James EMB-1000 Subwoofers

• Dimensions: 12"h X 12"w X 14.25"d
  • Frequency response: 20-150Hz +/- 2dB hz
  • Crossover: Auto-on / Variable crossover / Phase switch / Cros

Glennson   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 21, 2005]
Strength:

Very fast response, rich chocolate lows, not in the least bit boomy, solid construction. A great sub for music.

After six months of daily usage, not one that I can think of...

Although I enjoy movies, I am more interested in listening to music. After casually shopping around for a sub that would complement my Sonus Faber Concertinos, I came across the James brand by way of strong recommendation at a store in Manhattan. Not only was I impressed with the sound in the demo rooms, but the salesperson showed me several reviews from magazines that corroborated his enthusiasm. I did some more research on my own and returned to purchase this little powerhouse. The construction is solid…probably weighs 70 lbs. More importantly, the response time is very fast and does what a sub should do…subtly complement the mids and highs without being overbearing and a distraction. The bass is deep, rich and not in the least bit boomy. This is my third sub. I previously had a small Rel and a Cambridge Soundworks starter sub. In my opinion, the James is superior to the Rel, which at times sounded a little boomy and behind the actual timing of music sequences. The size is similar to the Rel…perhaps slightly larger…I actually made the switch without my wife noticing…LOL. I listen to everything from classical to Metallica, Led Zep to the Carpenters, Loreena McKennitt and Tori Amos to classic jazz and flamenco guitar. I am very pleased with this product, and I would strongly recommend it…especially to a hybrid music lover/Home Theater enthusiast.