Definitive Technology PowerField 1800 Subwoofers

PowerField 1800

Subwoofer with built-in 500 watt amplifier

MAFIA MICK   AudioPhile [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

awesome home theatre, great 2 channel stereo

wife,neighbors

this sub bloody rocks'' those clowns who think this sub is muddy should buy a decent cable

Similar Products Used: nothing compares for value
Gilbert   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2000]
Strength:

Solidly built. Nice "piano black finish" top.

No removeable grill, no "auto" on/off switch.

This is the first 18 inch sub I've ever owned.
I removed the grill type cloth that surrounds it
so that I could see that massive woofer at work,
I think it looks better with it off! I have a huge living
room and this power house really does an incredible
job. I have it hooked to the sub output of my pre/pro.
The LFE channel on DVD's is no match for this beast.
The bass is clean, powerful, and LOW, LOW! I've had it
for 2 years and have no plans to replace it. This
monster will handle anything I throw at it now and
in the future. 5/5

Dave   Audiophile [Dec 02, 2000]
Strength:

Good for movies

Can be muddy with music - slow throw - big 18"

This 18" sub moves a lot of air but does it with Trian like force - it is a little slow but commanding, would suggest it for movies but not music. Overall it has been great, got it used and love it. It gets four for being just a little to like mud with music and five for value for shaking the house and the guys next door windows during DVD's.

Similar Products Used: 10"x12" Klipsch, (four) B&W CDM 7 SE's, (two) CDM Centers
Kenton Cornelson   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 13, 1999]

I own two PF12's, a PF1500TL, and purchased one PF1800. I was immediately impressed at how much difference a high end sub could make. Although it did not have as high an output as I expected, the bass extention was deep, clean, and did not color the sound compared to my other subs. This is a case of you get what you pay for and think the PF1800 is worth every dollar considering the enjoyment I get.

The EAR   an Audiophile [Aug 29, 1999]

The PowerField 1800 is a good sub,for movies...for music its OK.Its far from tight...if you ever heard a tight sub.Will go low and loud,and the build quality is good.In the same size I would recomend the Velodyne HGS-18(tighter,more definition)costs more but is well worth the price.Or the Sunfire Signature Sub,the best Miniature sub on the market,output of a good 15-18incher.So the PF 1800 gets 4/5.

John   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 14, 1999]

I owned this sub for two years and loved it. You will not find a better subat this price. Do yourself a favor and audition it. It has the tightest,
flattest base you can find. If you are wondering why I speak of this in the
past tense, it is because I have sold it and bought the 2000TL's.

Chris   an Audio Enthusiast [Sep 22, 1999]

At that price you would expect a great product. This sub does not even have a "auto on" feature. It draws so much current that you just can't plug it in to the "switched" outlet on your receiver. I have owned this sub since '95 and 3 months after I purchaced it the amplifier went haywire, and a mechanical rattle from the speaker itself. I hope their quality has improved since then. If they have improved the quality, I would reccomend it even though it is not the tightest bass around. (Sorry 3 Stars on my experience of this speaker)

Tom   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 05, 2000]
Strength:

Low Bass

no auto on and very heavy, bulky

I replaced the M&K with the Def Tech 1800. The 1800 is hooked to the sub out for LFE. I have the PSB 3i wired into the fronts to relieve the front speakers of the frequencies below 50 hz. The Def Tech moves plenty of air and works very well for the LFE channel. If you can get your wife to okay such a massive unit, get one. Don't let not having an auto on bother you. It doesn't draw very much current, I leave it on. Sitting there powered up will not hurt anything. I paid $1180 plus sales tax from a local dealer who ordered it in from Def Tech after he called Def Tech for a competitive price.