PSB Speakers Century 500i Floorstanding Speakers

Century 500i

Bass reflex 8in woof, 0.75in tweeter

marc   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 04, 2013]

bought them because they where made in canada and well built no china junk here the sound quality is as good as any at there price range.

Jeff   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 12, 2002]
Strength:

Great for music

Not as good as the 600i's for home theater if you have a good sub woofer.

I own pair of the 500i's and the 600i's that iI drive with a Pioneer elite vsx-07. The 500's are without a doubt the best $500 speaker on the market. I listened to many brands high end brands and while there are better speakers out there you will have to pay closer to $1000 to match these. While they sound fantastic at high volume, what realy impressed me was their ability to have full sound at the lower volumes. The only drawback with these speakers is the clarity when watching movies or tv. For home theater I would recommend the 600i's (which I now use) even though they lack the bass and and full sound the 500i's have for music.

hotstealth91   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 03, 2002]
Strength:

Good clean highs and mids and good moderate bass. Very well made and cabinets are very attractive.

Blew one of the woofers within 10 minutes of moderate listening. This woofer did not give the usual warnings and rattlings. Anyway to make a long story short; PSB would not help and I did some research and found that they had many problems with these 8" woofers coming loose. They tell me they now use Vifa's in place of the ones they used to use so they will hold together. Several people have told me that they have had to replace them many times so obviously a weakness existed. I replaced mine with some 8's I bought out of Canada. With the good woofers, these sound as good as any speakers I have listened to in the $600.00 to $800.00 range. They now kick like a mule. So if you are not into good solid bass and like to listen to your music at low levels, these are very good. But if you like it loud and hard, you will be shopping woofers like I did.

I bought a pair on E-Bay and was impressed upon opening them. They are very well made and the cabinets are very nice. The inside of these things is impressive. i hooked them up and started to turn them up to listen to some music with moderate bass. Found that these the woofers could be overdriven real easy. The sound was very smooth and the highs were very good.I Noticed that the woofer travel was not good.

Similar Products Used: I have listened to and own many sets of floor standing and bookshelf in the $300.00 to $1200.00 range and these are now my favorite set of bookshelf. Although they are large for bookshelf. I use mine
kotta   AudioPhile [May 10, 2002]
Strength:

Warm, pleasant, easy to listen to sound. Easy to drive and sounds good with inexpensive electronics.

Poor binding posts. Lack of lighter color choice of finish.

I just bought a brand-new "A" stock pair from Dmc-electronics.com for half of retail price. They were still available in either black or dark cherry. If you''re in the market for some nice sounding speakers for a very reasonable price give David a call. These speakers have a very pleasant and easy to listen to sound. They present a easy load for your amp to drive. For the money, I can not find fault with these speakers. They are a rather ackward size and I would recommend stands 12-16" tall. Overall, built quality seems good, exempt the binding posts could be of higher quality. (One of the binding posts would not tighten down on bare wire. I''m hoping to resolve this issue with a new lug nut.) I recommend this speaker highly. I have found that Kimber Kable 4VS works well w/ this speaker.

Similar Products Used: B&W, Snell, JM Lab, Spendor.
Dan   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 18, 2000]
Strength:

Great bass for such a small speaker

Rather closed in treble

My mistake was buying these without hearing them - not that they are bad speakers, but they didn't mate well with the NAD C340 I had on hand. They were too dark sounding with the NAD. I ended up buying a Rotel RA-971 and the top octave opened up a bit but the speakers are still a little rolled off on top. The bass is excellent and the midrange is more than adequate, I just miss that sparkle in the upper treble.

I think the speakers are very well made and certainly a bargain at the price I paid. Quite frankly, I think they are a great speaker for their original list as well. Lovers of rock, rap and electronic music will be well served but even orchestral music sounds fine.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm, Sound Dynamics
Jim Gordon   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 26, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, great sound, good for louder music with demand for bass

Had to replace a few woofers, midrange is very good but its bass and high end are what excell

It was 1994 and I was a student ready to invest in a system. I allowed $1000 for speakers. I spent weeks at all the shops testing out everything very carefully. I found that all the bookshelfs had no 'balls' and I did not feel a subwoofer was the way to a satisfying balanced system.

These sounded best overall. The imaging was verygood and the bass response was rewarding. And only $350/pr!

I listen to a lot of reggae,dub and rock at very loud volumes for many hours a day. These dont dissapoint.

All the reviews at the time favoured these as great values.

In the first 2 years blew 5 woofers, 4 were replaced free and the 5th at $40. It was easy to replace myself.

Since then I have punished the speakers with no problems.

The bass can distort when really pushed...but any speaker of this size would.

I am reccomending this as an excellent speaker, especially if you want more 'balls' in a speaker around this size and price. If you have more money to spend, give them an audition, they make a good comparison.

Similar Products Used: JPWs, B&W 600, Paradigm, Energy, Mirage
Pete Simko   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 26, 1997]

I bought my PSB 500's in 1993 to upgrade from speakers I will not mention.Until recently I powered them with the Sony STR-AV910 and loved them! They
provided excellent clarity and imaging that can occasionally reach beyond the
physical separation of the speakers.

A month ago I replaced my Sony with B&K AV5000 and WOW!! The added dimension of depth is amazing, and the highs are beautiful with no harshness of excessive
sibilance. Just listen to Sarah McLaughlin and you'll know what I mean. Be aware
that they possess a bit of boominess in the bass, and tend to falter with source material that has poorly reproduced midranges.

Eventually the PSBs will be replaced as mains, but I'll try to keep them in my
system as rear speakers.

Jan Hemingway   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 19, 2001]
Strength:

The sound is complete, smooth, crisp, clear and bold.

Not Yet Found

After bought a JBL AC model speakers set last month, I found that the sound of the JBL was rather too crisp not smooth enough to my ear, so I went to audio shop to find a speaker that sound smooth but still clear and crisp.

I tried to listen bookshelf speakers like Aegis One, QLN, Mission, Jensen, Paradigm, and none of those speakers was match to my hearing. In other shop, I found a quite big speaker, PSB Century 500i with 8 inch of woofer, and I tested it, and found the sound imaging was great, smooth, crisp and clear, so I took it for $240.

At home, I compared the PSB 500i with JBL AC-310 (HLS-610), and found the PSB 500i was better, the mid & bass were bold without using a sub.

Similar Products Used: JBL AC-310, JBL-AC-Center, JBL-AC Surround, JBL S/W Digital 12, Harman Kardon AVR7000 amplifier
Eddy Pastore   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 21, 2001]
Strength:

The look, also the sound is clear and crisp lows are not bad for a small guys PSB is tops

I cant fine any

Between my Sony sub,Polk RT800i and Klipsch KSC-C1 which are good speakers in there own rights. I would pick my PSB 500i to be my best speakers in my system.

Similar Products Used: Polk, Klipsch Sony sub pushed by Denon 3000
August Jirovec   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 11, 1999]

Speaker: PSB Century 500iAmp: NAD 304 Stereo Integrated Amplifier
Source: NAD 512 CD player
I've owned a pair of Century 500i speakers for nearly a year and I must say I'm very satisfied. I'm an orchestral musician and I tried to find a speaker that sounds the best for classical music. Of course, being a musician, I have very little money. ;-) I thought for sure I'd have to sacrifice musical quality because of my lack of funds, but I was wrong. After listening to several speakers in the 500's price range, I was sold on this speaker, and I didn't end up settling for mediocre musical reproduction! The 500s have a detailed and dynamic sound, and can realistically recreate the timbres any orchestral instrument or ensemble. These speakers, as a friend pointed out, are almost too revealing--if you aren't careful, you will find yourself listening to soloists breathing before coming in, harpsichordists changing manuals, string players adjusting intonation, pages being turned, and all other sorts of subtle nuances that go into performance.
Most importantly, you will hear glorious sound as it was meant to be heard. The highs are sweet and never overbearing or tinny sounding. The midrange is "just right" and, thankfully, at the forefront of the music. As for the low-end, I was impressed I got this much bass from a speaker this size. While it's not enough to really irritate my neighbors while listening to Metallica, gong and bass drum come through nicely in Mahler. Besides, who sets out to shake a room with a bookshelf speaker anyway??
All in all, it's a well-built speaker that's easily affordable. Try one out if you appreciate good sound.