Optimus SW 12 Subwoofers

SW 12

subwoofer

Kirby Martin   Casual Listener [Oct 01, 2013]

I have a HK AVR30, a Dinosaur for sure. I just got my SW-12 handed down from a relative that passed away. Haven't actually fired it up cause I wanted to know since my HK has a Subwoofer channel and volume control can I just run the Sub connectors (2 wires) to the sub and run it like that? Im not planning on having the sub close to my reciever and it would be a pain in the butt
running all those wires to the sub and then to the speakers. ( JBL Lab 5 Series) Old Buzzards would like to know....

anthony   AudioPhile [Nov 02, 2011]

The cabinet is very good, the driver is not. I replaced the driver with a Dual Boss CX120DVC and put 3 inch thick foam or fiber glass would be fine, same L x W of box, 1 piece. The insulation is a must as the box is slightly too large. When I ran the box through a computer program it all was fine except 2.0c' instead of 1.7c'. The port diameter and length were good. By putting the foam in it tightened the bass very much!!! Also, the driver hole had to be enlarged by about .5" for new driver. The existing crossover should crossover at half of what it did, so now about 125HZ 6db per. Since it's a 4ohm new driver it changes the crossover point lower which is exactly what it needs as well. Very tight and good low end easily down to <30HZ.

publicmail2   AudioPhile [Oct 11, 2011]

Good review! I am replacing mine with a Boss dual voice coil and I like the crossover mod, it's what it needs. 2 questions though, can I leave the dual voice coils alone and not parallel, I don't see the benefit?? But can you explain the crossover mod with more detail. I am a EE by trade and want to make sure I understand. Are the 2 5.6mh place is series with each positive from each voice coil and then parallel the 150uf across each pos and neg of each voice coil?

My personal email would be better at publicmail2@verizon.net

Anthony

OhhWell   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 27, 2010]

Yes, this sub had quite a few downfalls but it was very cheap and I managed to get a great sound out of it in the end. I would up using an old Scott receiver that I had laying around to amplify the sub. I turned down all the bands on the built in 7 band EQ and left the 60HZ maxed. I hooked up both channels on the dual voice coil sub. For some reason, this combination worked amazingly for me. The bass was pretty tight and I didn't have to worry about the horriable internal crossover because the EQ on the receiver was taking care of the high frequencies. The sub was also a tank. I used it for 12 years and then lost it in a move.

I could not recomend this sub if it is to be wired in with speakers but definately if you have an unused receiver or amp and an EQ that you can hook it up with to make it effectively active.

Rob   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 13, 2010]

Not a bad sub. Actually a nice cabinet, if you're okay with a passive sub. Like others have said the internal 200 hz passive crossover (that is what it is supposed to be, it's probably higher if you do the math) is way too high if you simply run your surround through it. ( this sub has inputs and outputs so you can drive it from two other channels in your system). Stuffing socks in the port isn't a proper fix. Take the woofer out, wire the sub in parallel (this is a dual voice coil sub) pos to pos then out to the amp and the same with the negative. This makes a 4 ohm load going to your amp (half the power to get the same sound level if your amp is 4ohm stable, make sure first.) finally rip the crossover apart and wire it as follows: both the 5.6 micro henrie inductors get wired in line on the positive side then take the two 150 micro farad capacitors to BOTH the negative and positive channels. This won't short everything out. I promise. This will give you about a 60-80 hz second order passive crossover ( it will knock 12 db off each successively higher octave. I.E. Each 50 hz higher will be 12db quieter. ) all the parts are in the box so it's basically a free fix. You can also buy a cheap driver that handles more power if you blow the woofer or need higher power handling. (wal mart sells a 12" dual brand sub that sounds awesome. The woofer surround rotted out of my driver.) anyway, the cabinet is nice and stout, the woofer is ok and if you re-wire the crossover like I said it makes this thing sound 200% better and gets rid of all the "muddy" sound. Search for "building a passive crossover" easy mod worth the time and takes this sub from good to great.

myriad1973   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 10, 2006]
Strength:

Low price, for those on a budget.

Boomy bass.

I bought this sub new in 1996, because it was cheap. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I used it never looking at the specifications on it. I recently looked at them, and I was stunned to see why it was so cheap. Sensitivity 80 dB, crossover over 200 Hz. Although it doesn't sound all that bad, I ended up having to buy a better sub. I'm giving this one to my younger brother who's in college.

It's not a great sub, but not horrible either.

dukejean_luc   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 29, 2002]
Strength:

good low bass with my extra big box setup

it doesnt blow up when you want it to!!!

I hear everyone talkin about how they stuff socks in the port to get rid of the booominesss but i like the booominesss and to make it even boomier i faced the sub into a much bigger box and the sound became fatter I then wired the speaker outputs from my amp into the tweeter outputs on the sub wich made the power of the sub even higher and if you put the sub in a bigger box you cant even here the distortion when the volume is high

Similar Products Used: Its way better than my 2 15" car subs i have.
Jason   AudioPhile [Jun 26, 2002]
Strength:

Very Low but pounding bass which is good. It makes the car sound like there's 3 12inchers in there but you only have 1.

None that I have found.

The Optimus SW-12's are good subwoofers. I bought these subwoofer's for $50 and they still bump. My brother Chris said that Optimus suck and they'll blow and I have a 400 Watt JL amp and they havent blown. I had Cerwin-Vegas before on that amp and they blew the cones.

Similar Products Used: 12 inch JL Audio W0's. and 12 inch Cerwin Vegas.
Michael G   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 23, 2002]
Strength:

Yes,it is very strong.

Available in pawn-shops everywhere. Cheap.

When they designed the SW-12,they underestimated the capacity for low-brow humour that audio enthusiasts can display when called to do so. But,in this case the derision is deserved. To put it mildly,this subwoofer has gas. I mean F-L-A-T-U-L-E-N-C-E. It so reminded me of a woman I once knew that I gave it to her. She really liked it! I had to stuff a sock in her to tone her down some,and looking back,I now wonder why I did not think of doing the same to this old subwoofer. I am sure it would have tightened things up a bit,making for a faster,more articulate bottom-end. Actually,a more professional looking plug is available nationwide in adult stores everywhere. It is marketed by Dr.Johnson in his line of marital aid products. I am quite serious in saying that this sub produces the flabbiest "bass" that can be imagined by the brain of a primate. Also,the fixed crossover is set at 200 HZ.,so this sub is really only suitable for the tiniest of speakers with no bass at all unless you want to detract from a larger speaker's "voice-region",for which the crossover should be set no higher than 100 HZ.,preferably 80 HZ. I became permanently immune to Radio-Shack audio- equipment after this purchase. But,at least I know that in one living-room somewhere,the SW-12 and Janice are making beautiful music together...

Similar Products Used: You get the picture.
Steve Parisi   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 26, 2000]
Strength:

Good strong low bass for Home Theater.

Not used for music. A little too boomy

I drive thi Sub with an old Kenwood Amp rated at 70 W/Ch. I does a nice job on movies , especially when you consider the price (Usually $99 on Sale) I would not recommend it for a 3 piece system but if you have an old amp lying around it does a nice job.