Vienna Acoustics Mozart Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 04, 2012]
Alex
Audio Enthusiast

Amazing speakers. I decided to go with Mozart over B&W 803N.
I am so happy with my decision. I really enjoy those phenomenal speakers.

[May 09, 2009]
foodfeak
AudioPhile

I don’t ever post reviews, and to be honest this posting is leaning more to information to some one looking to buy these speakers with a low wattage tube amplifier. I was interested in buying these speakers, as I am very sensitive to higher frequencies, and have read how they are a bit warmer with no harshness compared to a lot of other speakers. My main amplification has a Croft power amp at the end of the chain, which runs at 25watts with an impedance of 8ohms. I also have a DIY power amp a White Noise Audio MOS250 at 250watts with 8ohms impedance, a very nice amp.

Now I came across an ex-demo pair of these speakers so I did a bit more research. Most of the information I found recommended using these speakers with a high wattage electronic amplifier as they were supposable very hard to drive. I asked the dealer about using them with the 25 Watt Croft, pointed him towards some of this information, and he told me they had run them on a 15 watt tube amplifier and there were no problems. He also asked me how big my room was and how loud I intended to play them, and said unless it is the size of a small barn and I was having a dance party that I would have no problems. I then contacted Croft (to make sure the dealer wasn’t just trying to get shot of a pair of speakers), and he said exactly the same – why would there be any problem unless again you are planning on playing them to very very loud levels?

I thought I would then contact one other person I knew; he is a much respected vintage tube equipment engineers here in the UK. I showed him the information, he laughed very loudly at some of what he read, and also said unless my room is very big and I wanted to play them at deafening levels I would have no problems driving these speakers with the Croft. One thing he did say was not to leave these speakers off my list because of the numbers as they are not law, and real playing conditions can be very different to what is down on paper.

So armed with all this information I decided to take the plunge. Having to get these speakers sent via the post there was no way I could audition them first. So the dealer said I could return them if there were any problems, but said he can guarantee they would be keepers.

Any way they arrived a few days back and I still have them. I can say 25 watts is more then enough to drive these speakers. I cannot turn the amp up to any were near full volume, as loudness would get to you before clipping or any other problems occur. People have mentioned bass handling with low wattage amps, but there is none with it being big, deep and controlled. Apart from the presentation there is no advantage between my 250watt solid state power amp and the 25watt Croft, both perform equally well.

As said a lot of reviews here have mentioned needing good powerful electronics, but maybe it is just down to amp’s not matching speaker and nothing to do with power. Also I wonder now how many people who mention needing powerful electronics to drive them have ever heard them with anything else to get a true opinion. May be there is just a general consensuses about these speakers that people feel they have to say because of one of the reviews you can find on line.

Any way these are very good speakers as mentioned in most of the reviews below. So do not be put off buying them if you own lower voltage tube amps, as you will be missing out on something really special. Very nice speakers!

[Jan 09, 2008]
Rafael Quintas
AudioPhile

Strength:

Mids and highs are very good
Perfect vocals

Not for moderate hi-fi equipment . Needs hi-end electronics

Very well balanced speaker. Mids and highs are very very good . Vocals and timbre very nice . Unbelievable imaging . You can compare it with any of B&W 700 series speaker.

B&W 603S3 , Sonus Faber Domus

[Aug 03, 2007]
txind76
Audio Enthusiast

Sure, I can help. BUY DECENT AMPLIFICATION. You can't get good performance out of good speakers with third-rate amplifiers, period. Either that or sell your good speakers and go to Circuit City and buy some nice $700 towers that will go with the amp you have.

The amp is not a trivial part of the system!! Good luck.

[Jun 21, 2007]
Marc
AudioPhile

Strength:

Even new i would consider them value for money.
Small enough for any room
Clarity and quality of sound is great for the money
Sound bigger than they look

take a bit of moving to create that wider sweet spot

ive been running these for about a week now and am blown away everytime i hear them!
i paid $1200 NZ for them second hand
i read every review on this site before purchasing them and was expecting to have to fill wth sand and make all sorts of acoustic changes to the room to tighten and increase the bass. i found that they have plenty of bottom end. the lows are no where near as "flabby" as others have stated. Infact i am impressed with how tight and acurate the sound of these speakers are.
i have been trying many genres of music through my setup to test placement and found they perform well with anything from jazz to dub.
i must say they really come into thier own with vocals, the clarity is amazing. i played the vocal onlny version of the beach boys' pet sounds, BRILLIANT!
some people have warned they were in need of goodpower behind them to open up.. im hitting them 70w a side and they sing!

[Jun 07, 2007]
Eric
AudioPhile

Strength:

clarity of sound
no electronic signature
soundstage

no booming bass, depending on your tastes, isn't all bad

These are a great speakers for the person wanting great detail and articulation of sound with just a bit of friendly warmth, far short of an overdriven midrange though. You really get just clear and precise image of what the music sounds like, without an added signature from the electronics.

As a few people before have mentioned - you NEED a very good amp to drive these 4ohm power suckers to let them sing. The top of the line Denon barely got there, rotel and anthem were straining - and I decided on getting a juicy 200 watt / channel McIntosh (MA6900) to actually get these speakers where they need to be. I'm very pleased with the outcome, and they're incredible on orchestral, small blues and jazz ensembles, and do a pretty good job on heavy metal. Go weak with the electronics and they'll sound like a cheap klipsch - don't make that mistake.
It's been brought up that the bass isn't booming, but I see this as a good thing, and moreover, there is no distortion of the bass (which is more important than loudness of the bass - to be able to actually hear the individual bass tones). If you need more bass, you can just turn it up on the equalizer on your receiver and the speakers respond wonderfully.

One of the greatest aspects of these speakers is the soundstage. The clarity of the sound I mentioned earlier is heightened by the wide, very precise, soundstage. I was considering getting a 5 channel surround setup, but except for sounds coming behind you - you get around 160 to 180 degrees of sound during movies and great "close your eyes and point to it" with CD's.

I've listened to BW, paradigm, boston, deftec, martin logan ,RC, and magnepans before buying the Viennas - with the last two being the closest competition (RC-80 had more bass than vienna, but not as clear of sound, maggies were very articulated but the sweet spot was so small and no bass / depth to sound). The mozarts, a slightly smaller Vienna also blew me away! The had more bass and a rich sound. To give you an idea - these speakers wwould have been in a close competition with the 10k+ each, 6ft tall mcintosh I heard in the store... if I had the money!

Similar Products Used:

BW, paradigm, boston, deftec, martin logan ,RC, and magnepans,
with the last two being the best

[Jun 22, 2006]
Chaaad
Audio Enthusiast

I've had these speakers for several months now and am still undecided. I bought a new stereo receiver (Outlaw RR2150) to drive them and while the sound is much better than with my outdated Sony receiver, I still think there is something missing at the bottom end. I've read about sand and/or shot being used to enhance the sound, but I can't find an entry point in the cabinet. I've also attempted to find an e-mail address for Vienna Acoustics but there web site doesn't seem to have Contact info. Can anyone help?

[May 08, 2006]
tsmithy
Casual Listener

Strength:

Increadably smooth, pleasurable from the mid range up with tight definition and control. Awsome detail, beautifull construction of the speaker box and not too big.

The bass is lacking but still there and what is there is very good.
I combined with a REL sub to cover the frequency down to 16HZ.

Not the right speaker if u like to play dance music and techno. I used to have a pair of cerwin vega that were better for that.

Previous setup1990's Musical Fidelity Setup MC4 Speaker, B200 Amp, not a bad setup at all.......

Current setup:-
Vienna Acoustics Mozart (Not bi wire version)
Krell KAV 300i
Sherwood Tema CD1 (yes its a Sherwood but they cost origionally 1500 Uk quid as a flag ship model which never took off even when reduced to 1100 UK pounds)
Gryphon Guildline II Balanced XLR Cables.
Classe CT10 High End Tuner.
REL Storm SUB.

These were on offer at half price. An absolute baragin.

The speakers make listening to high quality music such fun, you can hear the personality in each individual instrument, sounds fantastic with string instruments especially and vocals are very very smooth and emit increadable detail and emotion. The speakers are not harsh in any way or tiring. The speakers are so revealing of poorly recorded CD's that some magazine cover CD's I used to enjoy on my old Musical Fidelity system are now sounding very inferior to well recorded material. The difference was not possible to determine on my Musical Fidelity Setup prior to this.

My Tema CD1, CD player was reviewed and critiscised for being over engineered, highly detailedand removing the musical quality from a performance. However the warm sound of the Vienna's works very very well to produce a likebale sound of awsome detail, its especially good at low volume levels and very very pleasurable. I think these two match perfectly, the Krell KAV300i amp may help a little to:). A good amp to drive the speakers would be very very important.

Over all these speakers achiece there objective, to make listening to music pleasurable. Who can say for example whether or not a pink Floyd Cd sounds how it should sound, how should it sound? That depends on the amps and electronics they are using. There is no particualr way it should sound apart from pleasurable. Each time Pink Floyd perform it would sound different depending on their location and equipment. Get my point??? The Vienna make it sound like a live performance in my room and a pleasurable one with a really open sound stage. This is no exageration.

I am not a hifi expert but have blown a lot of money on my hifi and 1 month later its definatly worth it - especially happy with the speakers.

[May 23, 2004]
harryjmic
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent sound quality, easy to listen to, not fatiguing. Excellent detail, sweet sound and organic sounding.

The bass isn't as low as the jm's but in my room this appears to be a good thing. May not be enough bass, for some people. Needs very good electronics, skip the mega store receivers it will sound like crap. I will be adding a plinius integrated, and I can't wait to hear the difference.

This all started by my wife saying one day, "the magnapan 1.6qrs are nice but they are so big to bad they weren't smaller. Well every audio guy knows what that will do, so I began my quest for better but smaller speakers. Originally, I bought some jm lab 915 electras, now these are great speakers and they do have a lot going for them, but in my room I found that they were too much. I really like the sound of the jm labs but I can't give them the room they need, ie.. far enough from the walls. Earlier, I heard the Vienna Acoustic speakers and to be quite frank, I wasn't impressed. They sounded dead and bass heavy. So I wrote them off. Later, while looking at cd players in a local high end shop I heard the mozarts again this time with very good electronics and properly placed. The difference was night and day. Beautiful sound, very natural open and organic, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I got back home I listened to the jm labs again and couldn't tame the bass, they just resonate with my room to accentuate the mid to lower bass and make everything sound like a bass solo. For some reason I didn't notice this when I auditioned them, perhaps it was the initial excitement of new speakers. I decided since Tweeter was closing the Vienna line out, I had but little time to take a chance on the Mozarts before they were gone. I bought them, brought them home and set them up. The key is the electronics and the setup. The reason I think people say they sound dead is because if you don't till them back slightly you lose the treble energy. I set the speakers roughly 1/4" to 1/2" inch higher in the front than the back, this seemed to give some sparkle to the sound and added to the speakers depth and soundstage. From what I can tell you need excellent electronics and to work with the speakers positioning to obtain good results. I can't say these speakers are better than the jm labs but they work better in my room. I learned a good lesson with this purchase, and that is, don't always assume the largest speakers will be the best. It really seems to be all about matching components and rooms together.

Similar Products Used:

Magnapan 1.6 qr's, jm lab 915, I have also heard proac's(very nice) I just wanted to stay within a certain price point and the proacs were too much.

[Apr 16, 2003]
Tim Walker
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Smooth, detailed, "musical", natural, well controlled bass, a broad soundstage. They sound "right."

Limited listening window to keep image. Have to be mostly in the sweet spot.

I've listened to just about every popular audiophile speaker available (Audio Physic, B&W, Linn, JM Lab, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, etc)in my area over the past three weeks and I kept coming back to the Mozarts because they sound "right". Don't let the previous reviewer that rated this speaker a "2" color your impression of this speaker, it is far from soft or overly polite sounding. What I hear from the Mozart is clean, smooth, unexaggerated detail. The key word here is unexaggerated. The thing is, every speaker has its own character, some more distinct than others. Some are "forward", some "laid back". Some are hyper-detailed and analytical, letting you "hear all of the flaws" of you favorite recording--no thanks. Some are smooth, musical, detailed and natural. The Mozarts fall in the later four categories. Who in their right mind wouldn't like that? I'm guessing that the previous gentleman that reviewed these speakers owns or likes the sound of the Audio Physic and Joseph Audio speakers (he listed them in his comparisons). I read good things about the Audio Physic "Sparks" (they are in the same price range as the Mozarts) so I went and listened to them. They sounded very natural, they image well and they have good detail, with a decent stage size. However, the bass is wooly and indistinct down towards the bottom of the speaker's range, and that is something I can't live with. The Mozarts, on the other hand, posses all the positive qualities of the Sparks with the addition of tight, tuneful bass and a larger soundstage. What surprises me the most about the argument from the last reviewer is that he closes by saying, "If you want a speaker that simply avoids sounding harsh and edgy and will sound polite with all material the Mozarts could be your thing." So he likes harsh and edgy? He either listens to only audiophile grade recordings, which is awfully limiting, or he's a masochist. Listen to the Mozarts for yourself. There is a good reason why they are "by far the most frequently sold speaker in the store." And it's not because they sound soft.

Audio Physic, B&W, Linn, JM Lab, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, Wharfdale,