Sony SSM F500H Floorstanding Speakers

SSM F500H

Get the most out of your music with Sony's SSM-F500H 3-Way 4-Speaker System. Exploding with superb sound this system includes a 3-way, 4-driver floor-standing speaker, Dual 6-1/2-inch woofers with Highly Oriented Polyolefine (HOP) cones to minimize distortion, and a 3-inch H.O.P. midrange drive unit. Also featuring a 1"" Nano-Fine Balanced Dome tweeter, and Bass Reflex enclosure, this system rocks 200 watts of maximum power handling. So get ready to roll.

Howard   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 20, 2011]

I inherited these towers from my brother and WOW! I can't believe Sony's price point on these! With a powered sub these speakers have been the reason for hopping dance parties, killer movie nights and amazing music jam sessions. I have loved every minute of owning them. The only downside would be that they are big... but what decent floor speaker isn't?!

I would recommend these or similar newer models for any audio enthusiast with a budget!

Markson Spencer   Casual Listener [Nov 19, 2003]
Strength:

The speakers are fine for the price

The tweeters are simply cosmetic

My original review of this speaker was removed with no explanation. Let me reiterate that although the speakers are fine for the price, that there is practically no useful output from the tweeters - all the highs are coming from the midrange. This is true for the model SSM F400H too (which I set up for a friend). No, I did not burn out the tweeters - in these or any other speakers I have owned. This is not to say that the speakers produce no highs; the extreme highs are simply somewhat muted and this may even be aggreable to some listeners.

Similar Products Used: Infinity Monitor Jr. Allison AL120 Axiom 3Ti
GaToy   AudioPhile [Sep 18, 2003]
Strength:

Good clean sound. Can easily hang with speakers that cost more. $160 a pair. Do I need to say more?

Highs get a little harsh. But remember the price.

In a word "wow". These speakers are awsome. I originally bought them to run second audio in my bedroom. That project has been lagging so just out of curiosity I replaced my mains with them in my home theater. I loved the way they sounded in the store. But once I hooked them up to my reciever I was amazed. I mean, yeah there are alot of speakers out there that would blow these out of the water. But you have to keep the price in mind. I don't know of any speakers that could hang with these in this price range. Also the speakers look great given the same reason. "PRICE". Anyone trying to compare these speakers to high end audio doesn't know that much about home theater. Or high end electronics. That would be like comparing my Sony STR-DA7ES to one of the home theater in a box recievers. You just can't. I am very happy with them and as soon as I finish changing out my Cerwin Vega surround system for Mirage, they will deffinetly be going in my room.

Similar Products Used: Cerwin vega
John N   AudioPhile [Feb 21, 2003]
Strength:

COST, Flashy looks, multiple low end drivers, midrange power is respectable, fairly accurate, loud, rubber surround on the woofers, which are surprisingly competent, banana plugs, ridgid box construction.

Cheap feeling rubber surround, VERY cheap dust caps on the woofers, high end power is lacking a little bit, has trouble hitting very very deep bass

Excellent speakers for the cost. They look flashy and expensive when they really aren't. The sound is impressive considering the circumstances.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm speakers, Advent baby boomers & other advent products, Aiwa shelf systems, Pioneer shelf systems.
renski   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

really loud.

to big :)

These are great speakers and very underpriced for floor speakers. Anyone who says they don't have enough bass isn't driving them hard enough. You get a decent amp on these speakers and drive them hard enough they WILL give out some nice bass.

dwayne   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 19, 2002]
Strength:

Great clarity,excellent highs and lows, and an affordable price.

I personally havent found any yet.

These speakers rock!! I have a sony de685 reciever pushing these babies,and my mom complains im knocking pictures off the wall two rooms down from mine.

Halon_X   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2002]
Strength:

Superb high frequency. Solid soundtrack reproduction of music and sound efects for videogames, movies and movies (if you set them and wire them properly). Cool price tag.

None. If you set them properly of course!

I bought these babies in Sears, because I want a pair of floor standing, instead of satellites in the main speakers area. These towers rock! I have them connected to a STR-K502P receiver (the one that comes with the Sony satellite speaker package 800W) and a pair of Monster Cables. I put on my Ottmar Liebert CD, and you can hear every string because of its superb tweeter. The soundtrack and sound effects in movies and videogames are great! I can rest assured with these speakers!! I reccomend to put the LFE to the subwoofer (set the speakers to small if you have a Sony Receiver) so you can enjoy the high level of detail these babies can offer for a cool price tag.

Similar Products Used: Technics, Bose
Spencer Markson   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2002]
Strength:

Sound quality vs price

As noted by another reviewer - a highly reticent tweeter.

These are remarkable speakers for the price and give good justice to most of the audio frequency range. I don''t really find them deficient in the bass region as some other reviewers, but the treble is another matter. The tweeter seems to have almost no output. Brushed cymbals on Gerry Mulligan''s Night Lights practically disappear and the sleigh bells on Delius''s Sleigh Ride seem a couple of extra hills away. Even FM interstation hiss is hardly discernable from them with your ear up against the grill. The midrange driver seems to be picking up some of the slack; I notice that one reviewer refers to an occational tinnyness. This is the only reservation I have in an otherwise excellent-for-the-price product.

Similar Products Used: Allison AL-120
Tom Tweed   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 27, 2001]
Strength:

very good looking, sound great, tremendous price ($129 for the pair)

midrange sounds a little tinny at times, especially at high volumes

I wanted a speaker system to go with my new Kenwood VR-509 receiver that would express Dolby Pro Logic II, and I was on a budget. I couldn't be happier. Dolby Digital II is still the best kept secret in the audio industry, probably becuase some major companies failed to come out with the product in 2001. (I expect all major receiver manufacturers will offer it in 2002.) That aside these speakers perform exallant for the money. Order a pair today, you won't be dissapointed!

Similar Products Used: none
justin   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 07, 2001]
Strength:

2 woofers in each speaker, look real nice, sound real good overall

a little lacking on the bass but thats perfectly fine for speakers at this price.

got these from etronics.com for 170 shipped. only had em for a few hours but what ive heard so far is awesome. have a sony STR-DE475 reciever. have these speakers hooked up thru 18 gauge wire. then to the reciever, i have the playstation2 hooked up via digital optical cable. the tv is also hooked up to the reciever thru standard gold plated RCA jacks.

the speakers just rock. i listened to the incubus cd thru my ps2 and the sound just kept on goin. in no way, am i dis-satisfied with these speakers. they sound excellent.

then i played tony hawk 3 while being decoded at 48khz. wow. the sound is so DIGITAL. and remember, i do not have a surround sound system. its just my reciever and these 2 big speakers. all i can say is this is amazing. all for the prices i paid, i am very impressed.

just wish they had a little more bass...but thats what the sub is for. hehe

Similar Products Used: none