Vienna Acoustics Bach Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 15, 2017]
jdubble79
Audio Enthusiast

I've had the pleasure of owning three sets of Vienna Acoustics: Haydn (original), Haydn Grand (non-SE), and now the Bach (original). The first pair of Haydns I picked up from a Goodwill auction for $275. They sounded very sweet, especially with stringed instruments. Shortly after that, I also acquired a pair of Haydn Grands for $500. To be honest, I found the original Haydns to be superior in the midrange. The grands sounded a bit harsh at the top end and recessed in the midrange. Either way, both sets were black, and I really needed something in cherry or rosewood to match my system in our living room, so I ended up selling both, but I really missed the Haydns and I told myself i'd buy another set if i ever came across some in the right finish.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago: I got an excellent deal on a set of Bachs (essentially the tower version of the Haydn) in cherry finish. I paid $275 for them. Regrettably they arrived in need of new binding posts. When ordering binding posts, I decided to also order new capacitors since I'd be doing soldering work anyway.

In their original form, I found them to be very smooth and a bit on the warm side. They were replacing a gorgeous pair of Totem Rainmakers (bookshelf), which were a bit more detailed, sometimes more on the harsh side depending on the source. I loved the Rainmakers, but I loved the Bachs a bit more. However, I had been feeling that some detail was missing from the midrange. Certain vocals would sound a bit dull, while others were perfect; while this was a bit dependent on the source, i still feel it was more the speakers at certain frequencies.

Tonight I replaced the binding posts and the two caps in each speaker. Although the original caps were high quality, they're nearly 15 years old. I replaced them with very low, high-quality caps, a task that took less than five minutes for each speaker. After breaking them in for only 15 minutes, the result was remarkable. The slightly dull area seems to have disappeared, and vocals are now crisp, yet still smooth enough to not fatigue.

With these modifications, I can say they're definitely a pair I'll keep for quite some time. The bass is very deep, usually punchy, although sometimes boomy. I've yet to load the bottoms with the recommended 20 pounds of sand; if it does what they claim, i'll be in for quite a treat. As I said, the whole range is pretty smooth, very detailed, never fatiguing (unless played too loud in my face). Imaging seems better than the totems, and they disappear better.

The only thing I have left to do is refinish them; I plan to strip the cherry finish and re-veneer them in rosewood. With that, I may keep them for another 20 years. The only reason they get 4/5 stars overall is because I'm sure there are better speakers in the $2000+ range, but I've not heard them. These Bachs are better than my $1800 Focal 727Vs that I use in my home theater; in all fairness, they're better as HT speakers than the Bachs would likely be, while the Bachs are better for music.

For what it's worth, I'm driving these with my 168WPC Denon POA-1500mkII, pre-amped by the matching Denon PRA-1000, and sourced usually through my Schiit Bitfrost 4490 fed by a Sonos Connect and Tidal.

[Jul 03, 2015]
robert

Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand speakers in Piano White

The aspect of Bach’s mathematically precise compositions that demanded astoundingly inventive solutions to musical problems is fully evident in the Vienna Acoustics speaker that bears his name. Of note, the beautiful floor-standing cabinet features Twin Balanced Reflex (TBR) loading of the potent 7” X3P mid-bass driver. TBR combines a conventional rear port with a ground breaking airflow control port on the front of the cabinet allowing for class-leading bass output and control. Further, the complex front port system provides an extraordinarily compact driver configuration by positioning the refined 1” triple stacked silk dome tweeter directly in front of the port, contributing to a sonic presentation of power and verve that belies the speakers’ compact proportions. Achieving Mozart quality sound in a compact floor-standing enclosure, this diminutive two-way design joins an assembly for high fidelity that belies its size and price.

I purchased these a week ago or so, after not really listening to music for a long time. I was replacing a pair of Bang & Olufsen beolab8000s which look fantastic and do have some things going for them. However they just weren't doing " it " for me. Thus started my hunt. Initially I bought a pair of JMlabs which I found quite harsh and not particularly musical. GREAT imaging though. Wish the VA Bach's had similar. Them moved on to a pair of Kef R300. Fantastic imagining. Mono on them was fabulous, deep. Tonally very harsh and horrible tweeter. Just couldn't hear drums and cymbols correctly in them. Vocals had no emotion. Then came the VA Bach Grands.

As everyone says, no fatigue. Really easy speaker to listen to. Lovely detailed musical bass. Not too boomy. Don't need a sub. YAY.. If I had to describe their sound in one word, it would be cohesive. I just love the way everything just flows from them so musically. The JMLABS and especially the KEFS conveyed no emotion at all. I like a warm, organic sound.

Double bass sounds very woody, voice is amazing. Listening to Barbara Streisand on these in the store sealed the deal for me. No other speaker conveyed her nuances like these. AT the time I was auditioning the Mozart Grand SE and bought the Bachs off the net, not having heard them. My hunch was spot on. Tom jones sounds great, Dean Martin in MONO is fabulous. You get to hear the intricacies in each person's voice.

Sound stage is very nice, albeit a bit laid back. This changes with the electronics and cables used in the system. I am using a Dynavector power amp with a copper power cable. If I change to a silver cable the imaging totally changes. Things start to jump out and are very defined in their positioning, but a lot of the warm ambience goes missing. For me, the right cable in the right place in the system gives me what I want, and that's usually warmth.

The VA Bachs are plugged into my mac, via an EDIROL / ROLAND UA-4FX. It has tone controls on it and I would be lost without them. As some have said the VA's are very laid back and not bright. They do need a bit of tone control to add a touch of sparkle and detail. When added they really come to life. This has always been my taste and had to apply a tiny bit of treble gain in my previous sound system using the same power amp. On both occasions it did the trick. The silk tweeters take it nicely. One of my biggest gripes with the Kefs was how unrealistic cymbols sounded. Not so, on the VAs. They are so realistic without harshness. They just shimmer. Snare is great as are all toms, and especially kick. I love it when you can hear the tone of all drums and cymbols correctly.

In essence this is really a great speaker. I live in a small home unit and have to keep volume down. These are very detailed at low volume. Running a 180Wrms power amp so that obviously helps. Audioquest speaker cable and interlinks. Mostly copper, with one sliver coated cable in the link to give a touch of sparkle.

Initially on the floor, I found these speakers to loose imaging. I had them on stands off the floor by about 1foot. I loved this sound. I have always had my speakers slightly above ear level. For me it really adds a lot more dimension to the sound. Now they are sitting on a pair of ISOAcoustics iso.L8R155 isolating stands. These really did open up the sound big time. They decouple the speaker from the room. I have to place my speakers near the walls unfortunately due to lack of space, but they are handling it exceptionally well. The Kefs didn't. The JMLABS were front ported and handled it admirably.

Now I'm rediscovering my CD collection having ripped them all to FLAC files. Next will be upgrading to a twin DAC such as a rotel. Haven't heard one but I believe it can make a huge difference. So far, I'm very happy with the Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand speakers. They just make music without trying to impress. They get out of the way and allow the music to be experienced.

[Aug 22, 2008]
alif131
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Heavy and rich beautiful bass (not for kicking in your chest,but for a pleasent sensible midsize tight bass). Beautifully musically adjusted. Excellent chic cabinet and grills.

No Bi-Wiring
Some may need more bass reproduction in their large listening rooms.

I enjoy listening to them in my small bedroom in a back up system. They really seduce your ears as lovely as they catch your eyes. Quality wirings and a fine adjustment in their positionings are absolutely required.

Magnat, Totem, JBL, Paradigm, M Audio, B&W, Tannoy, Vandersteen

[Jun 16, 2008]
steve_price
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Spacious, natural sound ove the full range; attractive (to say the least) cabinets; modest footprint.

I had to put 20 pounds of sand into each speaker to get the bass nice and tight.

These are amazing speakers. Very wide, well defined sound stage. Midrange and high end are silky smooth and completely natural sounding, bass is deep, tight and never boomy. The Jamo Concert 7, the top of the Jamo line around 1990, sounded distant and almost muddy by comparison.

The cabinets are gorgeous, wife approves. Adding 20 pounds of sand to each speaker was a nuisance, but worth the effort - It really takes care of resonances.

Dahlquist DQ-10; Jamo Concert 7

[Dec 06, 2004]
pilot999
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great imaging, very nice sound, great cabinets, and small size.

The very low end.

I purchased these speakers from a dealer as demo units and have been extremely pleased with the build and the sound of the speaker. They truly create a pleasant listening experience. The imaging is excellent, the crossover is smooth and indetectable, and the high end is smooth. The only comlaint that I would have would be below 50hz. But, this is to be expected in a speaker with only a 7" bass driver. These are a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear port so one could control the level of bass depending on the placement in relationship to a rear wall. I use a small Velodyne sub-woofer crossed over at 50hz. It makes an awesome combination with a very natural and full sound. The cabinet work is very nice. I have the Beech cabinets and have filled the bottoms with a combination of sand and lead shot. I have listened to them for about 80 hours so far and have grown to love the sound. Over this last weekend I auditioned a pair of DynAudio T2.5 speakers. At $4,500 I was more pleased with my decision to buy the Vienna Acoustics.

[Dec 15, 2003]
Dennis
Audio Enthusiast

great sound stage. good bass especially with sand fill. clear and crisp through out ranges. Hours of enjoyment.

[Jan 20, 2003]
thedace
AudioPhile

Strength:

Warm and smooth with a naturalness that makes you listen.

Occasionally too sweet sounding. Tweeter problem recently developed

These speakers consistently amaze me with their warm, smooth balance and luxuriously deep and extended bass. Occasionally their balance sounds rather sweet but to be fair this promotes lengthly listening. They are are not the best with rock, especially those recordings with poor production values but do make it sound large and involving. Their dynamics and good soundstage transparancy can make classical sound eerily realistic, this is allied to natural, projected vocals. Unfortunately they have recently developed a tweeter sibliance problem but this will hopefully remedied soon.

JM Lab Chorus 710 Pro Ac Studio 125

[Sep 05, 2002]
David
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

midrange, highs, detailed, transparent

bass may be supplemented by a subwoofer for home theater purposes - not necessary for audio

wonderful speaker. warm detailed highs, compliments of a silk dome tweeter. able to handle bass with authority. the best audiophile speaker for the money.

paradigm reference, b&w, infinity, ...others

[Jul 04, 2002]
Mark
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

warm clear easy too listen too,beautiful cabinetry,good bass,great vocals

must be filled with sand

Picked up these bachs a few months ago,and im very happy with the performance,the silk dome tweeters are excellant,the bass is very good for a small floorstander,the build qaulity is impecable,i have them in black,there is not any listener fatigue with any vienna speakers,i had the entire klipch refrenca series before and they were just too loud,these bachs are a must audition if you really enjoy listening too jazz and blues,and apreciate fine craftsmanship.....

klipch rf3ii rs3ii rc3ii

[Mar 17, 2002]
jeff kiene
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

The Best of the entry level high end speaker

wish I had more money for the Bigger Brother

Just a few words to discribe this speaker: Warmth balanced High mid low excellent value Vocals are excellent Very easy to listen too. Rose wood is gorgous