Carver Audio TFM-35x Amplifiers

Input Sensitivity 1.5V
Gain 29dB
Rated full power bandwidth 20-20kHz
S/N-IHF A-Weighted,dB >115dB
Dimensions (HxWxD inches) 4.5x19x15.7 (with handles)
Comments 25 lbs

Rick   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 05, 2016]

I bought 2 TFM 35X and 2 TFM 55X plus 2 TFM 6C for my home theater. I am thrilled with these amps! The fill my basement with beautiful sound.
I bought spares, just in case something fails.
In my workshop, I use TFM 15s, and did replace the meter lights in one of those with stock incondescent bulbs. I obviously like Carver amps. As for the preamp, I use more modern units??

Edwin Debrakins   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 12, 2014]

I know the carver tfm's are one of the best out there I own a carver tfm35x and I use it to power my cerwin vega d9's and it sounds incredible it makes my house shakes at low volumes that should tell you more about this amp .

Bruce austin   AudioPhile [Feb 13, 2014]

Found my TFM 35 at Goodwill for $24.99 and it worked and sounded good. (The meter lights were out). I then took it to Roland at Hitech Audio in Gresham Oregon for a full service replacing all the caps and anything else needing upgrading. I had him replace the lamps with blue LED's and that part only lasted a week upon which I brought it back to have normal lamps put in. My bad for not listening to his advice!
I am using it with a Xiang Lheng tube preamp (model 7 updated clone) and dahlquist DQ-10,s and a M&k MX 80 sub. ( with a Dayton audio SPA amp)
This set up with the Carver sounds incredible. A very warm amp in terms to sound quality. The Dahlquists are happy with the power this amp has and I have absolutely no regrets putting the money into the update. ( $450.00)

Ben   AudioPhile [Dec 24, 2013]

This review is for the TFM-35. I purchased it for $180 from a local pawnshop near Tampa, FL. I have to tell you, I always thought Carver amps were un-appealing and unattractive. I changed the Trimpot right away (check out tntaudio.com) and am always blown away by this cheap part change for 5 bucks and 3 soldier joints. I have had numerous amps from the likes of Adcom, Speakercraft, Linn, Onkyo, SAE, and Rotel. I am currently bi-amping my Sapphire ST2's with the TFM-35 (highs) and my Rotel RB-990BX (lows). That should tell you exactly what this amp is good at from my last statement. It is a superb amplifier for the higher frequencies, but is somewhat lacking in the lower frequencies. When you take the cover off, you will see 2 tiny 10000 uf caps. Probably a lot of the reason it sucks with the boom boom.
If you are using a subwoofer, or if you would be using this amp for standmount/ bookshelf speakers and you only have a few hundred to spend, I would say it should be on your short-short list for reviews. Definitely change the Trimpots or pay your local Mr. fix it guy 20-30 bucks to do it. It takes a 680 ohm trimpot, but my local electronics store didn't have a 680, so I got a 1K ohm, or 1000 ohm, pot.

Chaga Nation   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 31, 2013]

I bought a TFM 35 brand new years ago..had to be 1995 or something. Had it hooked to a Carver C-17v pre with a cd player i dont remember and a set of Bose 601 s3. It rocked!!! Had everything stolen except the amp about 10 years ago and just recently decided to build a reasonable system for power and clarity. I dug up the amp from the garage and she was dead. By divine intervention (and the internet) i came across Hi-Tech Audio in Oregon and sent her in for the full treatment. While awaiting its return i added a Carver C-16 Pre, B&W 704's, an Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray/CD, Morrow Audio MA-3 IC's and SP-3 speaker cables...and i bought another TFM 35 and sent it off to Hi Tech. It took 3 months to get the first TFM 35 back..but lemme tell ya, it was worth the wait. This thing sounds so freaking awesome i cant even believe it. Im back into listening to music again!!! I can only imagine what it will sound like when the second amp comes back and i will have 700W/ch with plenty of reserve power that the B & W's need to come alive.

If any of you have this unit, i highly recommend sending it in for the revitalization. It sounds A LOT better than it did the day i bought it...almost 20 years ago. You can pick up used TFM 35's on ebay for around $225...if you can get one that needs repair for less than 200 and send it in for "the treatment", you will have an unbelievable power source at an unbelievable price....and it will go another 20 years.

Brad   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 26, 2011]

For the price you can get this thing these days ($400-$500) it is amazing. Very durable as mine has lasted for decades with heavy use and has always sounded great. I have often thought of getting another one.

spydrn20   AudioPhile [May 23, 2010]

i finally cured a stupid problem i had with my ct27v cutting out . the 27 runs a tfm-35x through 2 mtx215's and a cheesy realistic powered sub. THE VIBRATION FROM HAVING THE PREAMP ON TOP OF A SPEAKER WILL MAKE IT CUT OUT. those 3 things are unbeatable 4 pounding and sound quality. i bought all this stuff new and have never been happier of any purchase i've ever seen or heard.
the mtx-pwr215 speakers with carver power is unreal. great1 2 BAD IT TOOK ME THIS LONG 2 FIGURE IT OUT! my fault, preamp was always vibrating on top of the huge speakers. when i upped the power 2 it on a dedicated line the walls actually move out. what an easy combo if u can still find it.
scott

carl59   AudioPhile [Jun 30, 2007]
Strength:

This amp will drive any speaker made to the max.I think its under rated at 250 watts a channel.My speakers are 87db and this amp. will drive them allday with out getting hot

None

This is one great amp. for the money.I have owned this amp.for over 10 years with out the frist probalem.

Similar Products Used: Bose 1800 250 watts a channel
wire   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 05, 2006]
Strength:

Crystal clear high end , lots of clean power .
I use a CT-7 for a pre and Nuance Star1's with the TFM -35 for my Bedroom setup :) .

Cross my fingers , ill have no problems with the Amp .

Very nice sounding amp , Sound stage is good , the upper end is crystal clear . I am making my comparisons to a Bryston 4b , which i have used for about 20 years or so now . The brystons mids and depth are better than the Carver TFM-35 , but like i said the upper end is better with the Carver and has a softer sound ( than the bryston ) .
All in all you cant miss at these prices , this is great sounding amp with lots of clean Power .

Similar Products Used: Bryston , Nad .
These amps sound much better then NAD , but not quite a Bryston .
jazzmansacura92   AudioPhile [Aug 27, 2003]
Strength:

The 35x is an all around amplifier in my opinion but it's character really comes alive when it's bridged and used in home theater applications, as a stand alone amp it will punish the average speaker and cleanly drive a quality speaker

no adjustement controls for output

i have owned my 35x now for over 5 years and have used it any many configurations to see how it would perform. i am happy to say, this amp has never faded in application that i set it up for and my meter lights have never blown.my power plant consists of a yamaha RX-V2090 A/V RECIEVER,YAMAHA MX-1000 POWER AMP, CARVER TFM-35X POWER AMP, YAMAHA DDP-1 DIGITAL DECODER, BOSE ACCOUSTIMASS V AND POLK AUDIO R15 SURROUND SPEAKERS.This much power is over kill for a single room but using my 35x now as a center channel amp makes the room come alive and i have no complaints.