the wide dynamic range of modern recordings, plus an exceptionally sensitive digital tuner. While the 7240PE is rated at 40 watts/channel of steady-state power, its +6 dB of IHF dynamic headroom means that its dynamic power for musical transients exceeds 160 watts/channel at 8 ohms and 200 watts/channel at 4 or 2 ohms.

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 19, 2019]
mrothbau

Strength:

I own one since 1990 and listen to him daily. Nowadays a complete refurbishment is necessary, there are some ageing parts (see weakness). Amplifier section: A well and neutral sounding receiver with a lot of dynamic, detailed spatiality and a decent, fresh sound and a little bit of warmness (just the necessary amount that it does not sound sterile). Good phono amplifier. In short: an awesome amplifier. By the way - an awesome amplifier with a very interesting circuit. This amplifier is a so-called "class G" amplifier. Tuner section: Not really the strength of the unit but good enough. Sound o.k.

The major weakness is reliability in the original setup. Already in the beginning I had some issues with an voltage regulator of the tuner section, later on some problems because of weak soldering. If the receiver is still alive today - there are some components which are dimensioned extremly tight (especially R443/444 and R445/446, the resistors to adjust idle current, if they fail, there might be additional problems) and have a problem with ageing. After approx 30years a total refurbishment (replacing almost all capacitors, also the ceramic and film capacitors - mine had serious problems with the ceramic capicators and all zener diodes with narrow-tolerance zeners, which are very important for a precise amplification and checking the resistors, some may be burnt, especially the resistors in the soft clipping circuit; some 1/6W resistors should be replaced with 1/4W ones) is highly recommended. But if you do this refurbishment (I've exchanged in mine approx 250 components) the reward is an excellent amplifier.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1990
[Nov 18, 2013]
John
Audio Enthusiast

I purchased one of these new around 1985 or so and happily used it driving a set of DCM TF 500 speakers for the next 14 years or so. The receiver sounds much more powerful than the 40 watt rating would lead you to believe I ended up replacing it with a Pioneer Elite 5.1 receiver when I decided to go with a 5.1 setup. It still worked fine and I gave it to a friend of mine.

[Jan 02, 2007]
bob243
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Solid Reciever
Lots of dynamic headroom
Will still out perform alot of the "200watt" stereos that circuit and bestbuy sells
Was a great entry to intermediate level reciever of it's time and still shines.

none in particular, It does everything it is supposed to and does it well.

Basically I found it in a scrap heap at a shop I worked at in 97, I had recently moved to the area and needed something to listen too.. So I tore into it and found a couple shorted outputs and decided to replace all the outputs with matching parts.. About 30$ later I had a working reciever. For the last ten years I have played the heck out of it listening to everything from classical to death metal. Up until 3 years ago I played i through a cheap set of Yamaha 3way speakers that used to be on sale everywhere for $80/pair. Then I got a vintage set of Klipsch ChorusII speakers and really got to listen to this reciever. I am still amazed with it. Recently I went and started using only the preamp section with an external power amp (Hitachi SR2004) which is about to be replaced with a NAD2400.
As the rest of my collection is getting replaced this will be too, but I will definatly have it setup somewhere, this really sold me on NAD.

This is a great find for someone who wants a solid reciever and doesn't want to disturb the neighbors.

Similar Products Used:

Not really similar, but same power range would be
Kenwood KR-6050
Pioneer SX-750

[Jul 17, 2003]
Phil Walters
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

High dynamic headroom makes it seem much more powerful than it is. Mine clips @ 74 watts into 6 ohms! Bass EQ switch really boosts extreme lows without affecting higher freqs. Great phono stage! Classic, understated appearance. The same basic design has been around for 25 years!

FM tuner really not effective outside of "local" areas, even with outdoor or powered antennae. Cheap speaker connectors. Crowded input panel. Interior build quality "spotty".

Bought the 7240PE in 1989. It has given exceptional service with no problems (except a noisy volume pot that I have learned to live with). The unit has the capability to drive some fairly difficult loads without complaint. I have used it with Snell E-III's for 12 years and am quite pleased with the sound I am getting.

Similar Products Used:

Marantz, Sony, JVC, Kenwood.

[Apr 15, 2003]
Andrew
Casual Listener

Strength:

Affordable, sturdy, sharp appearance, simple to use, clean sound on BOOKSHELF or SMALL speakers, great for college or a basement, easily integrable with other components, one switchable and unswitchable outlet

Tinny or metallic sound at very high volume levels (past 1 o'clock starting from 7 o'clock), lacks front to back fader, not recommended for driving 12" woofers - simply not enough power for that

I've had the NAD 7240PE for 4 years. I was in high school then, and in college now. For a student who would like to expand his selection of products beyond the typical Sony or low grade Yamaha stuff at a Circuit City/Wiz/etc., this amp is recommended. And for $125 and 4 years of reliable service in basements and a dorm, it's economical but not a piece of crap. I am not an audiophile, but I do have a bit of an ear and understand what presence is about. On a set of KLH 900B's, the receiver sounds great, esp. with an AMC 10" subwoofer added in (although the amp lacks a sub out). On a pair of Cerwin Vega E712's, the receiver doesn't seem to deliver enough bass and also acquires a tinny sound at high volumes. Perhaps it is a limitation of continuous power or a leaky cap, but on any floorstanding speakers that aren't incredibly efficient, I doubt my amp would mate well with the system. Also, if the amp is switched into A + B four speaker mode, there is no front to back fader. Enough on the limitations...for a student or someone starting out, this amp is great. It is affordable and robust. It can be transported without much concern, and God forbid the thing is damaged, it isn't a serious blow on your wallet. It is simple to adjust and clean in appearance. And for those wanting to continue the 80's fad, this receiver can even fulfill that trivial desire. The amp is rated at a modest 40W per channel, although short bursts of +6dB dynamic headroom enable your speakers breathe a bit. My unit does not run overly hot, and a soft clipping feature decreases your chances of damaging your speakers, esp. bookshelf ones.

Similar Products Used:

Nikko NR-1000 (another vintage receiver with a warmer sound and cleaner sound at high volume levels)

[Aug 09, 2002]
billthom56
AudioPhile

Strength:

Simple elegant NAD design, fairly sweet souning, good headroom, reliable. Luckily, we have had none of the reliablity problems that other owners have had with their 7240 PE receivers.

The NAD tuning section is just OK in a city with a lot of crosstalk/too many stations.

This NAD 7240 PE receiver has been rock solid and reliable for our family's living room system well over 10 years. My lovely wife owned the receiver before we got together, and while I have replaced/upgraded most every component in her original audio/video system since we moved in together, I cannot bring myself to replace the NAD. It is a sweet sounding, reliable receiver, with plenty of power in reserve. We currently have the NAD paired with the powered Paradigm 90P monitors, and I was pleasantly surprised with how good it sounded. Certainly the NAD 7240 PE is close in sound quality to my more high end listening system. I am sure that we will move the NAD to a place of honor in a smaller system in a bedroom when it comes time to upgrade the electronics again, perhaps to an A/V receiver. We will definitely look at NAD receivers again. This has been a great product.

Similar Products Used:

Sony ES tuner, Carver tuner, Kenwood tuner, Mitsubishi tuner.

[Feb 29, 2000]
Rick
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Ability to handle 4 ohm loads

few

I like this receiver very much. The model year is before
1988. This receiver is my wife's. It drives my Acoustic Research TSW 410 speakers with much greater ease than my Denon receiver did. I am impressed with the ability to handle the low ohm loads of my three way speakers. My setup is sufficiently transparent to show the difference between digital and analog recordings. This receiver has been used daily for over 12 years and is still going strong. I am considering a purchase of an amplifier and will probably buy another NAD component.

Denon

[Sep 06, 2000]
Kelly Minnick
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power reserve, Low distortion, Simple

Remote (volume), # of hook-ups

After have a 7020 since new, I decided to upgrade my receiver. I have a pair of the orignal AR-3 speakers that have a nominal 4 ohm rating. These speakers have great bass, but lack output in the high end. They are also quite inefficient. The 7240 shines in this department. The power reserve really adds dynamics whether it be classical or rock. If you are into vinyl, the dynamic range for the phono pre-amp is hard to beat (especially for a 'receiver'). I've had no problems with the machine except when my son was running near full volume with the loadness & bass equ. on...

NAD 7020, Kenwood, Fisher

[Mar 15, 2000]
Adam
Audiophile

Strength:

Terrific sound quality, Ease of operation, Durability, Styling. Power Envelope can really have impact on good recordings.

None in it's Price catagory.
Power Envelope can sometimes be a little overpowering when listening to recordings with very dramatic transients (classical) but is defeatable with "low level" button.

My first foray into buying stereo equipment was buying a Fischer Receiver (it looked great, but sounded like crap-hashy/grainy sound). I owned it for 18 months until it fried itself to a desk (no fault of my own). Then my uncle gave me his old Tube pre-amp and power-amp kit. I think it was called a DynaStereo70, but I'm not sure and I didn't keep it very long - I was afraid it would follow in the foot steps of the Fischer -those old tubes got really hot. So I went to a specialty audio shop and traded in my uncle's old equipment towards the purchase of an NAD 7240PE. Simple styling, enough power to run my Boston Acoustics T-500 and quality was not an issue. Sold.
Immediately, I found the sound to be clear, warm, and forward (many big steps in the right direction). I am only now after 12 years of trustworthy operation looking to upgrade my system. The NAD 7240PE has always been reliable and a pleasure to use and enjoy. I will actually use it as the pre-amp in my system until I can afford a new dedicated pre-amp.
I whole heartedly recommend this product for all it's fine virtues.

Similar Products Used:

100wpc Fischer Receiver with all the bells and whistles.
35wpc DynaStereo70 Pre-amp and Power-amp (All Tube).

[Feb 21, 2000]
Jay Sivam
Casual Listener

Strength:

SIMPLICITY!

A simple remote unit to adjust the volume would have been great.

Apart from blowing the transistors twice (ouch! very expensive to repair), my NAD 7240PE has been great. It has been almost ten years, and it still sounds great. I fell in love with this unit when I first saw it hooked up to a pair of Klipsch Forte. As I was living in the dorms, I had to settle for the Bose 301, which paired up relatively well and also has been service for the last 10 satisfying years. (bought this unit in 1990 - so excuse the 1995)

I have numerous time demonstrated how good a 40 watts/channel amp paired with Bose 301 series II blown away a lot of the "un-natural" producing units out there. Soft clipping is another plus for this unit.

Have retired this unit to do only private listening purposes and to pair it up again with a Klipsch speaker. This is only my personal preference, because there are many other good speakers out there.

Definitely will purchase another NAD product in the near future. Thinking of a T-770 soon!!!

Had interim units like JVC and Sony