Tandberg Studio Monitor Floorstanding Speakers

Studio Monitor

Yen Chen   Casual Listener [Dec 17, 2012]

I have owned this classic vantage pair of speakers for more than 20 years. It's a shame for
me not using it as much I should. I sincerely hope some music lover can own and enjoy it.
Please contact raychingchen@gmail.com

Jeremy Carroll   AudioPhile [May 04, 2012]

I run a mastering studio and I use these every day as my main monitors, producing commercial albums for CD release. I paid £750 for my pair in very good condition. It's a shame the tweeters aren't mirrored (i.e a dedicated left and right design), however the stereo field placement is extraordinary.

If I had to replace them with their modern equivalent, I would expect to have to pay somewhere in the region of £5000. I think that says it all.

alibaba   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 15, 2006]
Strength:

real sound

rare, hard to find,

collector must have it

Oyvind Isachsen   Casual Listener [Mar 20, 2003]
Strength:

Responce, bass, 3d (when set up right). looks

None

The Tandberg studio monitor is "the speaker" The speakers "tell" you that there has not been so much evolution on the speaker front. I did buy these speakers in 1984 ihave tried many others but still no one beats my TML 3005 I used a Tandberg TIA 3012 for many years, but in the DVD world we live in now they work WELL with A HK 7500 surr reciever 5x110/8 ohms

Similar Products Used: Rauna Njard
Karel Post   AudioPhile [Mar 21, 2002]
Strength:

Very good speaker to mixdown acoustic music in a studio, more than powerful to recreate the transients in modern dance / techno music. Superb low and high frequencies, overall low distortion, but especially on loud high frequencies. I haven´t been able to overload it so far, what DID happen to my ears... A fine speaker to listen to your amplifier when it hits rock bottom due to lack of more power, the Tandberg seldom sweats on loud audio. It´s a giant.

Standing in a normal room (livingroom) the sublow loses somewhat and 250Hz gets a little enhanced, placement is crucial. 3D positioning and depth is only truly achieveable with a powerful amplifier. I use a Luxman SQ507 (build date 1969..)on the pair in the studio, they sound super together, and a Marantz in my livingroom. The marantz has to go... it´s not powerful enough for the Tandbergs there (yes, i have 2 pairs). But it was helpful to find the 3D weaknesses in the Studio Monitor, because there are so few to be discovered.....

Powerful, warm and able to be a reference-class A-monitor in medium-sized musicstudio or large broadcast controlroom. Provided it is built into a non-reflecting, dampened wall. This gives the speaker a much better bass response and enhances the lows to 25 Hz making it more linear in it´s overall frequency response, which is very, very flat by the way. Pictures and complete info (the original folder) can be viewed at: http://cybermax.tmfweb.nl/tandberg/studiomonitor.htm

Similar Products Used: Klein & Hummel OY studiospeakers, Tannoy PBM 6.5, Yamaha NS 10, HECO Interior
pipo de clown   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 19, 1999]
Strength:

I agree every letter of the former review. I own this speakers for more than 20 years and I have never felt the need to replace them. They are super

they have a low WAF (Women's apraisal factor) because they are big.

very good

Laurens van de Weg   an Audiophile [Jun 21, 1998]

As a speakercollector I own: 4 pairs of B&W, 2 pairs of Rogers, 1 pair of The Melior Museatex one. So as I was always waiting for a new bargain at the Audio/video shop were I'm working partime (I'm still a student) I found found a pair of Tandberg loudspeakers.

The Tandberg studio monitor

This speaker is amazing !!!

It is around 25 years old, but it defeats speakers at around $ 4500 !
If you give these speakers the right amplifier (In this case Sphinx) the will sound very open with lots of detail and a very well defined low end. The low end stops around 25-30 Hz. (Depending on the setup)

They also defeat the new JBL gold monitors which has been reissued.

If you find these speakers (they look like boomboxes) be carefull and try to get them. I bought mine for $400 !!

I'm sorry I can't give 6 stars otherwise I would have given 6 stars !

Tzvetan Kamenarski   Casual Listener [Aug 07, 2000]
Strength:

Exelent base, briliant soft highs and mids, The huge 80 Liter box produced smooth and tight base as low as 30 Hz

Sence my dad was a Hi Fi type, I 've been listening to speakers sence age of 5. The sweetest speaker i ever hear so far is the Tandberg Studio Monitor. IT is a classic with a lots of class.