B&W ASW 675 Subwoofers

ASW 675

Sealed cabinet, 10" composite aluminium/paper/Kevlar long-throw driver, 500W Class D amp with switch mode power supply, 22Hz-31/110Hz -3dB adjustable, 13.4"x13.4"x16.2", 56lb.

fendaaudio   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 03, 2014]

Agreed with all reviews but need to do something

Neal   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 04, 2011]

When I installed my home theater, I selected B&W CM4 series mains, CMC center, and CM2 surrounds (all are absolutely awesome!). However, the CM sub (servo) was a bit expensive and to save money I purchased the ASW 675. In retrospect, this was a big mistake. The sound from the sub never meshed well with the rich, tight clarity and endless power of the other speakers. Furthermore, the sub had a nasty tendancy to stop functioning. I would reset the power, and it would resume operations. Finally, about 2 months ago, it stopped altogether (driver failure). Granted, it is 7 years old, but still not something I would expect from B&W.

Bottom line: There are better subs out there for the money, especially considering the reliability issues.

adam.ribbands   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 25, 2008]
Strength:

small, name

light sound, no bass, expensive.

It lcost £600,

After reading a fiew reviews on this sub, I cannot totally agree with all.

I have had no problems with reliability, BUT the sound this thing produces is awful! The bass is light and airy, it does not sound as if it is capable of producing bass at all. It will `flip` in and out of a horrible light boxy noise to a horrible midrange humm. I knowhat I am doing, and I have set it up right, but there is just no depth to the sound. And for £600, what a con!

verry good

Similar Products Used: eltax a12.2, Rel
Mark T.   Audio Enthusiast [May 03, 2007]
Strength:

Dealer support, flexible hookup options, looks good

Bass seems boomy and slower than desired, reliability seems to be an issue

I purchased the ASW-675 for use in our home theatre system. My mains, center, and surrounds are Acoustic Energy and from day one the subwoofer could not keep up with the speed of the AE speakers. The B&W loudspeakers are good, I have owned a couple of sets, I also have an ASW-600 performing bass duties on a 2-channel system. I believe the ASW-675 produces a "boomy" bass with some pretty good sound pressure levels, however, for the $1000 cost - I am not real impressed with the speaker. The subwoofer also has required repair, it just quit working after a two year period of use. I noticed others have had the same event with this model. I would definately audition prior to purchasing, I did not - I just relied upon the B&W name for quality assurance. I also owned a klipsch 12' subwoofer that probably provided the same movie "thrill" as the more expensive B&W unit .

Good dealer network

Similar Products Used: ASW-600 , Klipsch 12" subwoofer
Home theatre system is pioneer elite receiver and dvd with AE speakers and the B&W sub.
Greg   AudioPhile [Jan 06, 2007]
Strength:

Crisp, Tight and impressive low freq range. You dont just hear it you feel it! Never sloppy or smeary. Keeps pace with fast material. Sounds great with music either in stereo mode, or in Dolby Digital Surround sound- in music mode. Still very impressive and satisfying with action DVD movies.

None from my point of view.

Perhapse this subwoofer integrates better with my CDM 9NT mains and CDM CNT center channel spekers than others. Since the timber of this Sub is more in line with that series of B&W speakers. I can only guess that this may be a factor in why others with different manufacture mains or with B&W DM 602s etc. were not as impressed with their outcome.

The bass I get from my CDM NTs, especially because I Bi wire and Bi Amp them may help create a more integrated and harmonious result than others may be able to achieve.

My main purpose in persuing a subwoofer was to provide some extra bass extension when listening to music and also provide extra punch to action movies. In my opinion the B&W ASW 675 really delivers both beautifully.

With it I still have nearly flawless audio quality while listening to music. They way I fine tuned it you don't really notice its there and on, unless you turn it off in the middle of a song. When you do certainly notice it is when playing action DVDs like Starwars "Revenge of the Sith", etc. When there are expolsions and lightning in movies you really notice it. However, it is never overpowered. Never sloppy, or smeary. It provides very tight, crisp low freq. and always seems to keep pace with whatever is thrown at it. I couldn't be happier. I was looking for the best balance of both worlds and feel that I have achieved it beyond my expectations.

As always there are so many factors that influence the end result in audio. Your milage may vary. I will include my setup specs below for reference.

Arcam DiVA ARV200 - AV Reciever
Arcam DIVA P85 - 2nd Power Amp.
NAD T571- DVD/CD
Furman PM8- Power Conditioner
B&W CDM 9NT - Main Speakers
B&W CDM CNT - Center Channel
B&W ASW 675 - Subwoofer
B&W DM 602 S3 - Back Channels

All speakers Bi Amped with Audioquest Type 2 on top, and Type 4 on bottom of speakers.
CinemaQuest VSD2 Digital Cable
AudioQuest Viper Analog Cables out from ARV200 to my P85 Amp.
Monster Bass 400 Subwoofer Cable and Interconnects

Great.

Similar Products Used: ASW 500
J gabriel   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 21, 2006]
Strength:

Nice sound
Deep bass

Bad quality
Not reliable

B&W ASW675 sounds very good and is capable of really nice deep bass. But since I got this sub about year ago, I have replaced it 3 times. Always the same problem: no output! It just stops working for no reason and I usually never drive it hard. I am planning on getting rid of it.

Roarpablo   AudioPhile [Feb 28, 2006]
Strength:

Powerful, tight, fast, organic bass.

The absolutely only downside is the long break-in time, 500hrs can take months of torture... But it's really worth the wait.

So here's the deal... These fools below gave this sub just 1 star, and at least one of them only played them in for 20+ hours and then he considered them broken in, and thats what amazes me. I've had this sub for three months now, and been playing on average 3-4 hours at least 5 days a week, pretty loud bassy music. The first 60 hours or so the sound was just terrible, and I started to think I had invested my money on pure garbage... But from what I read in two different magazines this was supposed to be one of the best sub ever made. But the bass was just wrong in every aspect, too soft and too rumbling at the same time, and so unclear. Then I called the store where I bought them, and the guy told me that he had had the same sub for over a year, and that it took a least 500(!) hours before it was completely broken in. So now I've come as far as 300+ hours, and the sound is starting to really "open up", every bassnote can be heard so effortlessly, and bassdrum in rockmusic is so punchy and hard now, but in a audiophile way, really controlled. I'ts almost like beng in heaven, the sound is that good and powerful now. The difference between when I got them and now is litteraly like day and night. Just pure audiophile powerful smooth bass. It may sound exagerated, but it's more like the opposite. And the best part is that the sound from my 602 s3 loudspeakers is just as clear at low volumes as when the whole house is shaking. It's really Quality over quantity.

mgeroyannis   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 24, 2006]
Strength:

None absolute rubbish

Flapping wings about to take off

After owning this sub for a couple of months i have changed it twice. This sub is what the other fellow has said to be a cheap rip off!! Why playing mostly music i found with Jean Michelle Jarre that when the bass notes went really low this stupid subwoofer sounded like bird wings flapping i thought it was going to take off unbelievable. So after a few negotiations with the dealer i changed it with a Klipsch RSW-12. Another stupid sub to boomy no musical clarity bass was out of tune and so on so i sold the sub and to my suprise i went out and purchased a Yamaha YST-SW 515 for $600 AU. Hooked it with Y-interconnects and boy does it hammer. Tight big bass big sound, my house is on a concrete slab and it was shaking the windows and wall oven? (yes the wall oven). I was so impressed that i went back to the store and purchased another one and BOY WHAT MEGA BASS! ASW 675, Klipsch RSW 12 BRING IT ON!!!! So not big name subs are what they mean to be, just goes to show you that something cheap can actually blow the doors off something more expensive. By the way the yamaha's are ported and are running a 250 watt amp pushing a 10 inch down firing woofer.

Similar Products Used: B&W ASW 650, Klipsch RSW-12, YAMAHA YST-SW 515.
ciscokid1970   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 02, 2006]
Strength:

size

Class D amp Yuuuk, groos, nasty expensive for this quality, D amps are cheaper but this unit is expensive. Hurts B&W name

I am a big B&W Fan. I have B&W 601s with asw300 in my listening room and also have ceiling speakers in my bedroom. Normaly you can buy B&W in any price range and you will be assured of best sound and value in that price range...BUT I was shopping for a new sub for my home theater room. Since I have B&W ceiling speakers and center channel...might as well get a B&W sub to match. Went to local shop listened to the following: ASW 600 ASW 650 ASW 675 ASW 700 After listening I took home both the ASW 650 and ASW 675. I do this all the time...guys at store know me. Burned them in for 24 hours using stereophile test cd. Hooked them up to my system and this is what I found. ASW 650 was less expensive, sounded smoother, richer, better dynamic range with music, Miles davis, Led zeppelin. It was even more obvious with movies such as jurassic park 3 and Independence day. What gives with the ASW 675 ? Well after looking carefully at the specs I noticed that it has a class D amp (as in Digital) These amps "claim" more accurate controlled sound while also consuming less electricity and making less heat. It also allows them to customize the frequency curve of the signal so that they can "squeeze" more bass out of a smaller driver. Now the thing that bugs me is that the ASW 675 is almost twice the price yet I KNOW that the material to make this is cheaper that the ASW 600 so this is a expensive Ripp off. What happens is that D class Amps do not have anywhere near the richness or dynamic range of good old fashinoned Class A or Class B. And when driven hard they distort and sound thin. After further investigation I realized that ALL of the B&W line from ASW 675 up to the ASW 855 has digital amps !!! I wanted to cry. SO IF YOU WANT A B&W SUB BUY ASW 650 OR BELOW.

mgeroyannis   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 23, 2005]
Strength:

Tight fast bass with plenty of oomph goes deep with precision

When played at very very high levels sub cannot be heard B&W 602s3 overpower the sub? But overall a tremendous subwoofer highly recomended for the size and performance output.

Bought this sub a couple of weeks ago. Good tight bass with music. tends to shake the floor and walls (concrete slab). Very nice looking and compact size. Sounds good with Home Theatre as well. If you are after a deep tight bass response and enjoy your music this is the sub to purchase. use it in a 35*35 foot room and can still feel the bass travel throught the house, dont be fooled by the 10inch driver it has plenty of oomph. I dont know what the other guy was saying about the noise his sub was making inside when playing it through home theatre, ive had no problems he must have got a dudd.