PSB Speakers Alpha SubSonic 5 Subwoofers

Alpha SubSonic 5

The SubSonic 5, with a 10-inch woofer and built-in 65-watt amplifier, replaces the SubSonic 1.

Shayne S   AudioPhile [Nov 10, 2003]
Strength:

Musical. Smooth. Natural sounding.

Stick-on plastic feet.

I have been using the PSB Subsonic 5 in my system for about 2 years now. I feel that the sub and the cable have had a long enough "burn in" time to write a fair review. I have made a hobby of trying to reproduce recorded sound accurately. Whether it be music or DVD's. I've had the opportunity to audition a lot of subs and hear them in various systems. I consider this subwoofer to be a "musical" sub as opposed to a "movie" sub. Don't get me wrong, it does the DVD thing very well. I'm just primarily into music. I'll spare trying to describe subsonic ambiences and whatnot and just say it is a very transitionally smooth, naturally rich and accurate subwoofer. Not at all trying to be flagrantly noticable or colorful. If it is calibrated properly with the bass management in your amp and you use a decent cable, I think you'll find it adds wonderful depth to music. Not the thunky un-natural "I am a weapon of mass destruction" sound of some home theatre subs I've heard. The build quality seems good for such an inexpensive piece although the plastic feet are attached with an adhesive and mine have come off a few times. None the less, it sounds wonderful in my system and it didn't cost me a fortune. A good purchace. Currently: Sub: PSB Subsonic 5 Mains: JBL S312 Centre: JBL S-Centre Back Surr: JBL S-38 Centre Back: PSB Alfa AV Reciever: Marantz SR-9200 Upsampling DAC: Musical Fidelity A3-24 (192k) DVD: Marantz VC-5200 CD/Recorder: Marantz DR-4050 Cables: Kimber 8TC (mains) Kimber 4PR (rest). Sub cable: Monster M351

Similar Products Used: Sunfire. Hsu. JBL. Yamaha
Austen   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 10, 2003]
Strength:

-Value -Build quality -Tight bass reponse -Small footprint (for a 10" sub)

-None noted yet

This review is actually for the PSB SubSonic 5i. I just hooked it up last weekend, and am very pleased with the results. It has great response for both music and video. Not boomy, but adds depth and presence to my CDs and DVDs. It has all the basic features you want in a quality subwoofer; auto power-off, high-level and LFE inputs, phase switch, built in cross-over, etc. It also has a fairly small footprint which scores high on the spousal-unit scale.

Similar Products Used: -Paradigm PDR10
Mike   Audio Enthusiast [May 05, 2003]
Strength:

More musical response than others in price range.

Not quite as loud as others in price range

I have PSB stuff all around for my HT: 4Ts up front, 8C center, 1B surrounds. However, I thought the Sub5 was a bit pricey for a 10" sub so I considered a couple others like the Paradigm. Truth be told, I didn't find the comparable Paradigm much different--probably a little louder, but not quite as musical. For pure HT use, I might have gone with the Paradigm. But since I do music as well, I went with the PSB. My living room has a funny shape to it and is entirely open to the kitchen in back, so while the "standard" sub to go with the setup I have is a 12" (the Sub6), for me, this is more than enough. This thing can easily rattle all the windows in the room when something in a movie explodes--no power issues for me.

Similar Products Used: Paradigms. Also listened to consumer-grade stuff like Infinity and Polk, which isn't even in the same class--avoid.
lawr1   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent Bass Response Very well priced for the product

none

Superb! First subwoofer I have owned, and to go along with my PSB Alpha front, rear and center channel speakers. It has everything one could need in a subwoofer. The bass response is excellent and the nicest thing is that you can play it on very low "volume" on the subwoofer itself without it being agitating. Crystal clear bass!

Similar Products Used: none
samtron   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 23, 2002]
Strength:

clear and not to much bass in the alpha b's so when put with the sub 5, sounds amazing

alpha b's do not have very much bass

I am 16 years old and only 15 when i first purchased my PSB's. I have the Alpha B's for front and rear with the Alpha C and the Subsonic 5. The sub5 goes really well with the alpha b's. i have had my speakers for less than a year and am already trying to sell them so i can purchase something in the high Image or maybe even Stratus series. It will cost me almost my whole years paycheques but if you have heard PSB's before you wouldn't i was so crazy.

Similar Products Used: totem, sony, bose, yamaha
jj nguyen   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 29, 2000]
Strength:

tight bass., solid construction, 5 way binding post

10" woofer

Great sub for under $500. solid performance and tight bass... Highly recommended.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: velodyne ct100
Craig Michael   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 16, 2001]
Strength:

With the image 5T speakers you realy dont need a sub for audio, but for home theater its a Canadian kick ass sub.

It could use just a little more power

This is one of the best subs I have heard for cost. For a good home theater it is just what the Dr. ordered. It works alot harder than the other subs that I compared.

music fan   Audiophile [Nov 30, 2000]
Strength:

Tight, clean, articulate,dynamic, non-boomy bass. Adjustable crossover frequencies and volume. Auto on/off.

No line-out from the sub.

I bought a second one for stereo subwoofering, after owning one for a couple of months.

Not very big in size.

The B&W is quite a lot better, but costs quite a bit more.

The Hsu goes louder and deeper. But I don't like the Hsu for music. But the Hsu kick butt in HT setup.

Need I say more?

Very good value. Highly recommanded.

Similar Products Used: PSB Alpha Subsonic 5, Hsu, B&W. Auditioned Sunfire, Velodyne.
music fan   Audiophile [Nov 30, 2000]
Strength:

No line-out from the sub.

Not very big in size.

The B&W is quite a lot better, but costs quite a bit more.

Need I say more?

Very good value. Highly recommanded.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 15, 2000]
Strength:

Great Sound!!! Especially for a 10" Sub with a small footprint.

none ... ya none!

WOW what an amazing sub. This thing is just sooooo smooth and it just keeps on kicking out the bass. I like the fact that PSB publishes all of the technical data as well (peak power, avg and continuous power as well as the -3/-10 dB cutoffs). All too often companies (Bose) these days assume the general public is stupid and just babble mindless buzzwords about their product. The Subsonic 5 is rock solid, if your ears don;t tell you that just look at the specs!