Yamaha NS-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

Yamaha NS-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 18, 2019]
Shrek-01

Strength:

Best speakers I have ever owned period. I have had many high end models. They are expensive used for good reason. Crewing Vega D9 are close and quite a bit less money. Spend the money and end your search.

Well made and designef to be child and drunk proof. Have mine hooked up to a Pioneer 1050.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1985
[Sep 18, 2016]
Rob
AudioPhile

I bought my Yammie 1000M's in 1979 for what would be to many, an obscene amount of money.

Money well spent!

They are now almost 40 years old but they sound as good as they did when I first bought them.

The sound is as authentic as you can get. I can go to my local pub and listen to my favourite jazz band on a Saturday afternoon. I can then hear the same performance at home.

Mind you, I also build triode amplifiers with no feedback that leave other amps for dead!

[Sep 07, 2016]
Robert Festinger
Audio Enthusiast

Overrated, bland sounding speaker. No character to them. Non musical. Nothing sounded lifelike. GREAT imaging though.

[Dec 03, 2015]
Roald Tønnesen

Love these speakers c,")

TØNNES
NORWAY

[Oct 30, 2015]
Dragos Andreescu
AudioPhile

Purchased an old pair, then had it upgraded by an experienced ingineer. Everything had to go- wires, caps, voice coils. The upgrade cost double the value but what the heck. Then upgraded the power amp to the classic Beard P100 Signature. Initially I was not impressed, having all the components inside changed. It sounded ok, very smooth, very open. Everything was in its place, but the magic was missing.
Then, as it wore on, I could notice image depth dramatically change, as if a somewhat misterious engine started to kick in. During one track, I could hear the piano literally 10ft to the left. I had to look, you know. I wasn't expecting anything there, but still, I had to look.
Changed some interconnects, still in search for more. Suddently, I realized I was in front of a giant pair of headphones. The sound lets you peer into it just like with the headphones.
I am still early on, the "new" Yamaha NS-1000m are still not broken in yet so I expect more changes for the better. But I will gladly take them as they sound today. The highs are so realistic, for the first time I felt I was truly"there".

[Sep 30, 2015]
Dale
Audio Enthusiast

I have been purchasing reasonably priced, but quality speakers for a number of years. I have owned NHT, Paradigm, Vienna Acoustics, Volti Audio. I simply was bored, most of the time, by how 'they' effected my senses. I love music, and I love having a system that I truly enjoy, and so, something had to change.

I had sold a SACD player on Audiogon, a few years ago, and the person that purchased it told me that he had Yamaha NS-1000M's, and would never part with them. I had researched them at that time, but soon forgot about it, chocking it up to another of the zillion of the same-old-same-old speakers out there.

In my dreary boredom with my speaker situation, I realized how I really love the clarity of my laptop computers crystal-clear clarity, and wonderful stereo image. Mind you, these are little 2 inch speakers that came built-into the laptop. In my desperation to re-ignite my passion for my audio system, my memory of the descriptions of the NS-1000s came to mind. People had described just what I was experiencing with my Laptop speakers, but in the Yamaha's.

I took a chance, looked on Ebay, and there sat a pair for $900, with 2 hours left to bid, and no one had even bid. I knew that this was a good price for the 1000M's, so I took a chance and purchased them. This would be the least I had spent on higher end audio speakers, so what the hell, I was desperate for the chance to be exhilarated by my system again.

The Yamaha NS-1000M's are simply perfection for my ears. I am not being a Fan-boy, not even a tiny bit. These speakers are what I had always thought a high-end speaker should sound like. I realize that each type of speaker-- horns, electrostats, and the typical driver type--has it's compromises, but the 1000M's did not leave me wanting in the least, and they only cost $900, and they did not have any issues....cosmetic, electrical, et. al..

I have only replaced a woofer--purchased on Ebay, but that ain't bad at all for a 40 year old speaker. The clarity is, and not just by my estimation, something that is not really offered in today's market. I should add that I am upgrading the capacitors, simply due to age, not necessity.

Audio is such an expensive, hit-and-miss hobby. I simply want to encourage someone reading this, to not spend a zillion dollars on today's speakers, if ultimate clarity is your number #1 desire from your next loudspeaker. It was produced back in the 1970s, and mine were made about the time I was a senior in High School. I am very grateful that every time I listen to music, I feel like I am hearing 'ear-candy'. If you have found the sound you truly love, then you know what I mean. Happy Listening. :)

[Jul 28, 2015]
andrew
Casual Listener

I have a pair of the yahama ns1000 monitor speakers that i would like to sell. They're great speakers just not for a small townhouse. :(

[Jul 08, 2015]
Ted
Audio Enthusiast

I have bought and sold a lot of vintage speakers over the years, Bose-901s, Klipsch, Advent, IMF TLS-80s,Polk Audio, Pioneer C99As,You name it. Nothing but nothing can compare with the Yamaha NS1000s. When I first hooked them up( to a cheapo Sony no less) I knew something special was going on! Then hooked them up to my Marantz Quad Radial 4300 and my jaw dropped! Couldn't believe what I was hearing. From the lowest volume all the way through rampage there was no difference in sound quality & Clarity whatsoever! AMAZING Speakers!! I am using my IMF TLS-80s right now but on the lookout for the Yamaha's again!

[Jun 21, 2015]
B.A.
Audio Enthusiast

These were stored in finished basement (dry, 55 deg) for 15 yrs. Too heavy to get upstairs. Finally got them & the B2 installed & working. Wonderful.

Android, the Note 3, & Pandora were not even a dream when these we we built.

Better than the best headphones...

[May 13, 2015]
Joe
Audio Enthusiast

I bought these back when I worked at a stereo shop, possibly the same one as Elliot N. I have tried to replace them with something smaller for years but can't find the nerve to do it. And, I haven't found anything that sounds as sweet. I built stands with wheels because the ebony cabinets are just too heavy. Without a doubt the best speaker ever made.