Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofers

KSW-12

Prof D Shelton Parker   AudioPhile [May 15, 2016]

Do not really know product year, bought last year.
What I do know, base on a lifetime of being part of the music industry is that this Sub Woofer, if used correctly is worth every cent.
The unit is solid and the sound is solid.
I use an RTA to set up my system , and in doing so it works as it should.
A Sub Woofer should not be noticed, and if you do, it is only because you set it up wrong.
The woofer should pick up where it drops off from the main speakers, no more, no less.
And the only way to know, is to use an RTA. And if you do not know what an RTA is, than you need to get a pro to do it, and I do not mean a person who sets up Low Riders or any Car system
It takes a real Electronics Tech, or better. And that means that person actually went to College and did an internship with a Major Audio Company , such as Klipsch or Pioneer.

Brian Tambe   AudioPhile [Mar 10, 2016]

I purchased the KSW12 Subwoofer 16 years ago to double as a home theatre and music listening sub. I have been very pleased with the Klipsch KSW12 Subwoofer. Both cinematic and musicality is superb. I use Klipsch KG 4 for mains , Klipsch SC-1 Center channel and Bowers & Wilkins for rear satellites , powered by a Denon AVR 3300 Digital 7.1 receiver!! I've read complaints about the KSW12 and I cannot impress it enough , proper placement and frequency setting and quality speaker cable is necessary connected to the LFE input. Setting the frequency using the control knob on the back of the sub to match the frequency of your main speakers is crucial for optimal performance. Also , make sure the placement of the Sub is in a corner , Right or Left of the front main speakers on the same wall for optimal performance and enjoyment. Also set the volume using the knob on the back to the center position and then turn the volume to the + or gain to match the output level of your main speakers. This will only help your result in sound if you have a surround amplifier. Another tip , if your KSW12 in on carpet , try placing a hard material such as a adequate size piece of tile to set the sub on so the 12" bottom firing woofer reverberates off of the hard surface rather than get muffled or swallowed up by carpet fibers. Hope this post helps others get the pleasure out of the fabulous subwoofer as I have. Thanks for reading , enjoy.

rorythejew4   AudioPhile [Oct 10, 2008]
Strength:

loud

not musical at all

im not very happy with the prefomace should of gone with the velodyne ct120 a much for musical sub for the money!!!

Similar Products Used: velodyne HGS
Velodyne ct series
svs
B&W
Polk
perfect pitch   AudioPhile [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Inexpensive - a good value for the $$

Good entry level subwoofer

Functions plenty nice for home theatre - you will feel the explosions and rumbles clearly even turned down somewhat.

Easy to set up, understandable user manual.

Reliable - never a problem despite cranking it (to riduculous Lord of the Rings levels) at times.

The are better subs out there but only if you are ready to make the price jump.

You neighbors may not like you anymore - sub shakes your house AND theirs when cranked.

Music = muddy. Best to turn down, rely on bass drivers on your fronts, play music in stereo not surround.

Nice entry level sub for those wanting a house shaking HT experience without it being overkill, TOO muddy or boomy. We auditioned a KSW-10 but they were out of stock so we were offered the floor demo OR a new KSW-12 at the same price. Duh - so we took the 12.

Well, I'm sad to see it go but we have upgraded to a much tighter and cleaner sub - (DefTech SuperCube II) but hey, that comes with a much bigger price tag and has multiple drivers and you can't compare. So in all fairness to Klipsch, I have to say we enjoyed the KSW 12 for a good long time. It was paired with Cerwin Vega Re Series 38's (which have their own 15" bass drivers), Cerwin center channel and Boston Surrounds.

If you are in a basement or a very sound absorbing room the KSW 12 is great. For the price it is great. No where near as muddy and crisp transitions compared to others we auditioned. And it is a house shaker when cranked too if that is what you are looking for - crank this baby up and you can rattle 3rd floor windows and floors - and it doesn't sound all that bad considering.

But we're snobs now. We upgrade some component every two years and it was subwoofer/ speaker time. Oh well.

If you like to feel like Satan is burrowing up through your basement floor without too much distortion, this is a good and decent sub. It is however too muddy for music. I would turn it down to 2 when playing any type of music.

Kurt   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

EFFICIENT
SMALL (for a ported 12")
DEEP

Sounded a little boomy at first, so I placed it in a different spot, calibrated it and that worked nicely!

Chinsy laminate (200 bucks doesn't buy you real cherry finishes, never has and probably never will)

This sub got a couple bad reviews. Well it's a SYNERGY for goodness sakes! For the $200 I paid for it, I must say this is a LOT of subwoofer. It's deaper than I expected, very efficient and fun to listen to. It plays the heart pumping LFE tracks in my movies effortlessly, makes my windows rattle and even makes the neighbors complain. I'm satisfied!!!! It's not too big (for a ported 12").

Granted it's not a Sunfire, or an SVS. But cmon, I paid $200 for it.. I was looking for a LOUD, EFFICIENT, DEEP subwoofer that wouldn't break the bank, but give me what I want. No it's not as smooth as the sunfire, not as deap as the SVS. But cmon it was only $200!!! This baby is hooked up to an Integra DTR-5.3. My speakers aren't very efficient so I KNOW this sub doesn't play to it's fullest potential. However, I heard it clip a couple times when I switched to All Channel Stereo. But I had the volume cranked WAY beyond safety levels so It's not anything I flinch at. I typically don't blast my stereo to the point of loosing hearing. That's just irresponsible in my HUMBLE opinion. LOL So yes, I've heard it's limits, but who cares I ONLY PAID $200 FOR IT! I'm SATISFIED!!!! The finish is kinda cheap, but it's a cheap sub so there.

I also have hardwood floors. Boy oh boy does that downfiring driver sound nice in here.

Similar Products Used: Sunfire Truesub Mark something
Velodyne VA-1012
Bose sux
Kurt   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

EFFICIENT
SMALL (for a ported 12")
DEEP

Similar Products Used: Sunfire Truesub Mark something
Velodyne VA-1012
Bose sux
bigmags   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 08, 2006]

Hello the people at acousticsounddesign are awesome i got this sub from them KSW-12 for $330.00 new from ebay or you can go to www.acousticsounddesign.com

wvrecon432   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 30, 2006]
Strength:

Very Loud, Hit low and high with no lack in sound I could hear. Shakes the foundation. great price!!

Speaker is down firing so carpet can muffle the sound a bit. A piece of plywood under it eliminates this if you have carpet though. needs a grill to protect the sub on the bottom from damage

I have had this sub for a bit and am blown away by it's performance! I have heard klipsch was one of the best in home audio for the money and now I know it to be true. This sub will go very low, and mid-bass sounds great too. It is a little dominant over the other speakers I have(cerwin vega) but you just turn the sub down a little and it is perfect. I like the fact that it will shake everything in my home with ease and not break a sweat. I upgraded from a 100 watt Onkyo sub that I thought sounded great until I heard what this thing done to my home theater. I am sure you will find better subs out there of course but what eveyday person has 1000 dollars or more to spend on a sub? Not me.....but if you are looking for a sub you will never have to worry about any problems with, and want room shaking(house shaking) sound from, at a reasonable price then this is the way to go. best 400 dollars I ever spent on home audio!

Customer Service

Great!! Klipsch has always done me right. Came with 5 year warranty.

Similar Products Used: Onkyo 8" 100 watt sub, down firing
ang21ny   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 2005]
Strength:

Big punch, tight bass, i have only had it for a day or so.

Havent found any yet

This thing definetly added some base to my system. I have a Onkyo 989, Infiniti Alpha 50's, Infinity Alpha 20's, Alpha Center, And added the Klipsch KSW-12, In Less than 24 hours i got an eviction notice on my door from the rental office where i live. U cant beat this thing hard enough. I moving in 30 days anyway so it really dont matter.

VBwake19   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 31, 2004]
Strength:

Very tight, clean bass Gets low and powerful Looks great

Didn't sound great with music, although I still need time to work with it.

I have had this sub for a short period of time. It is in a 15x12 room with a 7.1 THX setup. At first I was dissappointed with it when I listened to music. It didnt seem to hit the way I wanted it to, even after many adjustments. After watching a movie with it, I was blown away. While I know there are a lot better subs out there. Probably not for the amount your going to spend on this. It hit every different frequency with smooth transitions. I had to turn the power level down after it did start to take over the other speakers. After that my home theater was complete. I had been using a JBL sub that I look back on now as being so sloppy and unable to get very low bass as the Klipsch does.