Yamaha YST SW305 Subwoofers

YST SW305

- Advanced Active Servo technology: a complementary amplifier/speaker system utilizing negative impedance feedback in the amp and a Helmholtz resonator in the speaker to provide strong and accurate bass from small speakers.
- High amplifier power assures enough power to deliver movie theater-like bass effects and the dual 8-inch spruce cone drivers translates the power into clear bass sound.
- Front panel controls make it easy to see the settings and make adjustments when necessary.
- Bass selector tailors the subwoofer's output for video or music at the touch of a switch.
- Subwoofer is magnetically shielded so it can be placed near a TV monitor or receiver without fear that it will degrade the picture.
- Volume control permits the perfect matching of the subwoofer's output to the overall volume of the system.
- Signal sensing on/off: when the subwoofer detects an audio signal, it turns its power on, when it senses no signal for several minutes, it shuts itself off.
- Phase normal/reverse switch makes it easy to phase the subwoofer with the other speakers in your system.
- Dual inputs allow the versatile subwoofer to accept either line level or speaker level input signals.
- Heavy-duty three-way speaker terminals accept banana plug and a variety of other connectors, as well as speaker wire.
- Handsome black ash finish blends in with room decor.

ballhawgs   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 12, 2004]
Strength:

crossover and volume controls work well together, smooth and accurate lows.

Who cares about removing the grill, its not there to look at, rather it should be out of sight. The movie/music switch should be on a remote, and it takes to much wattage to power up from standby mode.

I originally purchased the Yamaha YST 100 (dual 8in) back in 1993, for $750 when HT subs were unheard of. In 2001 lightning struck the house and fried the amp. I was happy with Yamaha's product that I venturd out and purchased the YST-305. Same sound with a 200w amp. This unit has a few more options with the Music/Movie switch,(should be on a remote!) and the neg/ polarity switch in the rear. I have been happy thus far and the bass doesn't seem as boomy as a single 12-15" sup. I do like the idea of a passive radiator to the enclosed version or a ported version, but I have still yet to find an equivalent sub for the money.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha
Kiley Casey   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Good deep bass for size,price

shuts off if the sound is not that high. using the auto mode.

I bought this item from BestBuy thinking I had gotten a good price for a reputable name in Electronics. Boy was I right. The clean rich from my system is awsome. Love it man. It goes good with my JBL system.

ART   Audio Enthusiast [May 25, 2003]
Strength:

see prev. review

no direct LFE connection.

I must be "Nuts" adding another sub,just for my rear Center channel (see prev.review)standing waves not an issue anymore. I got the yam cuz of the slim profile + low price, it hides behind the couch so I get the cleanest rumble/ butt shaking around. Neighbor has knocked several times now pleading me to turn it off/turned down on bass enriched movies and sometimes, concerts (Diana Krall live in Paris / My favorite). Only drawback this sub got is it's missing LFE plug, Hey! for the low price of this sub you can do some fine tuning.This sub really complemented the rest of my speaker system (I have an "L" shaped room.)Maybe in the future I can replace my Polk PSW 650s just to be aestheticly friendly ( 10 x 14 x 9)sized room.

Similar Products Used: Polks,Energy,Klipsch and Def.Techs(best if you got the cash)Supercubes
rainman208   Audio Enthusiast [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

Strong rich bass.

Not the cleanest sub in the world but trust me you won't care. For movies, sports and everyday music listening this sub is it.

I used to sell electronics back around '98 and we had the yst-sw150 in the store which was a dual 6" sub and it blew me and everyone who heard it away. It pur the Bose sub to shame. In fact I sold a couple of them to people who had Bose Lifestyle packages and they all said the same thing; "my subwoofer doesn't sound like that!" It was $400 at that time so when I saw a dual 8" model for half the price available I began to salivate. As I expected this sub rocks. Music and movie recordings come to life. The bass is so rich it's fattening. The only sub I've heard that would come close would be a $1000 plus Boston Acoustics or something. For the price of this sub there is NO competition. Add this sub to your HT and you can charge admission. Awesome sub Yamaha. P.S. When you get this sub play Return of the Jedi and listen to Jabba the Hutt speak!! Wow!

sipet   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 13, 2003]
Strength:

Double woofer.

Unremoveable grills

Used as HT subwoof for first 6 months of its service, hooked it up with RX-V1300. Sent all my apartment doors & window shaking when I watched Stars Wars Episode I Phantom Menace during the pod race scene. Powerful little woofer. Now using it in my Hi Fi set which consist of Rotel RA-02, Marantz CDP - 4000, Marantz ST - 6000 & Yamaha NS - 7930 still is rocking.

Similar Products Used: Audio Source, Klipsh
martin   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Size and sound

haven't found one yet

I bought this unit to compliment my kenwood home theather system the problem I was faced with was that the two large tower speakers for the front surround with a 1" tweeter a 3" mid and a 10" sub was that in order to get ground shaking bass I had to turn up vol. and bass causing mid and high level distortion with the yst sub input from the reciever I can use the eq to fine tune the kenwood speakers for ultimate high and mid range sound lower the bass to the tower speakers tune the yst to pick up where the kenwoods left off and crank up the vol. on yst all the while shaking the walls and hearing every (bell and whistle) with no distortion from the kenwood speakers. fine product for the price and size, deep rich bass for your theater system or just listening to music great buy

Dan Settingsgaard   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 27, 2003]
Strength:

Sound, Value

Lfe input

I have had this sub for less than a month but i am extremely happy. They go very well with my Polk satellites!!!!! The sound is GREAT!

stvnscott   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 04, 2003]
Strength:

Compact size, musical quality, value

Lack of unfiltered LFE input caused me to have to do some major tweaking to get the blending just right.

I looked for a sub to round out my Polk LSi system for serveral months. Considering the quality of the Polks, this was no small challenge. It is important to note that I place more importance on the musical quality of a speaker than HT quality (although that certainly doesn't hurt). I wanted an active unit in the $300 - 400 price range and shopped around quite a bit. The problem was, no mainstream audio store seems to have a good listening rooms--or at least one that mimics the size of my listening room (13 x 15). I read several reviews on this sub and decided to give it a shot when I found it so cheap online. For about $200, who wouldn't? I am very impressed to say the least. In my relatively small room, this sub is incredible. My LSi9s, LSi7s, and LSiC have very good bottom end definition for what they are, so I set their high pass to about 50 Hz. Then, I blended the Yamaha's low pass at about the same frequency (with just a little overlap). With the Polks rolling off above their floor--which frees them of the burden of extremely low bass--and the Yamaha picking up the rest, the combination is quite awesome. I would definitely recommend this very tight, musical sub to a friend. My only complaint is the sub does not have an unfiltered LFE input. This causes the obvious problem of dueling crossovers when using a receiver's built-in bass management. Tweaking required.

Similar Products Used: Infinity, Polk, JBL
turtleforever65   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

Very musical and tight.

Does not shake walls, literally.

I am new to the world of subwoofers. Before purchasing this subwoofer, I have only experienced computer subwoofers (computer speaker packages in the $200 range). This subwoofer makes a very nice addition to my shelf stereo system, gives most of my cds a more natural, rounded, presentation. I have not yet used this subwoofer for watching DVDs yet. However, one question I have is, I have as yet to experience that "wall shaking" bass out of this unit. Maybe it's because I haven't used this with DVDs yet, maybe it's because of the placement. But can someone please tell me how loud can this unit get? I have turned this subwoofer all the way up, the wall does not shake, literally. As this unit has 2 woofers, is it possible that one of them is blown? How can I test to find out?

Peter Baugh   AudioPhile [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

Very musical, great for theater or music. It has a selection on the front panel for music, or theater- nice design. Bacause of its shape, it has a low-profile appearance, due to the dark grey color. Also has auto power standby. Sounds great with a tube amp stereo - this is the ultimate test for audio hardware...

Wish this was available 6 years ago??? No weakness....

I Love this speaker. Great sound for such a low price. The grill is removable, with much care and effort, but control panel wires become visable (grill removal is for component maintenance only). The (very) tight grill is consistent with the overall design- no resonance vibrations accompany the very powerful bass, and it has a relatively small cabinet. It sounds wonderful with my tube amp system.

Similar Products Used: Velodyne 8" 100 watt sub, auto power standby- also very good, but not down to 20hz (nice small cabinet).