Velodyne Acoustics VX-10 Subwoofers

• The internal high-pass crossover is variable from 50-200 Hz
  • A discrete component A/B class amplifier
  • 100 watts RMS/150 watts Dynamic Power
  • Cabinet: An acoustically neutral LDF, ported enclosure
  • "RCA" inputs for connection to the subwoofer/LFE output of a receiver or processor and spring-loaded, high-level inputs. RCA low-level outputs and spring-loaded, high-level outputs are included.

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 15, 2008]
Rob Skiba
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

BASS BASS BASS

None, I've pushed these things to the max and NO PROBLEMS or distortion! Amazing!

I bought my first one a year and a half ago and was really impressed, especially when used in conjuction with a second subwoofer (an 8" Tang Band w/ 100watt amp). The two together would blow so much air that they could blow a bath towel up. I bought a second vx10 when I put together my surround sound system. Now I've got a Pioneer 7.1 system (110 watts/channel) with 7 matching Carver MTMs (200 watts RMS power handling each), the two vx10s and 4 Aura Pro tactile transducers running on a second Pioneer amplifier. I think the vx10s are the best sounding subwoofer for the price and Velodyne is a name that you can trust.

not needed

[Oct 28, 2007]
gcdtrek
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Tight bass, can hook up by line input or speaker level output. Velodyne went to 5 yr warranty now.

cabinet a bit long but other than that none so far

I did not expect a lot but every review on this product was positive. I was more than happy with this unit,real tight bass, goes only to the mid 30 hz but few ears can hear that low anyway. Good deal

No better Customer Service than Vann's IMO Class A operation

JBL 10" Balboa, HK AVR 335 7.1 55 wpc x7 70 wpc x2

[Aug 23, 2007]
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great deep tight bass! Great build! Great price!

Grill is grey instead of black...minor quibble.

Great woofer! Won't shake your house down but will hit you in the gut and put a smile on your face! For the price and great build, it is a great deal for any home system!

I listen to music and watch movies through a Marantz 100 watts receiver, connected to two 501's Bose main speakers, with a bose center channel, with Acoustic Research wireless speakers as my rears. The I already had a enough bass from my Bose's, but wanted just a little extra kick...well the Velodyne kicked me in the butt! It was an awesome compliment to my system! It is very loud for my living room which is a medium sized rectangle, so I just keep the volume at level 3!

The Bass is really nice and tight without any disortion! It's deep without the house shaking. Which is fine with me since I don't need my house to fall!

It's designed nicely too with a slick black cabinent and properly layed out controls! Nothing feels cheap on this baby! It's more than worth the price! The only drawback is the grill is dark grey instead of black but that is a minor quibble!

Overall I love this woofer which really took my system to the next level. Of course there are better more expensive models out there, but for my budget this was well worth the purchase!

So far no need.

Similar Products Used:

Had a B&K 50 watt sub that just didn't cut it!

[Aug 23, 2007]
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Tight bass, no distortion and great build for a really great price!

Grey grill instead of black...but that is a minor thing!

Geat subwoofer! Tight bass, great build!! Won't shake your house to the core, but it will rock your gut just enough to put a smile on your face! For the price it is a real, real nice subwoofer!

I have it hooked to a 5.1 system where I listen to music and watch movies. It rocks for music and it really rocks for movies! The woofer works well with my Bose fronts and center channel speakers! In fact my living room is a medium sized rectangle and the woofer can be a little to loud...so I just keep the volume at three...now that is a nice problem to have. The woofer is hooked to my Marantz receiver and it drives the velodyne nicely!!! I am really happy!!

Did plenty of research and people really liked it and with the right price took a chance! The sucker is big though and heavy so if you buy it make sure you have transportation and room to put it in your living room!

The build quality is exceptional! The sleek black look is nice and the controls are all very sturdy. The wood grain look on other woofers were never in my ipinion to attractive. This woofer has a subdued but elegant look. The only drawback is the grill is a dark grey rather than a deep black...but that is a minor drawback.

Not needed so far!

Similar Products Used:

Original woofer was a B&K 50 watt woofer that just didn't cut it! Got it off of ebay for 30.00 bucks and really doesn't compare to this Velodyne!

[Mar 19, 2007]
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Nice deep Lows, LED Light to determine signal and Standby mode,
Cut-off Frequency knob, Great looking, not too bulky, matches my Speakers!

None so Far!

I wanted to upgrade from my Sony Subwoofer, and I must say this Sun literally blows away the Sony!,
Movies so far have been great, Master & Commander, Star Wars, T2 etc.
Music sounds great too Eagles Hell freezes over, Seal, Eric Clapton, James Taylor
all nice clean bass!
Sub is easy to use with a little tweaking!
I am very happy

Customer Service

Excellent, I had some questions and they were answered extremely fast!

SA-WM200 Sony Sub

[Apr 15, 2006]
icarr
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

bass is low and clean enough for most music
carries the velodyne heritage

lacks snob appeal

You will get a lot of hype about subwoofers but this piece is all I will ever need untill I get hooked on organ music. Do a blind test if you can and see if there is any need for more. It is a huge value from a knowledgeable company.

Similar Products Used:

listened to many-bought this easily

[Nov 09, 2005]
fluancerox
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

powerful enough for large rooms, will get loud, very accurate, tight, and well defined bass, best $140 bucks i've yet to spend,rounded corners on cabinet is a nice touch, there are bigger nicer models but according to sheer output you wont need anymore

lack of night mode, cabinet is kind of deep, not intended for apartment dwellers, I suggest you skip velodyne altogether and go for something with less output which still sounds decent

The only thing i can really say about this sub is, WOW. This thing is incredibly accurate for music, and thunderous for movies. Far better than ANY other budget subwoofer you're going to find out there. The in room frequency response of 26hz is awesome for the price paid. I replaced an hsu stf 1 due to product failure after 2 years, that sub was good but this thing is simply amazing. Buy this and on my word, you will not be disappointed I assure you.

Similar Products Used:

Hsu, Sunfire, sony (crap)

[Jun 29, 2005]
Guiria
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build construction Clean bass

input sensitivy low, have to max out receiver to get sound you want would like to have it in jet black like other speaker grills

Recently upgraded from an infinity BU-1 sub. This velodyne has turned my home theater into somethin' fierce. I auditioned the JBL E150P, Polk PSW303, & B&W ASW600. Although I liked the B&W better, (tighter, cleaner, faster) it was $200.00 more than the velodyne and the sound difference didn't seem to validate the higher price. I was able to listen to each sub side by side over the same audio and movie tracks and the velodyne was great at reproducing the bass lines and drums in the audio. Don't let the small specs fool you, at first I was turned off by this sub because of it's low power rating (100 watts RMS) but this sub really delivers every watt with quality and nice, clean sound, especially for the price. At home it rocks my whole TV room, and so far has never sounded boomy (placement is critical), or bottomed out, unlike my infinity BU-1. Like a previous review, I also had to crank up my bass settings in my receiver to get the bass output I was looking for. Sub is turned up about 60%, receiver is set to a bassplus setting and +10 db on the individual channel controls.

Similar Products Used:

Infinity BU-1 (downward firing, 8 in., 60 watts RMS, ported)

[Jun 17, 2004]
tranemiles
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound Quality, Construction, Price

none so far.

Bass is tight and natural with movies and music. Well worth the 99 bucks!

none.

[Jan 17, 2004]
polobear
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Size/construction, very good sound.

Very placement-dependent, as far as how many walls are nearby (but this is true for most subs).

This is a great subwoofer for a medium to small sized room. It has both line and speaker level inputs so you have a couple choices to integrate it in your system, as well as volume level and crossover level adjustments. Asthetics are good, it's not huge and it's not super-heavy like some subs can be. The bass is very tight and unless you have it jammed in a corner doesn't seem to be boomy at all. Seems to works best against one wall (not two, bass is overpowering). Very sturdy construction, which you'd expect from Velodyne. For $150, you will be hard-pressed to find a better sub anywhere.

Yamaha, Sony