PSB Speakers Image 1B/B15 Floorstanding Speakers

Image 1B/B15

Just over a foot high, this ultra-compact monitor combines a 5-1/4-inch woofer and the Image 1-inch aluminum-dome tweeter. It is an ideally convenient surround speaker, and as a main speaker or in a secondary system, it delivers amazingly rich, detailed sound for its size and price.

costelus82   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 07, 2016]

Hy i'm back after few months,While i brought a denon pma700ae,and paired whith psb 1b,i was afraid of overblowing bas from amp after reading what hi-fi rewiew,So i ve decide to buy those bookshelfs,they are enough senzitive and detailed ,bringing an metalic and sweet cinells(highes),kinda musicall on midlles,they give an impression of strong sound tipically monitors ,But on low freqs it might need that over blowing bass that What hi fi advertize it At amp, but i am happy that So ,Overall an compact sound whith highes very present,also FOR example they gave very detailed piano sound and when i Was finding an radio station whith the tuner from the same line ,i Was hearrd an simphonic orchestra ,that omgd sound alive !

Mike E. Jennings   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 04, 2010]

Great Sound for the size and the price, they just cant get better. Great for small/medium rooms, hooked them up with a vintage marantz stereo amplifier and they worked great together. I would just add a little more bass in the lows, but i dont think i can ask more for a 5-1/4 inch speakers. Very detailed sound, just a great buy for a tight budget!

craneyaudio   AudioPhile [Jan 26, 2010]

The greatest pair of speakers I ever had.

perplexo   AudioPhile [Jan 02, 2005]
Strength:

Bass response, accuracy, midrange clarity, larger than life for its size. Though sound matters most, they are attractive little buggers in the maple finish.

I might be able to tell you if I listened to them through a 2-channel Class A Hi-Fi system.

I keep a separate Class A two channel system for music, (mostly vinyl). The AV system I'm slowly building is, at best, mid-fi, because I'm not as concerned that TV propaganda/DVD digital reproduction be absolutely pristine. That being said, I left on close to an objective mission to audition an array of speakers in the $300.00 range for main channels--not quite objective as I felt I would probably not be satisfied with any of them. I should preface also by saying I did not audition with DVD's feeling that well recorded music would trump a DVD; instead, I brought along two of my favorite recordings: Dead Can Dance's "Into the Labrynth" tracks 4&5, and Charles Mingus' "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" track 1. to I listened to Athena ASB-2 and Epos ELS-3 through a Parasound system; the Acoustic Energy EOS1, NHT SB1, Monitor Audio, PSB Image 2B, and their B15 model through an NAD sytem. Monitor Audio was out immediately--just plain muddy. NHT's were pretty neutral, more accurate but boxy. The Athena, now available at Best Buy, (which also tainted my objectivity somewhat), were full sounding, but too bright. Separation was also off, especially in midrange/high frequency details. The Epos I liked. Considerably more accurate and neutral. Lacked some of the bass response, but for such small woofers, what can one expect? At least the bass was accurate and tight. I liked the Acoustic Energy slightly more because I sensed they were even more neutral and their imaging was great. I listened to the PSB Image 2B right out of the box, so there was no break-in period. They just seemed a little muddy and bright. (These were on a special close-out deal. Normally, they retailed for $399.00 USD). I was expecting the same out of the B15's, of course, though it is apparently the updated model of the Image 1B, a step below the 2B. I was quite wrong. This is a very exciting speaker. My taste is for neutrality, accuracy and imaging. Wow. Listening to Mingus' bass creep out on the first track was amazing; so out front and dead accurate--but not dominant--compared with all of the other speakers. Smooth highs, no "tinny-ness" or roll off. Midrange sweet with great clarity. From many speakers, one can sense that one or more frequency ranges tends to jump out at the listener while dissolving others. With the B15's, there was an odd sense that all of the music was jumping out without any of the details being lost. And all of this from the B15 which replaces the Image 1B--not the 2B! I would highly recommend giving this speaker a listen, but as we are all subjective, I would also suggest hearing the Epos and Acoustic Energy lines if you're in the market. Great prices at DMC Electronics, by the way.

Similar Products Used: Auditioned Epos ELS-3, NHT SB1, Monitor Audio(forgot model#), Athena ASB-2, and Acoustic Energy EOS1.
Sharon   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 30, 2002]
Strength:

Lots of flavor for the price.

None

I bought these speakers as surrounds for my HT set-up and wow! For the price these little guys are mighty. Before my HT room was ready, I set them up in a secondary room I use for stereo audio only. These guys blew. Even my old albums sounded cool again. I hated to move them when the room was ready.

Similar Products Used: JBL, PSB, Bose, KLH
b y   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 01, 2000]
Strength:

Efficiancy (91db), imaging, surprising bass, incredible mid and highs, great waranty

none noticed

I got these last week and I have been very surprised. I've always liked psb's line and have auditioned most of them for extended periods. I wanted an inexpensive speaker and had heard alot of good things about the new Image series. I went with the 1B and will later add a Subsonic 5.

They sound incredible for such a small speaker. The midrange nails vocals and piano solos, the highs are clear and very fluid. They have none of the thinnes found on some entry level speakers. The bass is not outstanding, but considering the size/price it is sufficiant. As stated above I'll be adding a Subsonic 5 soon. The combination should be great.

If you are looking for an entry level speaker with quality sound you must hear the 1B.

Similar Products Used: listened to polk, proac, B&W,
Mark Norman   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 04, 2001]
Strength:

Great fit and finish, able to remove the grilles, beautiful to look at

Not fond of the metal dome, sounded a bit harsh, definatley did not have the same tonal balance as my PSB 600's or 100c (Centre)

Not a bad speaker, just different, I hope PSB does not replace the Century series with the Image series, after a month I got my cousin to buy me a pair of Alpha A/V's, I think they are incredible, he now has a pair of Image 1B's, Different Strokes... I geuss!

Similar Products Used: Paradigm, Bose, Phillips, JBL
Ant   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 2002]
Strength:

Beautifully magnificnt sound. Warm and clean. Small enough to fit into the most cramped of selves

PSB are hard to get in this country

The beauty of this little speaker is that for the price, I think one would be very hard pressed indeed to find a better sounding suround speaker.

I bought them as surround speakers to accompany the recent addition of a DVD and they sound utterly superb. Everything comes through on them.

At present my room is somewhat cramped so I had to move out some of my speakers. As a result the PSB's are being used as mains. Granted I have mounted them on big manly stands - so that does improve the bass somewhat, but still the music I play through them sounds fantastic. If anyone says to you that they lack bass - don't listen. Besides, one is hardly going to make the floor shake with a set of surrouds, that sort of thing just isn't done.

I paid NZ$700 (about $300US) which I thought was a little extravagant. Them I heard them. Absolutely no regrets. If this is your price budget, don't waste any time trying anything else.

Similar Products Used: B&W, JBL, TDL, Infinity, Mirage...
Neil Yates   Audiophile [Mar 11, 2000]
Strength:

Small footprint, bookshelves - ideal for rear surround channels in a HT setup, or small studio.

None.

Purchased a set of 1B speakers for my rear surround channels in my 2nd attempt at a more balanced home-theatre setup. Surprisingly good highs for effects in DVDs, and reasonably good LFE despite the 5.25" driver. Very well balanced with PSB 2B on the fronts, and a 200ci center channel. SubSonic 1 or greater is ideal. Front ported for a bookshelf speaker is a definite plus. Excellent dollar value, and solid construction.

Similar Products Used: Acoustic Profiles, PSB, KEF Reference.
Michael   Audiophile [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Open and airy high frequencies.

Very, very boxy sounding.

A huge disappointment from PSB.

Sounds very boxy, very colored. The use of plastic baffles is likely the cause.

The less expensive PSB Alpha (~$200) and PSB Alpha Mini (~$150) produce much higher quality sound, at less cost.

It's not even funny how much better the Alphas sound.

Same comments apply to the PSB Image 2B (didn't listen to the whole Image series, but with those plastic baffles, they likely all sound similarly boxy).