Yamaha NS-A1237 Floorstanding Speakers

NS-A1237

Jim   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 21, 2000]
Strength:

Bang for the buck

boomy, muddy bass(see below)

I've had these speakers for several years and I'm quite happy with them considering the cost. The first thing I noticed was the boominess. After opening them and adding about 5 pounds of insulation (I can't believe there wasn't any put in these large hollow boxes), the sound improved greatly. I'm currently driving them with a Carver TFM-35X amp and a Carver CT-3 Pre. I'm embarassed to admit that I was using basic speaker wire to the speakers. I can't afford to go out and by top end speakers cables, but I made my own pair with 12awg speaker wire and gold plated banana plugs. All of a sudden they sound a lot like the old NS-500's that I had years ago (which were the most natural, lifelike speakers I have heard for under $500). The bass tightened up, mids and highs got a whole lot crisper. I'm very happy with them now. Some day I'll upgrade to something more hi-end, but for now, these will do nicely.