PSB Speakers Stratus Goldi Floorstanding Speakers

Stratus Goldi

This 3-way, floor standing speaker utilizes a 1" (25mm) Aluminum Dome Tweeter with Ferrofluid, a 6" (150mm) Polypropylene Cone mid-range, and a 10" (250mm) Treated Felt Cone woofer--everything needed for full-range, full-impact, undistorted reproduction of demanding music and Home Theater effects.

Rob   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 05, 2012]

Have had a pair for over ten years now and have no complains other than when I first bought them and they caused my amp to shut down. Amp was sent back to NAD 3 or 4 times and it ended up that I had a bad woofer that was shorting out the amp. It was a nightmare after spending thousands of dollars on a new system. Me and the dealer couldn't find the problem until the woofer stopped working altogether. Speakers sounded great until the woofer went silent. Replacement was sent with no trouble from PSB and I installed it myself with no troubles for around 14 years now. I was also VERY unhappy with the bass from them for the first 3 months, but the dealer was right about the need to break them in. They sounded better as time went on. If I could go back in time I would buy the same pair all over again.

shoe   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 09, 2005]
Strength:

Solid bass slam and mid level smoothness with detail. Good overall coherence, build quality is excellent.

A bit heavy at 90 lbs. apiece

I was lucky enough to find a pair of Dark Cherry Gold I's local, for a great price. Personally I love the way they look. The build is solid, top to bottom. I have had several pairs of loudspeakers here in my home in the last two years. They outperform anything elce in this price range that I have come across. The Gold I's sound so much more robust and deliver a full measure of dynamic bass that is neither boomy or sloppy. The mids are detailed and smooth. The highs are airy and they image very well for a large floorstander. Very close to the sound of the Vandersteen 2ce sigs except the Gold I's seem to image better and catch more detail in the music. They also can play at higher volumes with ease and have a good all around balance to them. Given the price and the quality of sound that these deliver I have to give them 5 stars all around!

Similar Products Used: vandersteen 2ce sigs Von Schweikert VR 2's Meadowlark Osprey and Kestral II B&W CM 4 B&W DM 604 s 3 NHT 2.5i
vfinyc   AudioPhile [Jan 18, 2005]
Strength:

Top to bottom, first rate.

In my room and with associated equipment, none.

I have owned the original Stratus gold for 10 years and been very satisfied. Although I can afford to buy speakers quite a bit more expensive (after all, Im driving them with $20,000 worth of amplifiers) so far I have not heard a speaker (and in New York City you can hear just about everything available) at any price point that seriously challenges this speaker in my system. I am bi-amping them with four Cary 805b (211 output tube)mono-blocks and a Cary 306/200 CD player, no pre-amp. KCAG interconnects and Tara the One speaker wire hook it all up. My musical taste is Classical and some Jazz. Particularly on large scale orchestral and choral recordings the Gold's excel. I would recommend these speakers to any serious classical music lover. Power and majesty they project in spades! Unlike some reviewers here, I have found this speaker to be very room placement dependent to achieve the stunning results they are capable of. They can sound either bright (to close to un-treated side walls) or boomy (to close to back wall) in the wrong place. Bi-amping also makes a huge improvement, at least if using lower powered tube amps, as I am. I have not found them as difficult to drive, though, as others have stated. I was very pleased with them when I had only two Cary 805's on them. One could spend quite a bit more money and not get better sound from a speaker.

rjhalla   AudioPhile [Apr 24, 2004]
Strength:

Top to bottom balance. Bass, bass, bass.

They need a lot of current.

Should have done this a while ago. I first tried the Stratus Gold in 1995 while my Acoustat 2+2's were being looked after, the dealer I was working with loaned the Gold's to me so I had something to listen to. I was driving them with a Classe Audio Ten, and for a few weeks with a Classe Audio Fifteen. Really enjoyed them...but the Acoustat's came back better then new and I returned them. Zing ahead to 2003, was looking for a speaker that was not an electrostatic but would keep me happy. Tried alot of gear, then I remembered my time with those Gold's in 1995, went looking for a pair. Found a dealer, had a pair on the floor he was looking to sell for a decent buck - I bought em. Driven with a Classe Audio Fifteen, front ended with a Classe Audio CDP.5, and all controlled by a Luxman C-05...beautiful. I really enjoy these speakers. Ya, some wankers get on here and trash them, seems unlikely they've ever heard them. The Goldi is quite difficult to drive, in fact I've added a second Fifteen, bridged that gives me almost 1400 watts into a 4 ohm load, but it gives the Goldi life. You have to hear these big fella's when you feed them well, they bring life to the music. Vocals are 'right', and that includes female vocals. The top end is 'airy', with one Fifteen they can become harsh at high volumes, with the second Fifteen and almost limitless power they don't sound anything other than great. The bass is amazing, and I know bass, I've owned some of the best bass monsters out there. The bass from the Goldi's is not boomy, not bouncy, in fact it sounds like the bass you hear at a live event. Compared to the B&w N803 the Goldi is just plain better in the bottom end, and at quite a reduction in price. As for imaging, I would rate the Goldi's very high. They place instruments very well, in fact I'd say they'll put them wherever your front end tells them to. Met a gent in Mississauga Ontario that was using the Goldi driven by a big Krell and front ended by a Linn LP12...just plain sweet. He had concluded the same thing I did, he could afford far more expensive loudspeakers but the return in sound quality wouldn't warrant it. All in all, I'm very impressed by these big guys. If you've got some current give them a try, if not, move on to another speaker.

Similar Products Used: B&w, Spendor, Aerial.
junzhang   AudioPhile [Mar 23, 2004]
Strength:

Very neutral from top to bottem Solid build Easy to drive (8 om) senstivity is good (89 dB) Price (Anyone hear)!

Heavy (Wife hates them when I ask her for help to move these things)

Best value for the money. These speakers are very easy to drive. Ten year ago when I first bought these beautiful speakers, I was totally satisfied even I was using a Yamaha RXV-480 to drive them. During the following 10 years, I'v added McCormack DNA0,5-amp, and TLC-preamp, Marantz CD-67SE(all from used market). This setup cost me less than $3000. What a deal? Just pure audiophile Class B setup. PSB Gold is excellent for Piano, Violin, RockNRoll. Even though lately I added ML aerius (same stererophile B class speaker) for vocal and violin (The designer use to play violin in Canada).

Similar Products Used: PSB alpha McCormack Power Drive DNA0.5, 1.0 McCormack Line Drive TLC Yamaha RXV-480, RXV-1000 (HT setup) Marantz CD-67SE (CD) Sony DVP-S7000 (benchmark DVD, excellent CD) Sony DVP-S9000ES (benchmark DVD, excellent SACD) Kimber Kable 8TC (biwire) DH Lab Silver( signal wire) AudioQuest Forest or Midnight (biwire) Sony 36XBR250 TV monitor
Kiasutoo   AudioPhile [Jan 03, 2004]
Strength:

soundstage, depth, awesome bass

Too huge!! Need moderate volume to sound good.

I had these Golds' for about 2 years now. These are terrific speaker for the price. I have listen to various speaker from the 2K to 50K range. These Gold were very "close" to the best that I have heard (Halco/watts). However, to get really good soundstage and bass, it will need lots and lots of power. I am currently driving it with a pair of oddessy stereo amp, configured in a vertical biamp mode. The biamping gives a better controlled bass... gone were the boom. I highly recommend these speakers. With a decent setup, you will still be under 10K.

Similar Products Used: Apogee, quad, watts, maggie, monitor audio, snell.
JJ   AudioPhile [Dec 11, 2003]

what amp are u using, im thinking about getting the 1.6 mag. did you compare them side by side. system: acurus a200, mccormack mld, nad 502 cd thanks

hhawk   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

Balance, neutral tone, imaging, appearance and kick butt factor.

At this price-none. I have owned Dahlquist DQ10, Paradigm Studio 60, Magnepan 1.6QR all "good" stuff. And the PSBs are better than any of them.

After reading some of the negative reviews, I too had to respond. I have the PSBGoldi. These are excellent speakers-great imaging, well balanced, and percussion that you can feel. These speakers have been universally favorably reviewed by professional reviewers which probably indicates those leaving bad reviews have some axe to grind or don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Similar Products Used: Dahlquist DQ10, Paradigm Studio 60, Magenpan 1.6QR
Bill Martin   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

Looks,power handling,diversity

Turbulence in the 3" port of the Golds at high volume levels

This is my second review on these speakers. In my first review I mentioned that I bought a second pair of goldis to go with the origional golds and ran them in series on a nad 218 thx amp. I also mentioned that I would purchase a second nad 218 thx amp and I did. I also made myself some good quality speaker cables to reconfigure different wiring scenarios. The following are the reviews for the different setups that I've tried. All of these setups are in biwire. 1.I ran one amp with just one pair of speakers and found that the power sound ratio was quite good. I did find however,at higher listening levels turbulence could be heard on the 3" port on the golds. The goldis have a 4" port. 2. Another conriguration consisted of both pars of speakers run off one amp in series. The power sound ratio was a little better than the previous because the sound stage was larger and I found little to no loss of imaging. I will also mention for all but the last configuration,#5 that the sweet spot is larger for 4 front speakers instead of 2. 3. Next I added another amp and ran the amps in mono and the speakers in series. The power/sound ratio was fantastic. I couldn't believe the conserthall that was in front of me however, I still felt something was missing. Mind you 780watts rms into 8ohms what else is there? I called up psb and asked them what they think and they said that I may have filtering of the sound as it runs through one crossover before it it gets to the other. In otherwords some frequencies in the signal may not get to the speaker furthest from the source. So they recommended the next scenario. 4. This configuration consisted of running the amps in stereo with each channel of the one amp running a left gold/goldi and the right channel a mirror image. I found this to be dissapointing because I lost volume but I did gain a little more imaging. Great for home theatre. I would rate this way slightly better, but not much better than #2. 5.Finally I have found the best bar none configuration. This is for either the golds or the goldis. I biamp only one set of speakers. I have chosen the Goldis because of the bass turbulence that I experienced with the Golds and not to mention they are still under warrenty. Still I beleive that the Golds are sonically identical to the Goldis. In this array I found that I get all the volume and clarity possible coupled with a huge sound stage and exceptional imaging. I highly recommend that you biamp these babies because they need losts of power to show their true potential. I was also told by a audiophile that if you biamp, the amps are more precise in their reproduction because one channel of the amp is dedicated to bass and the other to the mids and highs. I believe this to be true. In closing I would like you to know that I've owned these speakers for 5 and 2 years consectivly and have had the time to experiment. Please note that these are just my findings because someone elses ears may tell them different.

Geordy   AudioPhile [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Bass (decent).

Poor upper mid (edgey) and treble quality (bright). Cheaper build.

Overall, I did give this speaker a real chance but came away quite disappointed. It could not get me exited at all. Bass was actually quite decent but the mids and highs left me scratching my head (upper mids especially). The midrange at concert-like levels had a kind of an "edge" to it and the treble of this speaker seemed to be a little on the bright side. Pretty unbalanced midrange and treble extension. Off-axis listening was a real disappointment as well. Stand up and move out of the sweet spot an inch and the soundstage and imagery collapses. That was quite surprising and probably has something to do with the mid over tweeter design of this speaker being aligned only for sweetspot listening. I finally decided on the Energy Veritas V1.8's. They had the bass response, mid and upper mid power handling with the treble extension I was looking for. Build quality of the Veritas also was light years ahead of the golds as well. The golds just didn't perform up to their price level.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm Studio 100's (very much better than the golds for cheaper), B&W Nautilus 804, 803. Dynaudio Contour 3.0. Martin Logan Aeon.