Wharfedale Modus Movies 7 Floorstanding Speakers

Modus Movies 7

6 piece Subwoofer/sattelite speaker system

David   AudioPhile [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

Highs, Mids, Center Channel, and of course the price rocks!

speaker wire connections for fronts and center is weak, but buy pins and you overcome this weakness

This system is the best that I have ever heard for the price. They even rival speakers that I have owned that were over $2K, like my Dalquest. Who would not be skeptical of a spending less than $200 for a satellite system and having it be of quality, but these are definately sound high end. They blow away the Bose, Infinity, and Polk satellites systems that I have heard. If you have seperate amplifiers, it will greatly enhance the sound quality. A seperate adjustable amplifier running to the Sub and then to the front satellites makes the sub sound much better. The bottom line is these are an incredible purchase!

Similar Products Used: Bose, Infinity, Dalquest, Polk, and Magnapans
Jason   Audiophile [Jan 30, 2002]
Strength:

I got the modus movies 7 a year ago. The sub is passive but if you buy a seperate sub you will have a better set than the bose setup. They recently offered a new set called the moviestar 40. All of the speakers have tweeters in this pacakge there is now a powered subwoffer instead of the passive and the center chanel is unbelivable. Skrew bose and the like. Buy Wharfedale at all times the price is hot and they rock on highs and lows.

Skrew the rest Wharfedale is the best. Do not buy directly go to ubid. I just paid less for the upgraded model than i did for the set i bought last year. They are way underrated. Do not waste your money on a name buy any of the wharfedale speakers and you will be happy.
PS
If you keep your eyes open you can too have the hottest speakers in the world. Ubid is hard to get in touch with but to wait on hold for a hour to save 1000 dollars is worth it if you ask me. Any time they sent a bad product they sent the return authorization quick.

Similar Products Used: bose kenwood and and klipsh
Tomi Lonka   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

Clear high- and midrange, good stereoimaging

On the pricerangerange none so far, although bass is lacking. No technical info on the packages! Poor connectors.

My composition is aa exceptional from the original Modus Movies 7-package:
Since it is important to to have 5 identical speakers in a home theater, I decided to do so and purchased a set of five Modus Micros series 2, with pmp-handling of 100W.
Because of the small size of the speakers, the bass is minimal, and the speakers can play barely 100 Hz. Since I'm going to get an active subwoofer in the near future, this is not a problem. I live in a small flat (28 sqm), a powered sub would be a torture to my neighbours.
So far I have been very pleased with this kind of assembly, and highly recommend to people who are starting their hometheater, to purchase a similar set!
Since dd/dts have all channels discrete, should the speakers also be identical. This is my humble opinion, but try it for yourself. Cause the Micros are inexpensive, there is money left to purchase a decent powered sub to create a solid ground for good home cinema experience. For this price it's a good deal. And if you want to move on to bigger speakers in the future, you can always use these in other places.
As an A/V-amplifier I use Sony Str-DB840 QS.

Similar Products Used: None
Stephen   Casual Listener [Feb 10, 2001]
Strength:

Price, size and performance

Passive Sub, lack of information available regarding the product, speaker wire clips

Great value! I had my mind set on purchasing a Bose AM15 system that would have run me about $1300. The decision was made and I was practically on my way to the store when I thought to do a little more reseach. I found these on Ubid and after reading the reviews on this site I took a chance and purchased them for $269, even though I had never listened to them. I thought, if they didn't sound good I'll put them in my den and then go buy the Bose.

I am glad to say that after watching 3 movies (Twister, Perfect Storm and Lethal Weapon 4)I made the correct decision. These speakers are definately in the same league as the Bose but cost $1000 less.

Here are some things I don't like about the system

1) The passive sub. Luckily, I kept my Polk PSW 150. If you buy this system, also buy a powered sub.
2) Speaker wire clips. I know this has been said in other reviews and when I read them I thought "how bad can it be?" Believe me it's bad. Wharfedale needs an engineer!

Similar Products Used: Polk surround sound system including RT 8, RT 3, CS225 and PSW150
Michael   Casual Listener [Oct 31, 2000]

Subwoofer is weak.

My first set of home theater speakers. Was nervous at first because never heard of brand before. After listening to them I was impressed. My brother who is a audio fanatic thought the sound quality was very good and the sub was weak. It didn't have much bass. So I ordered a 15" powered digital subwoofer from ubid, can't wait to get it. I gave overall rating a 4 because of weak sub.

john   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 24, 2002]
Strength:

Clear highs, solid mids, well matched system

poor connectors, week bass

Overall, this system performed above my expectations. Earlier reviewers complained about the pasive sub, and so do I, but if you have a powered sub, it can work to your advantage. I'm using both my powered sub and the wharf passive sub (bi-wired) in my setup. I too don't like the fact that have no control over the crossover, but after testing it out, it sounds solid. Since I've always used towers, I couldn't get used to using small fronts. I've crossed over my powered sub to 75 becasue it seems as if the passive sub has a difficult time picking up anything below 60. It sounds solid... not amazing, but very strong considering its price.

The connectors are junk... not question about it. What was Wharf thinking? you have to flat wires if you have anything higher that 16 gauge. Otherwise, I give it a 4.5, so I'll round up.

BTW-Don't waste your money buying a Bose system. I've listened to them extensively, and they are just about the most over-rated system out there.

Joshua Harris   Audiophile [Apr 04, 2001]

Sub, but for a smaller room...it isn't that bad

OK...I think I have broke them in. They sound great. If you are looking for a start for your HT...look no further...great value. I finally got my optical cable so my DTS and 5.1 now sound excellent!!!

Jurassic park was my first test with 5.1 surround and I could hear the screams of the raptors....the ground pounding with every step of the T-Rex.

SHOWING TONIGHT: U-571

Similar Products Used: Sony 545 reciever(mine doesn't hiss :P )
Paul   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 07, 2001]
Strength:

price, clear mids & highs, stable at high volume, very smooth transitions

wire clips "AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!" bass

After running all around the suburbs looking at many home theater speaker packages in the $600-$1000 price range I decided to take a chance on these unheard.
When I unpacked them & started hooking them up I was sure I had made a mistake. the grills are like cheesecloth & the terminals are to small to put a toothpick in, I have 12 gauge in wall wiring. So I changed all my connectors to flat pin style & still had a hard time fitting it all in, in fact the push clips broke off the satellite's when I pushed on them. Others have also complained about the brackets, I had no problems here. Maybe the others just dont know these speakers swivel on their base so the bracket doesn't need to.
Anyway hooked it all up to my harman/kardon AVR500 (also just got so I dont have a reference point from previous speakers on this reciever) I couldn't be more satisfied. Not exactly thrilled but very satisfied, the mids, highs & vocals are fantastic, as good as or better than everything else I heard. The bass is lacking & whats there is rather loose. But thats OK because most of the other systems I auditioned didn't even include a sub. So I bought a powered sub (also from ubid) & have my speaker set up for about $350 instead of $800 - $1200 (including sub, tax & shipping)
I spent the entire night auditioning different music & movies on these. they revealed details I haven't heard before, they were smooth clear & very responsive. I tried classical (pachelbel, vivaldi, mozart, tchiakovsky, beethoven, bach) jazz (ella fitzgerald, benny goodman, duke ellington) pop (lyle lovett, richard thompson, everclear, mighty mighty bosstones, metallica) They handled everything very well though didnt really pound you as well as I would like on some of the harder stuff, but this could just be the "clean" sound of the harman/kardon. When I tried out movies on DVD these things really excelled, voices were clear, imaging was precise & the ambient sounds completely filled the room. I selected scenes from the patriot, Mission impossible 2 & the matrix. in the patriot when mel gibson & sons ambush the british, it felt & sounded as if I were on the trail, I was literally on the edge of my seat. Also in the matrix when during the rescue scene with the helecopter - fantastic!
There are better speakers out there, but unless you're an audiophile & are operating on an unlimited budget get these you certainly wont be dissapointed, (once you get them hooked up & get over those fustrations)

Similar Products Used: Bose, Energy, Klipsch, Advent, Infinity (did not own these, just auditioned them in showrooms)
Joshua Harris   Audiophile [Mar 30, 2001]

OK. I just got my speakers yesterday and I am planning on buying a reciever tonight and getting it all hooked up. So far I am impressed. Everything is in one piece and looks very good. I will post a further review later when I have it all set up and working.

Chris B.   Casual Listener [Jun 23, 2000]
Strength:

Highs, Mid-Range, Top Notch center speaker, good front satellites. Speaker setup manual was well written and a nice plus.

Sub-woofer was unimpressive (and not amplified), do not like the "bi-wiring", cheap accesories.

I admit I was skeptical of these speakers when I decided to buy them on U-Bid. This is my first surround system and I was trying to spend less than $1500 and get decent quality. I'm not talking top of the line, but something that will last for a few years and give standard results. I believe that these speakers have fit the bill.

Starting with the front satellites, the sound quality is good. The highs are good and it provides plenty of midrange . They do an acceptable job of producing the front surround effects. I listened to many types of surround speakers and I believe they sound better than Bose or even the ones included in the Infinity RS-10. But hey - it could just be my ears. Remember, I bought these sound un-heard, and I was happy (and quite relieved!) with the results.

The center speaker is probably the best unit of the kit. It produces great dynamic range with the three speaker setup. This component really made me decide that my choice was correct. Sounds absolutely wonderful for a full range speaker. My only knock is a little more low-mid to low end range punch would be nice, but they are still breaking in.

The rear satellites are basically the same as the front satellites minus the tweaters, so some highs are missing. Again, do a more than acceptable job of providing ambient noises.

I must also say that I have not "bi-wired" these speakers. I have a JVC 888VBK receiver, and I prefer the control it gives me over this "bi-wiring" business.

I thought that the included home theater set-up book that was written by some Brit to be actually quite good. Nice touch.

Ok. Now the minuses.

Included Brackets: Absolute Trash. Wharfedale should be ashamed of itself for selling this non-adjustable junk. Do your self a favor and goto your local retailer or Crutchfield and buy a decent set of front stands and rear brackets. I purchased a set of generic black stands from Circuit City for $50 bucks and rear brackets from Best Buy for $30 bucks. Well worth the price.

Included wire: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I used this junk to tie trash bags with. Thin, cheap and not even channel identifier markings (left channel with a dash along it). Hey Wharfdale - if you read this.... don't embarass yourself anymore, just stop including it. I purchased a 50' roll of 14 guage Monster Cable. I just refuse to use that tiny wire. It is so crappy, when you strip it, half of the copper strands (what few there are) go with. Yuck.

Unpowered Subwoofer: Ok. I did not bi-wire this speaker. Out of my receiver, I have only one sub woofer channel (which, is not amplified on the JVC 888 ). So, I passed the signal through an external amplifier I had borrowed from a friend and split it out of the amplifier into the in terminals of the speaker. However, I found that each speaker in the sub has its own terminal (for the bi-wiring). So I was getting okay sound, but only one speaker was firing. I jumpered it over (hey, its all mono anyway) so both channels were firing off of one lead in. It sounds okay at low volumes, but the higher it goes, the sound quality goes away fast. But, I am attributing this to my "unique" setup. I bet bi-wiring will make it sound great, but I don't want to give up control of my sub out settings - bi-wiring runs the sub via the left/right front channel outputs (for those who don't know). I even think there are crossovers in the sub to split the signals out, but again - I want the receiver doing this, not some unchangeable sub. Also, the plastic port insert for the sub woofer was loose and rattling. A little glue took care of it. I will re-adress the subwoofer issue later in the year when I have time. I am really thinking about ditching the passive subwoofer included and getting a true, active (with amp) subwoofer if I can find one at a reasonable price. Also - If you read this Wharfdale - possibly put a single channel port for single wiring. Not all amps have left and right sub outs, and not everyone wants to bi-wire.

Overall, I would give these a five star for value and four stars for overall quality. I can overlook the cheap wire and brackets, but I admit I am disappointed with the sub-woofer. I will post an update when I figure it out and hopefully its just my set-up.

Similar Products Used: Listened to many speakers (in sound rooms and friends houses). However, this is the first set I have purchased.