Polk Audio RTi70 Floorstanding Speakers

RTi70

These RTi Series Floorstanding Loudspeakers feature more real wood than ever before; front & rear baffles as well as the top & sides are covered in luxurious real wood veneer, for high impact looks and value.

Eddie   AudioPhile [Jan 08, 2018]

Some of the best forward imageing speakers money can buy Mids are great highs are good bass is not what these speakers where made for must have a sub woofer to go with them . But these beautiful things project a beautiful sound wall forward like no other speake can .

Dustyditto   AudioPhile [Jun 22, 2014]

With the exception of Sid's review (which was a review from a 14 year old kid, and COMPLETELY different from what he wrote on the Polk Audio forum)

These speakers are some of the best speakers that Polk has produced for the price. Are the Rt35's better? NO!!! Not in any way, shape or form! Did Polk make better speakers? Yes. The SDA and LSi lines are better, but the LSi's also require amps that can drive 4ohm speakers. The new LSiM apparently are 8ohm speakers, but then again we're talking about speakers that are twice the price. Anyway, back to the Rti70's. They are built like a speaker should be. Solid, with a beautiful veneer and a great design. The silk dome tweeter is less harsh than the trilaminate tweet in the rt series (although I didn't find the tri-lam fatiguing at all), I'm not sure if it's the tweeter, or the crossover, but it's a little smoother overall. The dual 6&1/2" woofers do a fantastic job of reproducing both midrange and bass. I Have them paired with a subwoofer, so I don't expect them to go super low, but they weren't designed to go super low either. I really don't know what anyone could possibly complain about really. And comparing these speakers to a weak speaker like the Rt35i (which I owned for a VERY short period of time, they sucked and had to go) is nonsense. I still use these speakers as fronts and rears in my 5.1 setup (no room for 7.1, even in an 18x22 foot room, the layout just isn't right), and have no reason to change my setup. Fantastic speakers, well built, and will stand the test of time!

Jake-O-phile   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 08, 2005]
Strength:

midbass, low-end response

highs were detailed, but not brilliant....

A great speaker for the price. They perform very well for home theater and casual listening. I did find that the highs were not quite as brilliant as I would have liked, however, the addition of a super tweeter to each tower has made the pair outstanding!!! I wish I could give them a 4.5 instead of a 4.

DefinitiveSid   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 08, 2004]
Strength:

- Wide/Deep Soundstage - Nice Midbass 'Thump' - Decent Bass Down To About 40hz

- Bright Highs - Un-Detailed Highs - 'Clothed' Mids - Slightly Boomy Bass - Ugly As Sin

Since I started my hobby in the summer of 2002, I started out with Polk Audio. The RT35i. After about 2 years or so, I decided I could get Towers. So I purchased the RTi70. At first, with the excitement of new, larger, speakers in the house, I liked them. I thought they were great. This excitement quickly came to a close. I plugged the RT35i back up one day, which to my surprise completely stole the floor in the high end against the RTi70. The RTi70 was harsh, undetailed, and completely forgetting snares, cymbals, acoustic guitars, critical pieces in the music that can bring it to life. They did though, have a great soundstage, with decent bass. So there was some hope for them still. Almost. The bass was slightly boomy, but with a good subwoofer, this was hardly noticeable. It wasn't until I picked up the Definitive Tech BP6B that I realized how 'clothed' the mids were. They sounded like they were producing the sound from behing something (a brick wall maybe?)...completely dead. No real refinement in the music or showing any detail within the midrange. Not to mention that there was an incredibly nasty hiss between the mids and highs of this speaker, so along with no detail it was extremely hard to listen to. Another thing about this speaker is the fact it is down right ugly. The 'styrofoam' looking grill looks cheap, feels cheap. The wood veneer looks terrible, looks cheap. Might as well just slapped vinyl on there, atleast Vinyl has an actual wood grain of some sort. To me, this is possibly the worst line Polk has produced, it had a shelf life of 1.5 years and was probally one of the most rushed lines they made (if it wasnt rushed, it sure looked/sounded like it). A complete dissapointment, and atleast they pulled it off the shelves. The first RT line was amazing, why did they change it?

Similar Products Used: - Definitive Technology BP10B - Definitive Technology BP6B - Polk Audio RT35i - Polk Audio RT5 - Polk Audio RT25i - Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL - Klipsch Chorus - KLH 900b - Vintage 'New' Advents - Pioneer CS-E9000
datarush   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 06, 2004]
Strength:

Great both in stereo and as the LF/RF in a 5.1 surround sytstem. Of course they match up well with the Polk CSi40 center and FXi500 surrounds.

none so far. Use a sub for movie LFE and possibly some types of music

I agonized for a long time on what speaker group to get, narrowing it down to Infinity, Polk and Klipsch. Comparable in price and performance at several price levels, Polk won out strangely enough because I thought that they wouldn't be staring back at me as much will the speaker grilles off. For the money I'm very pleased and you would have to go up quite a bit in price to get an appreciably better sound. These are the last piece in the puzzle I created to have a well-matched sound system. Prior to this I've had 3-4 brands of speakers hooked into the 5.1 system. I'm quite certain that these work better with my Polk CSi40 center, having identical drivers. Although I'm sure this influences me, the perfect aesthetic matchup compliments the excellent transition of sounds from left/center/right that is possible now. They look good with the speaker grilles on or off. Downward firing port eliminates some of the issues with having them too close to the wall, although I still have them about 12" away at the rear.

Similar Products Used: Wharfedale MFM7s, NHT mains
Matt   AudioPhile [Jul 22, 2003]
Strength:

Really nice reproduction of highs and mids. Low end response is adequate for small rooms only without augmentation from a sub. Superb reproduction quality for the price.

Watch your dynamic power! I lost three tweeters in the first 24 hours. These speakers are recomended for amps up to 150w and aparently do not contain an internal crossover network to protect the tweeters. I drove them with a vintage 70w amp that is capable of producing dynamic peaks well in excess of 150w. The tweeters died acordingly :-( Look for the RTi70's if you want more power.

I am a musician and spend a great deal of time listening to live music as well as studio monitors. The speakers were purchased to replace an aging set on a secondary system.

jhohler   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent Bass and midrange Excellent highs Great sound for the price, beats more expensive speakers on the market

HEAVY!!

I owned the RT12s bought back in 1996 and I thought they were awesome. I am just recently upgrading my entire system and I was looking for some decent sounding speakers to replace my aging RT12s. I compared various lines of JBL, Infinity, Bose, Def Tech,Klipsh and the Polk Audio line up of the R series and the entire RTi series of speakers. Out of all of these the RTi70s sounded overall the best for price and sound quality. The infinity Alpha series came in close. I demoed the Polks at CC off of a HK 525. By this time, I had decided to stay w/ Polk and compared the RTi100s,RTi150s, the R30s and 50s, and of course the RTi70s. The 100s seemed to lack the clarity the 70s had and the 150s sounded real good, but could not justify spending an extra couple of hundred per speaker, and you need a heck of alot of wattage to power them anyways. The 70s sounded the best out of the group and I was pleasently surprised how much better they sounded when I got them home. They use the cheapest wiring to hook up systems for demoing at most of the retailers I have been to and CC was no exception. I have an older kenwood VR-990D digital rcvr (110w to 5ch ea) and it lit those babies up in Dolby Digital. I have to turn my Bass almost completely all the way down and I have no need for my Klipsh subwoofer. The highs on the speakers (to me) sound superb and the midrange sounds are excellent. One thing I like most about Polk Speakers is the Bass Reflex ports, eliminating the need for a woofer. My first set of speakers were Boston Acoustic A150s bought in the early 90s and it did not take much effort to blow those woofers out. That cant happen w/ bass reflex. Overall, I consider purchasing the RTi70s as just an upgrade to my already excellent RT12s, which is saying alot!!

Similar Products Used: Polk Audio RT12 Infinity Alpha Series
Larry   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Clarity, detail, laid-back Great value!

None that I could notice.

Since I bought these speakers I have listened to them way too closely. I have been trying to somehow turn into an overnight audiophile so I could describe every nuance. We enough is enough. Here is my simple, unsophisticated review: These speakers really sound great. They are extremely clear, have very nice highs and great mids. The bass is good, but I am suplimenting it with a sub. I listened to other speakers with metalic tweeters and they sounded too harsh. Find some good quality recordings and sit back and enjoy. These speakers are easy to listen to and can mate well with all sorts of music. I also use these speakers for HT. They do a fantastic job and blend well with the other RTi speakers. From what I understand Polk is coming out with an upgraded RTi line this fall. I'm anxious to listen to them as well!!

Similar Products Used: VMPS - had a long, long time ago, sounded great, but were huge and expensive
Mark   Audio Enthusiast [May 08, 2003]
Strength:

solid buid quality..great customer service not too fussy about placement.

none so far....

Great speakers for the price....good sounstage and imaging....great for home theater....sound best when b-wired, in my opinion.

Similar Products Used: JBL and Infinity
StevensS   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

Sound, size, looks, speaker configuration.

None so far.

For reasons similar to Ed, I too had R50's. My wife and I were shopping for surround speakers and we stopped into CC to test out the Polk FXi30's (on sale for $169 ea). I noticed that the RTi70's were on sale. I knew how both the 50's and 70's sounded, since we listened to both when we bought the 50's and the 70 is a lot better speaker! I just couldn't afford them at the time! I don't want to turn this into a CC add but they have a great program where you can upgrade by bringing in recently (less than a year old) purchase speakers and you can upgrade by paying the difference. That means for the price I paid for the R50's plus less than $100 bucks more and I'd get the RTi70's. I consider this to be one of the best deals I've made in a long time. They sound and look a heck of a lot better than the R50's. BTW we also bought the FXi30's so we ended up with two new sets of speakers for just under 500 bucks and the R50's for trade. Our entertainment center has never sounded so good. Music is crisp and clear and the 70's even have some fairly good bass. (we DO have a sub). My wife and I are mostly hard rock music fans and we've owned Bose and Cerwin Vega and the RTi70's are a better looking and sounding than our 601's and D1E's. Great speakers at a great value. I can see us sticking with Polk for good long time.

Similar Products Used: Sony SA-WM40, Polk CSi30, Polk FXi30, Bose 601 Series III, Bose AM-5 Series II, Cerwin Vega D7E