Technics SB-CR77 Floorstanding Speakers

SB-CR77

3-way, 3 speaker bass reflex, 15" woofer, 2" tweeter, 4" midrange, can handle up to 200W

Jim K   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 02, 2017]

I thought they came with 10", 12" and 15". I got the 12" back in 1992 along with
a Kenwood receiver model: KR-A5040.
I feel you can't go to someones house and listen to their speakers, then make judgement without knowing a lot of info. The acoustics of the room (you know all the variables). The receiver or amp. The wire used. Etc. And if the placement is wrong, you can't really move them.
I never turn any common system up past 75%. It will just clip, but before the point you can hear it. This overheats the speaker coil and warps it. The SB-CR77 has internal protection with auto reset.
I was listening to new vinyl. Rush, Moving pictures, Red Barchetta. I was 7 feet away and felt the breeze from the ports.
I like them so much I bought a second set.

Marty   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 30, 2017]

Oh dear, I don't enjoy negative comments on products. Especially with so many positive ones here. A good friend of mine invited me over to "check out" these speakers, the Technics SB-cr77's. He kept insisting they had 15" woofers. They are 12". He bragged about great bass and treble, but I didn't hear it. Look, with a 12" woofer (vented) in a box 28.5" X 15" X 10.5" the bass SHOULD be very good. They're boomy. No low frequency heft or foundation. A 2" tweeter is not conducive to great dispersion. The cr77's are rated for 200watts but I wouldn't push it. My friend had a 75wpc receiver and the speakers suffered acoustic traffic jam as the volume was raised. These are not BAD speakers. You might still like the old "west coast sound". If you want really good inexpensive (cheap) sound? Seek out a pair of EPI-100's. They will blow these things away, no lie. I apologize for any hurt feelings. I don't know the model year of these speakers.

oli   Audio Enthusiast [May 27, 2012]

Tiene un bajo agradable mas no es subwoofer.

Lee   Casual Listener [Jun 05, 2002]
Strength:

great price

woofer cuts out at 75% volume

these speakers sound good and produce descent bass untill high volume.the woofer cuts out at 75% volume. my old speakers did sound better when turned up high.

Similar Products Used: 100w mitsubshi
Brian Stockton   Casual Listener [Apr 14, 2002]
Strength:

Price, sound for the money

Spring clip connectors

Just got theses speakers and pushing the with a Yamaha htr 5540 and they give good bass response but highs are a might bit piercing. Then again most of the music I listen to is analog recorded cd''s like hendrix and such

Similar Products Used: Older Technics, SWR, Marshall, Fender, Community
jasonv1234   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2002]
Strength:

Good looking, sounding speakers!

After reading these reviews before I bought them, they all said tons of bass, but mine do not have all that much.

My speakers are the Technics with the 15''s. I think that for the price I paid, the speakers really are pretty good. Of course, there is much better products out there, but for the money.....

Similar Products Used: KLH"horrible"
Milton Saurina   AudioPhile [Feb 17, 2002]
Strength:

Buenos graves y aspecto excelente.

Precio muy alto en Uruguay

Me parecen un buen par de parlantes para escuchar musica a volumen alto. No distorciona el sonido y aguanta bien los graves.

Similar Products Used: Aiwa, Sony, JBL, Sharp
James jones   Casual Listener [Feb 09, 2002]
Strength:

The price, the sound

the cabinet is made of cheap wood but you get what you pay for.

First of all, the sb-cr77 are the speakers with the 12 inch woofers, not the 15 inch, those are the sb-cr99k. These speakers, for the price is unbelievable! They have good, clear sounding highs and low window shaking bass. When i bought them at first they didn''t sound that well, but after listening to them and insulating tem they now sound great.

Similar Products Used: Technics sb-cr99k (huge bass, not so good sound)
Steve D   AudioPhile [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, Good Value, Nice appearance and size, Bass packs a nice little punch. Speakers can easily be relaced if needed.

Speaker wire terminal springs are very tight (strange). Probably won''t get monster cable in but monster cable would probably cost more than the speakers anyway.

Big sound for the price. Priced at $150.00 for the pair you really can''t go wrong for 15" speakers. Bass, Mid and highs sounded good. If you are looking for exceptional sound then just invest over time. I would not pay too much more because of the other better and simular types available for around $300.00.

Michael J. Wright   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

A lot of speaker for the dollar. Nice deep base good mid's and high's.

Needs a lot of power to sound good. Can not use 12 guage speaker cable.

Most important, if you do not have a high output receiver or amp (At least 100 watts per channel)you will not like them. They do not sound good at all.I have two pair hooked in parallel and drive them with an older Pioneer sx-1250. Output is 160 watts at 8 ohm's and 220 at 4 ohm's. Running the receiver at 4 ohm's really makes these speakers work well. They do not sound as good as my Infinity sm-225's or my Polk RT-2000's. But none the less, for a set of speakers under $200.00 I do not think you can do any better.