Monitor Audio ASW 210 Subwoofers

ASW 210

derrickcdh   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 15, 2004]
Strength:

Clean, fast and tight bass. Good looking Gold drivers A musical sub which performs well too for movies Can play loud Very good quality build and finish

Large footprint Lowest frequency response high at 25hz Expensive retail price

I'm not sure how loud and low the previous reviewers play the ASW210, but I've yet to bottom it out. I've tried bass heavy movies at reasonably high volume like U-571, Finding Nemo (in the whale, glass knocking) and so far the ASW210 has handled them very well. No bottoming out, rattling or port noise heard. Maybe it didn't go infrasonic-low, but the ASW210's specs did indicate that lowest frequency is at 25hz. So, you can't expect it to go much lower than that, right? Yes, there are many movies that are real sub-killers these days but even with a limit at 25hz, the ASW210 still managed to perform admirably. Bass is fast, tight and well controlled. The sub has performed very well for both movies and music. One thing is once I got the ASW210, all other speakers suddenly seem to be performing better. Now my movies can go louder and with more clarity and I did not experience fatigue playing at reasonably higher volumes. The subs build quality is very good. The 2 gold 10" drivers really make this sub a very good looking one too. I managed to get a pre-owned (only half-a-year old) unit that was in excellent condition at a very good price - so I'm very happy with it.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm PDR12 Definitive Technology ProSub 100 Atlantic Technology
Brentis   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 12, 2004]
Strength:

Decent for music

rattling grill cover, bottoms out, just ok finish.

Like the previous poster stated this sub bottems out on anything too deep and too long. It is fine for music in a medium to small rooom, but other than that I would get a nice 12"-15". I'm currently evaluating the Klipsch RSW15 for my needs. I've tried 10" subs to retain the "musicality" but they just don't cut it for movies.

Similar Products Used: Velodyne HGS12, Klipsch RSW15, RSW12
  Audio Enthusiast [Dec 14, 2003]
Strength:

Not much

Horrible port noise, bottom end drop out.

I work at a Monitor Audio dealership and have had 100's of hours with this sub. Let me ask all the other owners of this sub on thing. Have you really put this sub through it's paces? I have bottomed out this sub so many times that I lost count! This sub has a terrible amount of port noise. I'm not talking about extreme volumes either. I have been doing this for many years and am not a kid or a bass head either. This thing is just horrible. Sloppy, muddy and boomy. Tracks like the DTS depth charge scene in U571 will absolutely kill this sub. This thing cuts off at 25HZ! Try running different Dolby labs demo tracks through this thing as well, they will quickly expose the weaknesses it has. Way too lacking for the $1000 price tag.

Similar Products Used: B&W, Jamo, Type Twelve Audio, M&K
bhooper   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

All dimension SOUND ! Girfreind loves the thump-bump sound&feel. If you get the Silver 8i, 5i, etc. you will also have the additional SAF (Spousal Approval factor)as they look great. I like the whole set with the covers off, the spouse wants them on, what'cha gonna do ?

The neighbors. I need to move out of the townhome and get into a detached house.

I'm one of those people (guys) that will spend months and months of research before buying any kind of electronics. Not totally anal but with technology changing so fast the research is worth it. I looked and listened to a lot of speaker systems, and subs. I heard the ASW210 with a complete MA compliment of Silver 8i's, 3i bookshelf's. Holy s*&$t these things sounded better then anything I've listened to before. Not having enough moola to buy the whole package, I just got the ASW210 sub, and added into my home stereo-theatre (spelled in UK english since they are British-made). I had an old Yamaha stereo (not AV) receiever and a pair of *really-old* Bose 601 speakers. The ASW210 really boosts new life into even this relic of a system. I now have the Silver 8i's and the sound is just amazing. Once I get an AVR receiver I know I will hear ever greater advances from these puppies. The whole Monitor Silver line is great, top notch quality. The newer Gold line is supposed to be even better (haven't heard them yet) but that also means you can get the silver's at cheaper prices nowadays.

Similar Products Used: Bose 601 speakers, yamaha RX-595 receiver --Anything at Circuit City, Best Buy -Forget it.--
Tony4341   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 26, 2002]
Strength:

price, size, appearance

slight humming sound

I just purchase this sub after all the good reviews that it got from this site. I am very impress with the power that came from the 2 10" drivers. I have listened to M&K 750, REL Strata III and Velodyne from various local dealers and this MA 210 clearly stood out among them. For the price, this sub is the winner for me. My system: Denon AVR4800 Sony DVP S-7700 Martin Logan Aerius Martin Logan Cinema

Similar Products Used: BOSE AM-7 REL Stata III
mestapho   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 20, 2002]
Strength:

extremely fast very accurate lacks boominess can shake a large room with out sweating price, I bought this new for $600 from a hometheater installer

no crossover defeat

I am reviewing the FB210. I have had it for about 2 months now, so it is just getting broken in. This sub is simply awesome. It is the quickest, most accurate sub that I have heard. Much cleaner than the small box / massive amp subs (sunfire,velodyne hgs, earthquake) This sub is jsut as good with soundtracks as it is with music. As with any sub placement is key.

Similar Products Used: velodyne
Jeff Zick   Audiophile [Dec 20, 2001]
Strength:

VERY TIGHT, FAST, CLEAN AND ACCURATE. FLEXABLE TO MATCH UP WITH YOUR SYSTEM.

NONE, MAYBE A LITTLE UNDER POWERED FOR BIG ROOMS.

I SHOPPED FOR MANY MONTHS TO FIND A SPEAKER SYSTEM THAT GIVES ME AUDIOPHILE QUALITY TO INTRGRATE MY VIDEO SYSTEM TO. THE SILVER SERIES DOES JUST THAT. THE ASW 210 SUB IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD FOR MUSIC, IT IS INVISIBLE WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED, MEANING YOU DON'T HEAR THE SUB KICK IN, WHICH IS WHAT YOU WANT, JUST A SMOOTH TRANSITION. I AM A 50/50 AUDIO TO VIDEO USER, SO IMPRESSING MY NEIGHBORS WITH NOISE IS NOT IMPORTANT, AS SOME SUB MANUFACTURERS WANT YOU TO BELIEVE. "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN" SOLD ME ON ITS VIDEO ABILITIES, YOU WILL THINK THE TANKS ARE IN YOUR LIVINGROOM. THE ASW210 WILL RATTLE THE WALLS. THE 2002 MODEL IS "HIGH CURRENT" AND WILL SATISFY THE VIDEO ONLY FOLKS WHO WANT MORE POWER. THIS IS A GOOD BUY. MONITOR AUDIO IS TRULY, A CUSTOMER ORIENTED ORGANIZATION. I HAVE MET WITH DAVID SOLOMON, VP OF MARKETING, AND HE IS MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP WITH ANY PROPLEM YOU MAY HAVE, AS WILL ANYONE IN HIS COMPANY. THAT IS GETTING RARE TODAY. MY SYSTEM: DENON AVR5700, MONITOR AUDIO SILVER SERIES 9, 5, 3, 12, ASW210.

Similar Products Used: EMBARRASSED TO ADMIT, I OVER PAID ON OTHERS THAT GAVE LESS
Nick   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 14, 2000]
Strength:

Lovely tight bass, useful range of setup controls (variable phase included)

Cheezy black plastic covering - does not keep consistent with the wonderful veneers on the Silver series

After about 30 mins setup I got these integrated into my Audio system - a HK AVR7000 and Silver 9i's. I bought the ASW210's for my home theatre system (NAD T770 & Silver 5i's) but after a few 'test' hours on my Audio system (yes I use a HK AV Receiver - the current rocks!!) that is where these subs will be staying. The sound is absolutely mind blowing. These subs are tight & crisp - unlike anything I have heard before. You can follow every nuance of the bass-line. Which has always sounded muddy on other systems I have heard (costing upto $10,000).

My wife hates these speakers because they are covered in a horrible black plastic - they will get covered up with a table-cloth soon & I am fighting a loosing battle on this.

Similar Products Used: None
Jeff   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

Fast, tight and extremely accurate. Great pitch definition. No boominess or bass overhang. It is never one-notey, and is very powerful! This sub is fantastic for music and great for movies. It is the 1 sub I've found that can do music and movies with extreme accuracy!

It won't mate well with boxy, boomy speakers.

This is without a doubt, the best sounding and accurate sub that I've tried period! I have not evaluated REL subs, but for the low $1000 price tag, the MA ASW-210 does the job perfectly. This sub will work best with fast speakers such as MMG's, Martin-Logans, or any electrostatic/panel type speaker. Of course, it is a superb match with the Monitor Audio line.

It does not have the output of a powerful servo design or an M&K, but it is much more accurate. If you desire more SPL, then buy 2 and you will have plenty of output! I have surprisingly found that using 1 ASW-210 with my MA Silver series theater, it actually seemed like I was hearing more bass then with my M&K-350, because there was a seamless match beteen the 5i's and the ASW-210. Also, this sub WILL NOT drowned out the mids and highs like most powerful subs do. The 5i's, center 10i, and 3i's work together with the ASW-210 to produce a perfect wall of bass, and the sub never draws attention to itself.

This sub has an excellent high and low pass crossover(works better than any sub I've tried) a 0-180 phase setting, and a audio/video switch for the amp's headroom adjustability. I have mine hooked up with 2 XLO Pro sub cables. By using a gold plated copper Y adapter, I hook both cables to the LFE out on my Denon 3300. Then I simply run the cables to the left/right line in(low-level connection) on the sub. This enables me to have the highest output available that this sub has to give. If you hook it this way, make sure you use as quality Y adapter at all costs!

Last, I set all my speakers to large while setting the low-pass crossover between 60-72 Hz depening on the audio/video material. The phase setting can vary but I've experienced a smooth response between 100-120 degrees. When listening to rap or hip-hop, I set all my speakers to small, while adjusting the crossover to 80Hz. Although this sub utilizes a fast and tight aluminum/Magnesium driver with less excursion then paper, poly, etc. drivers, it will still thump hard while playing rap or hip-hop, and there is plenty of accurate boom as well!

This sub has been a huge surprise to me. It is extremely underrated! When set up properly, this sub should be a huge addition to your audio and hometheater system. Even though I've owned 5 subs in the past year because I am so picky........this one is 5 stars without a doubt!!!

www.Jeff.Lerman@tropicana.com
www.hblerman@gte.net

Similar Products Used: Velodyne CT 100; 120, Def. Tech PF 15TL, M&K MX-350thx.
ralph   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 29, 2001]
Strength:

tight, deep, musical, thunderous bass.
even the black finish looks damn good. take off the grill and it looks amazing

none

this review is for the new FB210
i love this sub. ive heard many subs which can play loud and go low but they sound muddy and sloppy. this sub is loud and goes low but hits every bass note with crazy accuracy. ive never found a sub which gives me goose bumps like this one does. it took a little while for this sub to come around but once it got broken in it almost made me cry. i had to turn the gain way down so it wouldnt shake all the pictures hanging on the walls in the house. this sub mates so perfectly with the silver series. if you decide to audition this sub or any monitor audio speakers, make sure they have been broken.

monitor audio