Solid C100 Floorstanding Speakers

C100

Solid Solutions Center Speaker

Mububban   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 07, 2002]
Strength:

The price - the salesman didn't know what it was worth!

Tinny sound, no depth to speak of

I found the Solid C100 (I'm guessing it's a'98 model) in a second hand store and got it for $75 Australian (about US$32). It's the only reason I bought it really. A friend of mine has one and it sounds okay on his Yamaha system, but I've got a Harmon Kardon amp and Harmon's sound much better than Yamaha's, so the speaker really got shown up for being an average performer.
Clarity's okay, it just doesn't have the bottom end or a really full, well-rounded sound that you need for all the subtleties of home theatre, especially music DVD's.
I'll be upgrading my amp, rear speakers and sub-woofer before I spend money on a new centre. It's not horrible, but you can notice its shortcomings.

But hey, if you can pick one up for a steal like I did, it's great value for money!
So it gets 4 stars for value, but only if bought second hand, and only 2 stars overall - if it wasn't for the price, there is no way I would ever pay retail for this speaker.

OVERALL
Sérgio Lopes   an Audio Enthusiast [Jun 09, 1999]

Great center speaker, great sound, great design too, 5 stars.

OVERALL