Klipsch Quintet Home Theater Speaker Systems

Quintet

Home Theater Satelite Speakers

chinoloco   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 29, 2003]
Strength:

Sound Quality is good for something this small. Size, price, looks. It will kill the BOSE Acousticrap anyday.

If you consider the price, there are no weaknesses. Is BASS on the weaker side? Of course, what do you expect out of a speaker this small?

Klipsch is slowly winning my heart. This is the second set of Klipsch speakers I own. I have the Reference line in my Living room and these seem perfect for my bedroom. What can I tell you? Of course Reference blows these little guys out of the water, but for the size, the price, I doubt you will find anything better. I am a recovered former BOSE owner. What a joke versus these speakers. I listen to them in Stereo with Direct Source. If you pair them to a decent AVR like a Pioneer Elite, you will be amazed how good quintets are for music. They can really turn your ears. I listen to DVD audio with these satellites and you can hear "sound stage". I think one of the reasons why people say the quintets are no good for music is because people with this price range will pair them up with mass market AVRs and DVD or CD players that have 92hz DACs. Try putting them on a AVR that has the 192hz/24 bit DACs and a DVD Player that supports 192hz/24 bit DACs. The speakers will only sound as good as the source can provide.

Similar Products Used: BOSE Acousticrap.
Roy   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 09, 2003]
Strength:

Best looking speakers...sound for size..price

none

OK...for u guys who say that the speakers....are not producing enough base....DUH!!!!They weren't meant for that..They were meant to produce excellent quality sound and they do that.You guys are looking for way to much to come out from a 3" driver. Great Speakers...for HT. Blow my guests away all the time...especially coupled with the KSW 12" sub...and lcd projector.

Similar Products Used: Quintet for computer
NealF   Casual Listener [Apr 16, 2003]
Strength:

Size, Looks, Price, Sound, Look great mounted on the ceiling.

Havent found any yet.

I posted a previous review of this product when I first purchased the speakers and set up my first HT system. Now that I have learned the features of my HT system and how to get the best sound, I felt that perhaps a follow up review to amend some previous coments may be in order. First I stated previously that these small quintents were not good for Music. This just insnt so. I have found that with my set up if I listen to music in Stereo as opposed to surround and if I run some watts thru them, that these little beauties produce fine sound when listening to music. The stero portion of the amplifier produces far less distortion than the surround, and it seems that by cutting out the center channel and the rear speakers that the music sounds better (at least to my ears). These speakers produce alot of volume and Ive yet to get any distortion and or been able to overdrive them. I paid $90 dollars at Ubid for four of them including shipping and mounted them on the ceiling for a HT set up. The rest of my set up includes a low end sherwood HT receiver, AR subwoofer and Klipsh center channel speaker.

Similar Products Used: Klipsch, Bose, ADS, Boston
jcambero   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

Style, size, I really liked the built-in brackets

lack of clarity, not very powerful

I bought these quintets as a second setup for a home theater room and I wasn't impressed with them at all. I had a set of Energy Take 5 and they blow the Klipsch out of the water completely. I ran them with a Marantz SR-5000 on DTS watching the "O brother where are thou" DVD and the clarity and power of the Energy were much better than Klipsch. I like the sound of the tweeter but the problem was, I had to get like 5 inches close to the center channel to hear the high frequencies. I'm selling these back and hopefully will buy a set of B&W LM-1.

Similar Products Used: Energy Take 5 system
Diablo Grande   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 24, 2003]
Strength:

Wall brackets, size, perfect as rears.

No bass, not much range.

$75 shipped, which is a good price for these. I would highly recommend NOT to use these in a stereo setup, or in a musical setting. They don't have the range to pull it off, even with a sub (which helps). They work great as surrounds or in a modestly priced 5.1 HT setup. Especially if space is a consideration.

Similar Products Used: KEF, Wharfedale, Dahlquist
Neal Farrar   Casual Listener [Nov 13, 2002]
Strength:

Great sound for low cost Looks Great Easy to mount in a variety of posistions

Weak bass handling but then thats a given and not what they are meant to do well

Use these speakers in a HT set up. I paid $70 for four plus $20 shipping, brand new Klipsch built with warranty. There are some fakes or at least not authorized by Klipsch on market see web site for details. I use an entry level Sherwood 5.1 reciever, Klipsch center channel and an AR subwoofer. For the price I paid I can complain. They arent for music as many reviewers have stated and no they dont make bass but how could they. I mounted mine on the celing with the brakets supplied without drilling holes thru the brackets. They are out of the way and look and sound good. Much of the sound and effects in HT seem to be carried by the subwoofer and the center channel so spend your dollars here and go with less costly surround speakers. If you can afford the best than so be it. Four larger speakers does take up more room.

Similar Products Used: Boston, Klipsch SB-1, Bose, ADS
Matt   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 11, 2002]
Strength:

Size, Price, ease of placement.

bass rolls off at around 110hz, a lot of receivers have crossover presets at 80hz, 100hz, and 150hz.

Incredible sound for their size, and very good sound period. They need a subwoofer to really sound good. The sound really opens up with the crossover on the sub set around 110hz. Any lower and the sound becomes "cupped" and "boxy." Once the crossover was correctly adjusted, the speaker really came alive. Very clean and clear.

Similar Products Used: JBL, Infinity
S P   Casual Listener [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent quality performance Very good imaging and separation Smooth, fairly rich delivery of sound Small Size Attractive Looks Very Good Price

Not as strong on music, but still above avg Mounting system on satellites will make you very nervous when people walk past them: reliable but don't even think of just hand-adjusting the position in a carefree manner

The Klipsch Quintet speakers are an outstanding purchase for anyone looking for a solid, attractive, surround sound system. The satellites are small (7") but project very well. For TV and DVDs, the speakers shine. However, the usual knock against these speakers concerns their performance on music. While not bad, they do lack some brightness and depth. However, they still deliver above-avg sound for music. Stereo separation and imaging is outstanding. The system can easily fill my large rec room and the subwoofer, though it struggles sometimes, blends nicely w/ the high-range sounds from the satellites. I have a friend who purchased the Bose Acoustimass series: please buy the Quintets instead of the Bose. The Bose, to be honest are respectable, but simply do not match up with the excellent quality of the Quintets.