Totem Acoustic Arro Floorstanding Speakers

Arro

2 way floorstanding

Dan Armstrong   AudioPhile [Jul 02, 2017]

I know Totem makes better speakers than the arro, but I love these. I have such a positive emotional reaction to these I don't even know where to begin.

I have had 3 pairs of them, on different amps, in different buildings. They are very special. They have a voice. they are crisp, and tight and they punch WAYYYYy above their weight class. I look at them and wonder how such deep bass sounds can come from a small cabinet. The small divers are deceiving - these little tiny tower speakers have got me kicked out of 3 condos, the bass they kick out is not to be diminished. Something about the size of the driver and the size of the cabinet has come together to create a unique product.

audiomaster   Audio Enthusiast [May 07, 2017]

I always wanted to have Totem Model 1, but the price was out of my budget, finally had the opp to buy them used at a reasonable price. I brought them home, plugged them in, and after an hour of listening, I felt they were highly fatigue sounding.

Something is wrong, I mean Model 1 is highly praised by so many, professional audio reviewers and customers, they can't be that bad.
So I took them to a Totem dealer, they plugged them in, sure enough when the music came on, and to my ears, that high fatigue factor remained, Model ones have great bass, and highs, but it's mid range was all congested, which lead to making it sound fatigue.

I then asked them to plugged in Totem Staff, the music thru Staff was superb, they were playing the Cars "Let the Good Times Roll" and it sounded like as if we were in a recording studio. Really enjoyed that, but at the same time I felt that they might not be suitable for long term listening for I felt there was just a bit of extra energy in their highs.

Then I asked for The Arrows, do not be fooled by their appearance, the music comes on and YES, yeah man, that is the kind of sound I am looking for, super super nice, and warm, Rick Ocasek sounded as if they plugged in a better microphone for him, cause now his voice sounded very natural and direct.

The Arrows are perfect for long term listening, do not cause listening fatigue at all. And they are not fussy about where you place them.
I could not be happier, highly recommended.

Shawn   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 05, 2010]

A fantastic, very accurate , detailed and fast speaker . Vocals , clarity , speed , imaging and range further support my decision to invest in these speakers . Build quality that exceeds all at this price point ( 1550.00 CDN ) .

I have owned now for a couple weeks and break in i feel has come close to complete . They do indeed improve over time in the initial break in period , this being the 80-100 hours range .

These speakers play , perhaps sing , so well . I play a wide range of music through my hifi and the Arro's do wonders with it all . Im hearing some new detail . Bass is not heavy handed , a 4.5" driver is only capable of so much , but the lower frequencies are tight , controlled , and fast -- percussion comes alive and sounds live . Vocals are moving . Instrumental , orchestral , choral , electronic , accoustical acts play with almost spooky image and depth . My listening room feels and sounds like a whole new enviornment , and its perfect.

Bi-wired from a Moon I-1 integrated , and source cd player Moon I-1 cd , the Arro's are right at home i feel with a great synergy and power- clarity and cd player detail . The Arro's require a solid ability from the amplification side . Clean abundant power .

Highly recommended . Finish , musicality , imaging , detail and price point put the Arro's far ahead of speaker products that are perhaps double in price/budget.

Looking forward to many years of enjoyment .

MrT   AudioPhile [Mar 15, 2010]

I have for quite a long time been searching for a fast and clean sounding small floorstander that has excellent separation, 3D and an extremely detailed high end. I listen to pop, indie, jazz and some cassical music. Bought and sold quite a few speakers in the same price range over the last years (Epos, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Elac, Canton, Carlsson, NHT, Acoustic Energy, Spendor, Dali - to name a few). None of them posessed all of the above characteristics (closest came Carlsson OA-58 and Dali Ikon 2 though), and I consequently always felt something was missing. I did't really have great expectations for the Arro's, but when I hooked them up to my Densen amp I immediately knew I struck gold. The sound is transparent and the separation/instrumentation is extreme. Low end is also impressive given the size. Powered by the right amp that needs to be pretty powerful (at least 70 wpc - 30 ampere) and not too bright sounding the Totem Arro is simply sublime sounding. I finally found the speakers I've been searching for. I strongly recommend Totem Arro!

Shomi   Casual Listener [Apr 16, 2009]

These were the speaker someone easy can fall in love with, happened to me, so i went, and i got them. First impression in my home, is these speakers rock, most is true what people like about them. What i didnt payed attention in reviews, is that they are bright. Didnt notice in first, didnt notice in store, but it started to be annoying. Someone here mentioned its about sibilants, if they are in record they will be there, its ok, i can hear sibilants in headphones too, just with arros, they sound HARSH.
So many reviews and nobody mentiones this brightnes in tone, how come? Do u not hear it or u like speakers that way?
Now, i just listened them for 2 days, so basicaly not even 10 hours of music, burnin time is 100-150 but i am afraid it will not soften high notes even then. What kind of improvement in sound happens after that time? Should i wait to see will it soften, or should i try with cables? I have NAD c350, will i must buy some warm amplifier like arcam or unico?
I have them biwired now, will try these days mono, with different options of connecting like they say in faq, just i think that wont help with brightness either.
I really love these speakers, but i must rate them with 3 cause of to much brightness in tone, if it improves in time, i will correct this mark, but i am afraid it will not happen.

fresco   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 06, 2007]
Strength:

Nice slim design. Sound sweet and revealing. excellent for small room. $700 used is a very good deal

A bit lack of bass but Still OK and I dont need sub.

This arro has a sweet, detailed and relaxing sound. It is so detail and revealing that certain sound that cannot be heard by big spekaers can be heard by arro. It is small and easy to move. That is why I like arro.

Listen to Norah Jones and Diana Krall music with arro and you will know why this tiny floorstander is amazing. I am driving it by jolida 202 using the zhuguang el34 tubes. The sound is very very clear and detailed when I used the zhuguang el34 but It is lack of bass though probably due to the jolida 202. But I think it will sound a lot better with the BAT vk-60 tube amp.

Similar Products Used: Snell, sonus faber, jolida202, bat vk60, arragon 8008, acurus a250, acurus preamp, musical fidelity a3cr preamp, maranz cd, rotel cd.
ARTU9R   AudioPhile [Nov 12, 2007]
Strength:

EVERYTHING
CHERRY COLOR OPTION
LOOK
PERSONALITY
MUSICALITY
SOUNDSTAGE
PERFECTIONISM

PLINTH(BASE) FIX TO CABINET
WOULD WISH FOR WBT SPEAKER POSTS(LIKE IN HAWKS)
BIGGER MASS LOADING CHAMBER

I BEEN ALWAYS A BIG FAN OF MUSIC I ALWAYS BEEN INTO AUDIOPHILE EQUIPMENT SINCE I AM PROUD CANADIAN(LIVING IN BEAUTIFUL QUEBEC) AND
I LOVE CANADIAN PRODUCTS AND REAL CANADIAN QUALITY
I HAD PARADIGM FOR LON LONG TOO LONG TIME I HAD MONITORS 9 STUDIO 40
ALWAYS MATCHED WITH ANTHEM STUFF ALSO BUT MY INTEREST WAS
POINTING TOWARDS MY NEIGHBORHOOD COMPANY FROM MONTREAL
TOTEM ACOUSTIC SO I STARTED LISTENING TOTEMS FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS
FIRST I ALWAYS LIKED TOTEM HAWK'S BUT THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO
LAST MONTH I WAS REALLY BUSY LISTENING AL POSSIBLE MODELS AVAILABLE AT MY FRINDLY BOUTIQUE ELECTRONIQUE
HAWK STAFF MODEL 1 FOREST MITE ALL OF THEM I PUT TO TEST AGAINST

MERLIN CHOPIN 0.6M INTERCONNECT
MERLIN BLACK WIDOW 2M X 2 AC POWER CORDS
TOTEM TRESS SPEAKER BIWIRE SELFMADE WITH MERLIN BANANA PLUGS
ACOUSTIC RESEARCH POWER BAR WITH AC CONDITIONER

ARRO NOW ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDING I FILLED THEM WITH SILICA SAND 12LBS EACH CABINET
BURN IN TIME PASSED NOW SO I CAN FREELY ENJOY ALL WHAT IS BEST IN MUSIC-WARMTH SUPERB DETAILED BASS WITH VERY SURPRISING LOW EXTENSION SUPER NATURAL 3D IMAGING(GUYS PLEASE TAKE TIME TO BIWIRE THESE BABIES) VERY SWEET HIGHS NATURAL SOUNDING INSTRUMENTS
I WAS LISTENING SOME OF MY CDS I WAS SURPRISE EACH TIME
SANTANA SUPERNATURAL JUST YELS FOR WORSHIP AND THAT GUITAR
IT ALMOST FELT LIKE CARLOS WAS PLAYING IN THE SAME ROOM
UFFF SOME KIND OF ORGASMIC FEEL
ANNA MARIA JOPEK AND HER ALBUM SECRET SOUNDED FROM OTHER PLANET
THAT GIRL HAS A VOICE OF ANGELS!!!
PINK FLOYDS LIVE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SWEET DETAILED PRECISE AND
ORIGINAL

AFTER 1 MONTH OF LISTENING I DARE TO SAY I FOUND MY SOUND
I FOUND MY SPEAKERS AND MY EQUIPMENT
I HATE TO SAY BUT ALWAYS TRY YOUR SPEAKERS AT HOME
WITH PROPER ELECTRONICS IF POSSIBLE
AND JUST TO BE FAIR ARRO SOUNDED MUCH BETTER THAN HAWKS AND FOREST HAD MORE MUSICALITY AND PERSONALITY
I HAD SIMILAR SOUND ON FOREST COMPARING THEM TO MY MONITOR'S 9 V.2
I LIKED HAWKS BUT AGAIN BASS WAS LURKIN EVERYWHERE I DID NOT SEE TRANSPARENCY AND IMAGING AS W/ARRO'S

CONCLUSION: DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE PRICE-MAKE WISE CHOICES
LISTEN TO WHAT YOU LIKE AND COMPARE ON SAME LEVEL

TOTEM STAFF
PARADIGM MONITOR 9 V.2
PARADIGM REFERENCE STUDIO 40 V.2
jas75   AudioPhile [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Depth, width of soundstage. Palpable sound, satisfying bass. Small size requires less floor space.

A bit tricky to set up on carpet because of small footprint.

At the 2006 Los Angeles High End Show I headed right to the Totem room to listen to the Totem Ones. I've read so many positive accolades about them that I had to listen for myself. However, when I arrived at Totem, the Arros were being demonstrated by their designer, Vince Bruzzese, so I stayed and immediately became enchanted and dumbstruck by the palpability and spaciousness of these little speakers. I greatly preferred the Arros to all but the most expensive speakers at the 2006 show. I did listen to the Totem ones, but left the room knowing that I would be buying the Arros.

I bought a pair of Arros and have them installed 8' apart, sleightly toed in and approximately 20" out from the wall behind them. Distance from the side walls is approximately 4 1/2 ' and the seating area is about 8 1/2 ' from the speaker line. Totem recommends placing the speakers somewhat closer together directed straight out into the room, but after listening to them that way for a month I placed them as noted and got a more satisfying soundstage. The sound is lean, when 'lean' is what is on the recorded material, and rich when the source is rich. I hear the 'edges' of the sound without exaggerated sibilants and I suffer no listener weariness. Bass is deep, realistic, and without overhang. These speakers should probably be used in small to moderately sized rooms. In my room they will provide lease-breaking levels without breaking up.

Because I already own an Audiosource 10", 100 watt, down-firing subwoofer , I added it to the system two weeks after listening to the Arros by themselves. I wanted to see if it made a difference. Crossed over at 70 cycles the difference is sleight. If I didn't already own a sub-woofer I wouldn't run out to buy one. These
speakers don't need it. My current amplifier is a NAD 350, sixty watt Integrated unit. My CD is a $300 Marantz CD5001 single disc player. I use inexpensive 14 gauge stranded speaker wire and inexpensive Radio Shack interconnect cable. I 've previously used more expensive designer cables and never heard an improvement or difference.

I'd like to articulate exactly what it is that makes these speakers so endearing to me, but it's elusive.. I have owned, AR-3as, Original Advents, Magnepans, NHTs and others, and while they all pleased me in one way or another, none radiated magic like the Arros.

Who should listen to them? Anybody who hasn't heard them. Even if you own more expensive speakers and systems. They have to be heard to be believed!

Customer Service

N/A: Demo gear

Similar Products Used: As listed above.
Bonger   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 21, 2006]
Strength:

most of you already know: wide soundage, excellent imaging, accurate tonality (excellent for reproducing voices & instruments). Not many speakers in the price range can outperform these little guys. Asthetics, compact design. wide following hence keeps it price well

lacks the deepest bass notes, doesn't play ultra loud but reasonable loud. needs really good equipment to truly get the fullest potential from speaker. not easy to drive because of 4 ohms.

Upgraded to the Totem Sttaf's a few days ago to which I can make a comparison of the Arro's to.

Well, first of all I miss the Arros already...why? Because these speakers just sound so accurate. With the right equipment, voices & instruments sound almost lifelike. These speakers have been with me for years through several amp & CD player upgrades and the Arros have always kept up.

The sound:
Speakers excel at jazz, acoustics, classical, vocals because the small 4" drivers that has the agility to accurately reproduce the music. Passable for rock & pop as it does lack the "energy", loudness of speakers with bigger cabinets. Though bass is not deep, it is relatively good and most of all rhymic sounding to keep your toes tapping.

If I were to compared the Arros to a steak, it would be a good sized tenderloin. Most people eating this ultra high quality steak if cooked properly would be totally satisifed and not crave any more meat. For those who want even more meat maybe get the Tbones or porterhouse of speakers like the hawks or forrests (bigger, deeper & louder, but it maybe be at the expense & not necessarily more accurate sounding).

I finally upgraded to the Sttafs because I did want a fuller sounding speaker and so far dare not say the Sttaf's are better sounding just different...but I don't want to judge the Sttaf's until I've spent some quality time evaluating the speakers.

Finally, on value, definetely 5 stars. Speakere were purchased for $950 new 3 years ago and I recently sold them for $725.

Catch22   AudioPhile [Jan 01, 2006]
Strength:

Soundstaging, width, depth, height. Detailed, articulate and relatively accurate without being overly analytical. Generous bass down to 45hz with a small footprint.

Not an ideal speaker for somebody who likes all types of music and demands equally good performance with each.

The short review is that the Arros are not for everybody, but are rather stunning under the right conditions. I purchased these to be used in a small listening room 11x13, that also serves as a home office and partnered them with entry level, audiophile quality electronics and cables. These speakers are replacing psb 400i monitors, with near term plans of upgrading the other components within the system. I bought the speakers as dealer demos, though the rather lengthy break-in period suggests they weren't recently being used or were never fully broken-in. Right out of the box the speakers sounded rather laid back, thin and lacking in dynamics, though they did immediately produce a stunning soundstage in width, depth and height. After 1 week of continuous current, 24/7, and various placement positions (the small room prevented any drastic changes in positioning) I found the ideal location in my room to be an equal difference of 28 inches from the rear and side walls. Normally, this isn't an ideal location for speakers and can excite room standing waves, however in the case of the Arros, they needed the bass reinforcement to produce a fuller tonal balance while maintaing their greatest strength...soundstaging depth. I listened to various types of music, some recorded superbly while others were very average. The Arros can enhance spatial and ambience cues that are present in the recording to levels that make you forget you are listeing to recorded music. This was taken to mind boggling levels with classical music of all kinds. The Arro's natural laid back balance adds depth that seems to penetrate the rear wall and can easily surpass the side walls of my small room. Rock music of average recording didn't fare as well with the Arros. The laid back nature coupled with the 4 1/2 driver simply couldn't produce the kind of visceral impact that requires more air to be moving like you would find with larger drivers. I didn't find this to be a deal breaker, but for those who demand that feeling of air penetrating your body during many rock recordings, you may very well find this a fatal shortcoming with the Arro. Another aspect of concern for many people would be the Arro's lack of inner structure with various notes. They have razor sharp leading and trailing transients with a high degree of space and air that seems to linger and float, but the inner structure of the notes can be less well rendered giving a somewhat bleached presentation. I found this bothersome only with the piano and even then, only within a narrow range. Still, piano lovers might not be able to overlook this character and this does seem to be present to a much lesser degree with other instruments. I think it fair to assume that better than entry level electronics and greater flexibility than my room would allow could eleviate this concern, though I still do not believe that Rock, Pop and average recordings will play toward this speaker's strengths and will pronounce in greater degree their shortcomings. Finally, the Arros enjoy moderate to low volumes and run into trouble above 93db. With many recordings, I had no problems producing well above this level, but on Steve Winwood's latest release, About Time, track 4 (Why Can't We Live Together) caused the driver to bottom out at about 95db. This recording is quite dynamic and heavy in percussions...the Arro gave up and more sane volume had to be entered. All in all, those with tastes that lean much further toward classical, acoustic and fine recordings than they do toward rock and pop, and that listen at sane levels would probably find the outstanding strengths of the Arro to be the almost perfect speaker. Small, detailed and resolving, generous bass down to 45hz with accuracy and a soundstage that will blow past the walls. I should also mention that at no time while listening to classical music did I find myself even aware of the speakers and never once felt that any instrument was rendered in any way less than exceptional. This goes from the deepest organ to the shimmering cymbals. They all sounded believable and real with superb texture and depth. I think some of the previous concerns regarding brightness might be slightly exagerated, though I did find the Arros to be unforgiving of siblants present in the recording. If it was there, it was communicated clearly with the Arros. This was true with just about any flaws in the recording. These speakers are clearly revealing in nature. I'm keeping mine...and I'm listening to much more classical music than I ever thought I would.