Aiwa TS-W50 Subwoofers

TS-W50

60 watt subwoofer 8"cone type speaker in wooden cabinent

Phil   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 18, 2010]

I bought this sub many years ago. Sounded great when I first bought it, but over time, the foam around the speaker basically disintegrated. It still works, and I am in the process of finding a replacement speaker for it.

Soundfreek4ever   AudioPhile [Oct 26, 2007]
Strength:

Being played at super low bass at loud volumes

the cast makes some vibrating noises but hey, bass really shakes things.

Some worker offered my dad a subwoofer for free because sho counldnt use it because she got to many complaints from the bass! So I hooked it up to my Pioneer vsx-816k stereo reciever I bought at circuitcity for a little more than 200$. I am able to push a lot of bass out of it without having to worry about the subwoofer blowing. It has one inplut plug, a switch so you can make the speaker go In or Out, and 4 speaker jack plugs. It has a socket so you can hook an electrical thing into it. This speaker is awsom. It gives me the deep bass I need while I am watching TV or listning to loud music. It as also great for blasting at loud volumes like I do. I love plaing music super loud.

Customer Service

aiwa.com

Similar Products Used: IDK
Alkoholik   AudioPhile [Mar 24, 2005]
Strength:

Small size, volume knob Very good

none

Absolutely great sub for my use (home theatre and Listening to hard rock)small sub but great sound, i use it on my sharp cd-k491 surround system and works fabulous in my 5X5 m room works well on low volume but when It blast it just doesn't seem to give up at all, i was actually surprised at how well it works, considering the small size, recomended for small rooms wanting lots of rumble

Similar Products Used: Sony SA-W10
vivisimonvi   Casual Listener [Mar 19, 2004]
Strength:

SMALL!!!! Great for those who live in an apartment complex who don't want to disturb neighbors. A lasting sub based on personal experience (this is ODD for an Aiwa product) Makes a good "mini" sub for your kid's entry level system. Two sub inputs (high level speaker in/out and RCA type, can be used to input LFE sub-out on a receiver) Phase change capable (switchable between normal and reversed only)

This is the biggest weakness of all... LOW POWERED!!!! It won't do much rattling, but the bass is there :) (even with this, remember placement of ANY subwoofer is CRUCIAL!!!!) Only 3 crossover settings at 120, 90 and 60 Hz) For LOW LFE standard bass you won't find much at all with this sub, I'd only recommend this sub for music.

This was my first subwoofer ever that I still have and use for about 7 years continuously (it was bought for me from my parents). This is the 35-watt TSW5U model. For an entry level simple sub this is great for those who listen at low volumes and wants a power sub that will last for years. From my perspective, I have driven this sub at high volumes (using the high-level speaker inputs) with various amps and doesn't seem to drive past it's capabilites with it's internal amp (don't worry that it'll blow out)... unlike an Infinity 250 watt sub Entra Sub Two that I blew in less than a month... I went for SVS and got a substantial upgrade from there. While this sub is nowhere near the output capabilites of an SVS (not even close is too much an understatement), it is great for something VERY small and entry level. It integrates well with my Bose 401 speakers in my 10 X 10 room (despite it's only 3 crossover levels, I have it set to 60Hz it's lowest setting)). I love the SVS but it just rattles too many things, for something a lot simpler and cheap I would stick with this miniature sub. For some reason after upgrading to a Dolby Digital receiver, this sub makes a low level "hum" (I corrected this by connecting an S-Video cable to my computer... strange!) Different configurations might correct this, I'm not sure of the technical reason, it seems many people have this type of problem with powered subwoofers in general. For the price I paid for at the time it was worth it... with a LOT of other subs competing these days you might want to find this one a LOT cheaper.

Similar Products Used: Infinity Subwoofers (passive Micro II and powered Entra Sub Two) SVS Subwoofers (25-31 PCi)
David Lckie   Casual Listener [Aug 31, 2003]
Strength:

Quality bass sound for the $. Adjustable freqency levels. Adjustable power level.

Excessive vibration and/or rattling of case. Cheap looking cases made partially of pastic and thin wood.

Good value.

Similar Products Used: None
Rob   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 18, 2000]
Strength:

Low Price!!

Little boomy when vol. turn up

Great bargain if you can get your hand one...Although it is refurbished, I got mine for $41 + $25 shipping from Onsale.com. Great addition to bookshelf speakers - at low volume it significantly enhance my B&W LM1 speaker - great match!
For such low price, you can add one to anything - mini system, computer audio, etc.

3.5 star for quality, 5 star for value. Overall still 4 star!

Sean   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

Low cost with very good performance-- excellent addition to a system without a sub. Run your normal speaker wires through the built-in crossover, and it filters out the sub signals (great if your receiver doesn't have a sub out.)

None that seem to matter to me. Actually, it's kinda heavy, but that only matters if you're moving up three flights of stairs on a hot summer day.

Listening preferences (in case you care): rock (classic/modern), techno, ska, rap, pop.

Favorite song to blast this sub with: "Epitome" my Massivivid

I bought this sub over 2 years ago to compliment my low-budget-high-school-kid stereo system. I have a Pioneer SX-205 reciever (100W, I think) with a Pioneer PD-F507 25disc changer running through two bookshelf speakers I salvaged off a really cheap Daewoo mini-system. I liked my setup, but it really had no bottom end. After looking around at the different subs and testing them out in the store, this one sounded the best and was pretty cheap.

So far, I have had no complaints with it-- using it in small rooms (doorms, etc.) It's always on when I'm listening to music, and I run my computer's DVD player through my system and movies sound great. Sometimes when I'm in the mood to crank it, I turn it up and the walls shake. The difference before and after I bought this sub is incredible-- definately a good purchace.

I definately recommend this product to any high-school/college aged people looking for a relatively good buy on a decent sub. It's definately not a high-end product, but it holds its ground for the middle-of-the-road listener. I just wish they'd make a similar product (amplified sub with built-in crossover) for my car-- I've ridden with friends with expensive amps and huge subs and this sub sounds like their systems to me.

I expect to take this sub with me for quite some time, it should keep up with any system upgrades I make in the next 5/10 years.

Similar Products Used: none-- my first sub
Tom Phile   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 23, 2001]
Strength:

Maybe looks... Sounds Half Decent

Amplifier Quality

After about 6 months of use, this sub went completely dead. The problem was with the amp itself which died out. When it was working, the sound was decent. But, you do get what you pay for. For people who have this sub, if you put speaker stuffing it will make it much more tighter and the low end response will be very much improved. Like someone else mentioned, the porting is pretty pathetic.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha, Technics, AR
Matt   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 18, 2001]
Strength:

For the money, decent bass (see my review)

low power, unable to reproduce lower frequencies with any form of accuracy. At loud volumes, sub chirps from a poorly designed port system.

I bought this sub to boost an aiwa mini-system. In my opinion, if your audio needs only call for the sound quality which comes from an all-in-one mini system, then you probably will never have any complaints from this sub. As always, the old saying stands true: You get what you pay for. As stated in my weakness section, the sub is underpowered. If you have invested any money into a decent amp and speakers...don't fool yourself, this sub is NOT a bargain. It will ruin the sound of an otherwise clean system. This sub will reproduce respectable high frequencies with only minor distortion, but lows cut off way too short. At high volumes, it won't shake, it won't rumble, it won't peel the skin off your face, it won't make the neighbors call and complain. It will chirp and whine. I guess to make the sub small and stylish, aiwa decided not to follow any of the general rules of port design. Remove to front panel to see what I mean. The entire front of the sub is formed plastic. The port system is so riddled with plastic that even with a really nice speaker, and a 150 watt amp, this box will destroy the sound....but hey, it looks great right? At any rate, they did throw in a few goodies for the price...front mounted on/off, low pass selector(which by the way, has only three settings), volume control, auto on feature, and phase switch. And yes, the sub is stylish looking. But in all, it is a toy.

To sum it up, if you are a casual listener, don't like to crank it up, but are looking to perhaps fill in a little missing bass...this is for you. But if you have ANY respect for sound recreation, dear god don't buy this thing.

Tony Bird   Casual Listener [Oct 18, 2001]
Strength:

Very good sound, with impressive low end - for the price

None for price

This is a very good sub. It sounds nearly as good as my $300 Yamaha sub. I use it in my home office with $400 cambridge Soundworks speakers. It really makes a hugh differnce in ths overall sound. This sub is truly competent. I got it as an opened item for $75 at a Target department store.