Yamaha NS A100XT Floorstanding Speakers

Yamaha NS A100XT Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

- Three-way bass reflex tower speaker.
- The speaker is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed on a TV or video monitor without degrading the picture via stray magnetic fields.
- Five-way binding posts make connections easy and the gold plating provides the fine electrical bond.
- New grille design and satin grille cloth provide an attractive and acoustically transparent protective cover for the drivers.
- The profile radius wrapped black finish cabinet provides a handsome style accent and improves the acoustic performance by reducing cabinet interference and assuring the proper dispersion of sound.

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 05, 2019]
iniquitous

Strength:

About 5 years ago I was offered to buy two of these and I was not so interested to buy because when looking up the specs I wasn’t impressed by the power capabilities stated but they basically were brought to me and the seller wouldn’t take no for an answer. Anyway I hooked them up to my Denon avr-3805 at first to one of the rear surround channels when at the time I was running(unsure of exact model now) Energy bipolar towers which were rated for well over twice the power of these Yamaha , so I had moved the Energy towers to the front channel and gave the Energy and the then new to me Yamaha’s a good honest thrashing as I like to test limits . Well adding little by little more EQ here and more channel level there , WTF I blew one of the enegy tower tweeters. Not what I expected to go first . So I unhooked the energy towers and moved the Yamahas up to front channel . And proceeded to punish them in payback for the energy’s I paid too much for. They received a good break in . Soon after another exact pair of the yamaha NS-100 towers arrive to me barely used like the last ones . I may have paid close to $200 for the first ones and this guy wanted $100 for them . So being glad to buy two more , I hooked em up and I punish these bastards at least 3 to 4 times a week religiously still to this day on the same Denon receiver I’ve been using for more than ten years Crossover set 80 Hz , I bet one could get away with setting to 60hz and be glad with what they got if he were not an spl addict like the rest of us. But paired with the right sub , you will be very please as even a regular sound enthusiest should be able to appreciate these. Especially for the price I paid . Their oldies now but still here with me .

Cons , I’m not complaining . I’m surprised I have not killed these yet

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Sep 08, 2010]
Chris
Audio Enthusiast

i bought these off a guy in Des Moines Iowa, for 100 Bucks....i blast these things as loud as i think they could handle...and boy do they handle...i dont believe the speakers can go louder than i want to push them, but for as loud as i play them (btw i play them off a P.O.S walmart stereo), they work awesome

[Jan 11, 2010]
Jerry Vaughn
Casual Listener

Like these speakers.Got them at a yard sale for $ 10.00.What more can i say.

[Jun 25, 2003]
tinn_85
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Price (cheaper now, but I really didn't want to pay 2 times (or more) the price for sub par speakers) Good Value, and those aluminum cones are damn sexy.

Mid range protrusion (mine did distort thank you Dream Theater) Plain front without the grill. Crappy feet things, but oh well I don't look at them too much anyways.

I Agree with most of the other reviews, but the upper registers can be almost overly harsh at times. When glass breaks in a movie, you definitely know it. I did the midrange mod as well, but I used the covers from a 100 disk CDR spindel, supported by a pencil untill the glue dried (I just left them in it didn't hurt) Fairly flat response, but lacking a little in the mid/high bass, but probbably due to my crappy reciver (EQ is in the mail) My DIY Shiva in a 2.5^3 FT ported box handels the lower end much much much better. I cant get the Timbre match to be exact between these and my Yamaha center though... that was odd...

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha bookshelves (Best $99 I spent from Best Buy they sound really good) , aiawa, Realistic (my dads from back in the day CRAPPY) JBL, Car audio stuff (it works in my room)

[Sep 18, 2002]
bbgallaway
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good frequency response, inverted aluminum drivers sound great once broken in.

Midrange driver isn't isolated (hasn't been a problem for me yet).

Great speakers for the price (I have since seen them much cheaper than I bought them, but I'm still happy). I haven't had problems with the midrange speaker excursion referenced by other reviewers but I'm thinking about doing the tupperware fix as a precautionary measure (isolating the mid by attaching a tupperware container behind it). These are my mains in my home theater, and I've enjoyed them so far. Three way crossover makes for good sound, they've got a good frequency response, but as with most tower speakers they won't really shine unless coupled with a subwoofer (I'm using a Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" sub). You can usually find them new on ebay for about $200, if you do, get them, they're worth it.

Sony SS-U4033, Yamaha NS-A200XT

[Jul 20, 2002]
JohnUTA
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Imaging High and midranges are presently clear and very crisp. These speakers look amazing as well. Very nice grill. Quality aluminum drivers.

A little trouble with deep bass, however they sound great when pair with a subwoofer, so this really isn't a problem. Even without a subwoofer, they still sound decent.

I am very happy with these speakers. I have been using them for a little over a month. I shopped around for some time trying to decide which speakers to buy. I visited many high-end stores and Best Buy as well. I really do not see any major difference between these speakers, and many of the expensive models available at the high-end stores. I spent many days visiting various stores and listening to speakers for hours at a time. I was a little apprehensive purchasing these speakers, because at Best Buy you cannot listen to your own CDs, and have to use they’re set up. However I was happy with what I heard, and could not justify spending over $500 for a single speaker after hearing these. I seriously considered purchasing a pair of the 200XTs instead. But after listening to them for a while, it seems as though they before better at low frequencies, but the high end and midranges just seemed to mush together. The 100XTs while not performing as well with low frequencies, separate and do a wonderful job presenting the high end and midranges. As long as these speakers are coupled with a good subwoofer they can outperform any speaker in their price range, and compete with many high-end speakers. These speakers use nice aluminum drivers, which is rare on low prived speakers. My entire set up consists of a Denon 2802 Receiver, 100XTs as my main speakers, Yamaha NS-6390 as my surrounds, a Yamaha NS-AC40X center channel, and a JBL PB-10 subwoofer. I am very happy with these main speakers; I have not attached the feet yet, and am not sure if I will. This set up is very powerful, and I am very happy with all of the products, however I do not have time right now to review them all on this site. I nearly purchased a pair of Definitive mains, and surrounds, however did not see the advantage in spending over twice as much. The surrounds sounded considerably better, however cost $150 each, compared to $100 a pair for the Yamaha. I would recommend these speakers to anyone. I don’t care how much money you have, unless you really like to blow your money and impress people with fancy brand names, there is no reason to pass up this deal. These speakers perform wonderfully at high volumes without distortion or hissing; like other low priced speakers will when really cranked up. Go out and get yourself a pair today!

Similar Products Used:

Sansui SP-1500 Old model Cerwin Vega 12" 3 Way (I dont know the model number but from around the 70's) JBL Northridge Infinity Towers KLH Towers (don't get these unless you dont have a job and can

[Jul 10, 2002]
rjsoderlund
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Everything, Aluminum cones sound amazing.

None

I purchased these at Best Buy for $299 after going to our local "high end" music store. People in duluth know what store i'm talking about. They only sell Paradigm speakers now. I went there looking for JAMO E670 speakers, just to realize that I was going to spend over $500 on a pair. I went to Best Buy the next day, and I listened to the product line they had available. Without a doubt, Bose and Yamaha were the only speakers worth considering. Needless to say, I set up the Yamaha speakers on my Yamaha 5.1 reciever (which I also purchased at the same best buy) and I was immediatly mesmerized. I fell asleep listening to music and woke up at 4 a.m. to go to the bathroom, realizing I was still in my work clothes and I hadn't set the alarm clock yet.

Similar Products Used:

Marantz 200w (150rms) Imperial 9's (I Think).

[May 17, 2002]
gbozz
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

very clear, loud, balanced

bass

I thought that was pretty good advice on the midrange drivers so I went ahead and performed the tupper wear upgrade. Now I wonder if anybody has any tips to fix port noise. I have the yamaha yst 800, and around 23-25 hz it makes a little bit of port noise. I guess the bass waves at that frequency are at such a length that they don''''t want to exit through the port. Any ideas?

none

[May 04, 2002]
Greg
AudioPhile

I have a quick update on my comments which I recently posted on the A100XT... I just discovered that it appears there is some midbass response being generated by that midrange driver, in effect reacting as sort of a passive radiator sympathizing to the woofers'' movements (just put your ear right up to it and check it out) - this would account for using such a compliant surround on a driver that is wired to cover only frequencies from 2Khz to 4Khz (way out of range for visible excursion). This would also account for why the A100XT sounds different (and better) in the transition from bass to mids than the A200XT, with its multichambered internal construction (which in effect prevents this extra midrange-driver excusion). But, I can''t get past the notion that, especially at this price-point, this level of sophistication could be part of the A100XT''s design... (I had stated that I didn''t noticed any problems with the A100XT''s midrange character as a result of this driver''s visible excursion. If you think about it, take a typical two-way speaker''s woofer that covers the majority of the midrange band as well as the bass, which can display considerable excursion.) I only wish it were possible to phone an engineer over at Yamaha to get the real story... Oh, well; fun to ponder, anyway. (FYI, looks like my last sentence was cut off from my first entry; was saying that I can see any noted American high-end speaker company would be pricing these at $1000 per pair and not $300.)

[May 04, 2002]