KEF PSW 4000 Subwoofers

PSW 4000

Serious stuff. No less than 500 Watts of high efficiency Class D amplifier power, with a 300mm (12") long-throw driver in a hand finished MDF cabinet. As you would expect, bass extension is more than generous - but what's really impressive is the way the LF response is immaculately controlled.

Output level, phase (infinitely variable) and the low pass filter frequency can be adjusted via radio remote control from anywhere in the home, so the unit can be concealed wherever you please.

sbains   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 26, 2005]
Strength:

Positive punch, remote controlled, sturdy and solid. Room shaker

Not really any, except for its kinda big size, but that didn't really bother me..(Using it as side coffee table when not in use!!!)

Was looking for a decent sub to compliment my definitve tech speakers plus denon amp/dvd player. Researched for a couple of months before deciding on the Kef PSW 4000. But before I decided demo'd at least 10 subs, some of these included Rel strata 5, velodyne cht15, MJ 500pro, rel stampede... IMO I felt that that the PSW 4000 delivered the best punch. Not only was I looking for deep low sound but also stomach rumbling. (I love to feel tha bass!) And this definetly delivered. Rel Strata 5 was very good, but the KEF just looked more grander and sleeker even though its monster size. Luckily I have a detached house, otherwise you would never be able to hear the full potential of this beast. For the price I paid, the other equal alternatives just didn't match up. Ohh and another thing, don't let kids get near this monster, really does roar!!!

OVERALL
ljfrc   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Depth, accuracy, power, transparency

The thing is over 100 pounds in the box - hard to move. Of course, this might be part of the reason it is so good. It's pricey but worth it. Setup and room placement is critical. However, this is true of all speakers and subs in particular. But, at least for me, a few inches here or there can take it from fabulous to average and back.

I shopped for subs for 14 years before I bought and kept one (brought several others home, returned all). I just couldn't find one that did what I think a sub should do - disappear. To me, a sub should make your main speakers sound deeper and more solid. It shouldn't sound like a separate component. This sub is the first I've found that does the above. It is so accurate that I can turn off the main woofers, turn the crossover up to 140 Hz (normally a really bad idea) and play deep male vocals and deep piano parts that sound totally natural. Other subs (Velodyne, Sunfire, Infinity, Klipsh, Yamaha, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics and many others) were never able to do what I just described. They're either clean but not deep or deep but not clean. They always stick out. This sub is deep, clean and blends amazingly well. As a bonus, this thing has the power to shake everything in my 3-story house when using it for cinema. The impact at high volumes is amazing.

Similar Products Used: Described above. I listed to subs from $100 to $7,000. Nothing came close. Even pairs couldn't do what I wanted.
OVERALL