AudioSource Amp Three Amplifiers

Amp Three

150 watts per channel (8 ohms) 400 watts monobridged AB speaker switching Auto-On signal sensing circuit Left and right channel level controls Line output jacks Toroidal power supply

mike   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 27, 2017]

bought at a second hand store for 40 dollars. plenty of power and great sound,id say distortion could be less but then maybe I should just keep the volume lower a bit,read it puts out 150 watts a side into 8 ohm speakers, bridged said 300 watts into 1 channel. great for the money !!!!!!!!!!

Chris   AudioPhile [Feb 13, 2014]

This is an excellent amp for the money. I purchased mine used on Ebay for about $100 and couldn't be happier with the sound quality. I have several amps including a $1200 Crown, NAD, Altec Lansing along with some other relatively expensive high end amplifiers and I consider this to be one my favorites. Other amps that might have good overall sound tend to be a little weak at lower frequencies so I generally have to biamp my speakers to get the sound I'm looking for. This amp on the other hand produces clean powerful bass as well as crystal clear highs and an excellent sound stage all in one package. So I highly recommend this amp, especially considering it's high performance to cost ratio. Definitely one of the best amps in this price range.

quad63   AudioPhile [Feb 16, 2007]
Strength:

detailed & clean

none, really

This amp sounds great no matter what I play through it. It's connected to MMGs which are 5 ohms and very inefficient, in a mid-size room. It's detailed and clear and won't clip. This is an incredible bargain.

Customer Service

excellent, smart, friendly personnel

Similar Products Used: Quad 405
CerwinVega   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2005]
Strength:

Bass, Sound Quality, power, and price

none at this price!

I use this amp to power my Cerwin Vega 12's and provides plenty of power for the money. I thought this amp was just as good as my old Hafler DH-220 in some areas and with less problems than the Hafler. There could be better binding post connections on the back but for $300 who can complain? I havent had any problems with this amp considering the price. If your looking for a decent amp at a decent price to power your speakers give this amp a try. You will need a good preamp to bring out the most of this amp, although some people have had good results without the preamp. I use this amp with the Audiosource Preamp/Tuner 2 and it works really well.

Similar Products Used: Hafler DH-220
nubi   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 03, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent price; great sound; includes the option to bridge; solid build; great tech support. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed to.

Can get rather hot.

I own two of the Amp 3s (bi-amping) and I couldn't be happier with the product and its sound- this is an amazing upgrade over the Yamaha receiver I was previously using. I have a philosophy about stereo-home theatre equipment; I want to get the best quality sound for the least amount of money. And I think there are amazing bargains out there that nearly rival the "audiophile" gear that one would pay four and five hundred percent more for. I'm sure I could find marginally better amps, but then I would need to upgrade every other component in my system to compliment the upgrade. Can I find exponentially better amps than the Amp 3 that would justify a much greater expenditure? I'm not so sure. But that is the great debate about sound gear...

This Guy   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 02, 2003]
Strength:

Power

Cheap connectors and no voltage meter. I think I can make due.

Wow, this is such a great amplifier for the money. 400 watts in bridged mode! I use it to drive my passive horn subwoofer. My subwoofer is already an extremely efficient speaker, than putting 400 watts on it, it is extremely loud. Because of the Konk shell design of the enclosure, it sounds like a 1,600 watt subwoofer. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Dayton Titanic 12" to put in the box soon. But anyway back to the amp. I am very happy with this purchase. I haven't heard it clipp once yet, and I was almost maxed out on my receiver. I recomend this to any mid-fi system.

apostleis   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 31, 2002]
Strength:

Power, bass.

None at this price.

Bought 2 of these at Ubid and at $160 each plus shipping they are a bargain for 400WPC bridged.

Similar Products Used: B&K 140
gflip   AudioPhile [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

Ample power at a bargain

No meters. Cheesy connectors.

Good sound, lots of watts for a low price. I liked the sound right away -- better than my old TFM15-CB. I'm using it bridged for my center channel, giving 400 watts mono. Power seems good. Clean, and if your system is properly grounded no hum. So far, my only complaints are that the connectors seem flimsy, and there's no meters. But, for $400, what did you expect?

Similar Products Used: Carver, Sunfire
Chris Baldwin   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 05, 1997]

I recently purchased the AudioSource Amp-Three and have to say that I was surprised by what I heard. I originally purchased the Amp3 to be used as a rear channel amplifier in my future Dolby Digital setup for home theater. (currently using prologic with integrated amps in the pre-amp AMC Pro7). I have a pair PSB Stratus Golds that as some of you may know, are power hungry! Anyway, I hooked the amp up to use temporarily for my PSB's while I was shopping for a "main" amp. I think the Amp3 will stay right where it is! The sound is smooth and clear, sometimes with bad program material, it can be a little bright, but for the price does a nice job. The amp will drive down to 2 ohm speakers, (A + B combined with 4 ohm speakers, this comes in handy for bi-wiring) and handles the PSB's just fine. The transformer is large and seems to be wound very well. It looks like all descrete circuits, (can't "see" and IC's) and looks to be made very well. The binding posts on the back are very solid and don't have any trouble with 12 and 10 gauge wire. The MONO bridging switch is a nice toggle design. (400 wpc 8 ohms MONO) and the auto signal sensing is nice for those of us who forget to turn off our amps! 150wpc into 8 ohms and 300 into 4 makes it a nice powerhouse for those of us on a budget needing the juice! I am planning on purchasing another amp3 and bi-amping my PSB's, test runs showed sound improvements in my listening space. Anyway, point is, if you're looking for some nice solid, smooth power and don't have much to spend ($500 or so), I think the Amp3 deserves a close look. Can't find any real "bad" faults considering the price.

Ben   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 14, 2000]
Strength:

smoothness, deep bass, laid back highs, only around 350 at J&R

ultimate dynamics and stage depth, not the most heavy duty binding posts

I've had this amp for over a year now and I have used it with every thing from cheap CD players, DJ mixers, nht s2 and 2.5i's and have continually been impressed. When I used a mid-fi marantz 67 CD player with it, the Amp Three revealed the really low bass(the kind that sounds like concrete vibrating). With NHT 2.5i's and the marantz, the amp three can deliver excellent low bass, although it can't drive the nht's full range to concert, real-life levels, even in my relatively small room. Still, I've become very loyal to the Amp Three. It capitivates you in a may that cheap receivers can't. The detail, laid back highs and smoothness will please people who don't know how much low- end electronics suck, but probably won't satisfy the most experienced listener who wants the ultimate in explosive dynamics and 3D staging.