Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speakers

Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Why settle for vinyl speakers when you can have the warmth and beauty of real wood at the same price? RTi Series features real wood at vinyl prices. The new RTi Series Loudspeakers grab your attention. They are wonders of industrial design: real wood, radiant with metallic highlights and racing car lines. Classic Polk performance in a design that speaks to todays high-end home décor. True performance art.

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 03, 2018]
Jason

Strength:

Handling everything I threw at them.. now I have them hooked up bi- wired to a strong sansui amp b-2101 and I can tell they love it... and so do I .

None at all just need the right power.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
[Jan 15, 2018]
victor
Audio Enthusiast

I'd only like to add something.

I've used these speakers for ten years and there haven't a time I've regreted.
The sound scene impressed most of all, of course, in condition of a sound isolation room (carpet, curtains and etc). My room is rectangele and the best result when the speakers stand along the long direction of the room. Cables are not audiophile, but crossection - no less than 4 mm2 per each wire.

Equipment
1. Two Rega Exon monoblocks. Each block is of 350 watts .
2. Rega Preamp Cursa.

So, I'll be very glad if it is be useful and help somebody to find a budget solution of a very decent sound.

[Oct 31, 2015]
Dean
AudioPhile

I'm an audiophile and these speakers are an unusual choice for critical listening. However they can sound excellent if you're prepared to do some work. Points to take note of:

1. These speakers are bright. A break-in period helps with this, but attention will need to be focused on eq and / or electronic room correction, and speaker placement. When first hooking up without any eq or electronic room correction, music sounded harsh. A tube preamp would help with added warmth. Over the course of a few weeks I spent a decent amount of time eq'ing using software based parametric eq and 32 band eq.

2. As mentioned, speaker placement is important to get the best soundstage and sound quality.

3. Amplification. I've read countless comments advising these speakers need vast amounts of power. This isn't entirely accurate. First, it depends on how loudly you plan to play back your source. I initially was using quality 100 watts per channel. The sound was very enjoyable. Even at louder volumes the amps did not clip. However, switching to a 300 watts per channel setup allows for a lot of headroom, and the speakers did open up, even at lower volumes. You will need clean, stable power. This is important.

4. Subwoofer. Depending on your preference, you may or may not need a subwoofer. The speakers sound fine and balanced without. However, Quality subs will bring out deep extension and the sound truly shines as a result.

If you find these speakers at an attractive price as I did, I'd suggest you can't go wrong if you take note of my comments above. BUT, as these speakers have been replaced by the RTI A9 I'd strongly suggest you invest in them if you find them at a decent price. They've been tweaked to address the overly bright sound, and have received favourable professional reviews.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

[Mar 13, 2015]
Jon
AudioPhile

Honestly I love sound and have had my fair share of audio equipment! First let me say I have owned the likes of magnapan, b&w, energy, klipsh, definitive technology, ect... These speaker's matched with the right electronics and cable's are absolutely wonderful! Possibly one of the biggest bangs for the buck today in the audio industry! I simply couldn't be happier and if you have the opportunity to audition these's somewhere you will buy them and marvel at there interpretation of sound!!! Very happy and amazed??!

[Oct 03, 2012]
Ed. Torres
Audio Enthusiast

I honestly dont know why everyone says they need alot of power. I drive my rti12's with a 60 watt tube amplifier and get great sound. I also hooked them up to a 8 watt home made experimental amp and got reasonably good performance. I think everyone needs to stay away from those bestbuy toy/surrond amps, thats where the real problem is.

[Sep 29, 2010]
Jason
Audio Enthusiast

These speakers are gorgeous, first of all. They sound great, however I do agree with everyone else that you need to drive plenty of power to them. I have a Denon AVR-3600 that is 110 watts per and they are bi wired and the Klipsch F3's blow them away. Keep in mind that the Klipsch's have a much higher efficiency rating thus requiring less amplification. I have an Adcom 555 power amp coming and that should make a tremendous difference. Also remember that the Denon was an $1800 piece and weighs in at 50 lbs, so it's no slouch....not like some of the newer "home theater" stuff. I gave it 4 stars on value because to really appreciate these, you will need to spend the additional money to get some umph!

[Aug 11, 2010]
geekster
Audio Enthusiast

Just wanted to chime in about power requirements for these bad boys. I tried powering them with my Denon AVR-4802R, 100W of clean high current power, but it wasn't enough. So I bought an Adcom GFA-545 to power the low end drivers (removed the jumpers in back of the speakers first), also 100W. Fortunately the Denon receiver has pre-outs for all channels so hookup was simple.That made all the difference in the world. Music was great before but is amazing now. And movies...oh man. The place literally explodes now. This is a large open loft style place with very high ceilings and these speakers now fill it effortlessly. You can literally see the surface of the couch ripple from the bass these put out. And that's at -30dB. I don't dare go up to 0dB This is a good way to meet your local police as I think someone said.

[Jan 15, 2008]
Steve Jarvis
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clarity, smooth highs, natural mids & great bass. Good value for the $$$.

They need lot's O' power, not necessarily a weakness, but wouldn't recommend them with an under $ 1K receiver, but would - with upper end Denon, Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Marantz or separates that can provide the current to deliver the goods.

I have a friend who is a high end audiophile with components the likes of Anthem and B&K. I was in the market to upgrade my home theater speakers and was looking at the Polks & Klipsch. He was in the av store picking up a couple things, said they had a sale going on and did I need anything? I had listened to the Klipsch RF7's earlier and asked him if they had a set of RTi12's that he could give a listen to. He called me back later and said they did and........ to to buy them - he liked their sound, I'd be happy with them. So I had him pick them up with a CSi5 and Rti6's to go as a package. He brought them over in his truck and help me set them up in my system, also showed me how to tune them according to the room and location using a couple of test cd's he had.

They are very heavy at 88 lbs a piece and can be a chore to move once you have the spikes into the carpet. Fit and finish are first rate, mine are in cherry, real wood veneer.

I have the RTi12's biamped with a pair of vintage Kenwood M2A's and The RTi6's running on a single Kenwood M2A power amp [some folks may have heard of these M2A's-high quality power amps]. The Sony Strda 777ES runs the CSi5 center. I do have a custom 2500watt subwoofer which I left off to see how things shaked out.

Let me just say this.................. for the money spent [under $2K], WOW.

With the most delicate of music or the best action movies you can find, these speakers are awesome.............. with plenty O' bass. I will say - as most have, they do require a lot of power. With that power connected, they will deliver extreme dynamics, with a clarity that you'll have trouble finding with most other brands. You really don't need a sub with these but, with.......... look out. My hat's off to Polk for getting these right.

The Kipsch RF7's hwever are very nice, bright and extremely powerful but lack the smoothness of the RTi12's. 'Nough said'

Customer Service

Haven't hurt em yet so...... don't know

Similar Products Used:

None like these - replaced a quad set of Cerwin Vega Q1 reference speakers and a CV center with the Polk system.

Sony STRDA777ES dolby digital / dts receiver
Audiobahn 1805x's

[Oct 16, 2007]
Nick
AudioPhile

Strength:

Soild construction, excellent sound (prepared to be impressed), tight bass responce, power handling ability, and flexable amping setups. Very good bang for the buck. Polk provides a free eviction notice if you live in an apartment or attached housing. These speakers can also provide you with a great opportunity to meet your local law enforcement. Rock on!

Outriggers were a little weak (plastic). Size and shape are a bit awkward. No weaknesses to really be conserned over.

These speakers are very good for the money. Compaired to others in this price range, these puppies have them beat hands down. They are tight and bright. After hooking up these speakers I ran the RTA on my Behringer Ultra Curve (1/3 oct. eq) and the results were amazing. The auto eq made hardly and changes in the specturm. I could take it in and out of loop over and over with less than 5% difference in total sound quality and freq responce. I double checked my reference microphone hook up and re-ran the RTA over again to make sure I was seeing the right thing. Amazing, the speakers completely made up for all the room fault that I had been "tuning" for the past 2 years.

Like other people have stated in thier reviews, you have to drive these speakers. High current amps with true/clean wattage is the a key player in the preformance. You will find very quickly that you need the extra wattage for (lack of a better term) headroom. Don't expect find a sutable preformance in a any big box electronic store receiver.

I have also found that bi-amping is a major player in getting the best preformance. At both low and high volume bi-amping makes 110% difference in sound quality. By powering the lower drivers with a few more watts than the top end, you can tone down the brightness a bit and eleminate the need for sub. It also dramatically improves the tone quality at lower volumes for causual listening.

I recommend as bare minimum setup, you give provide 100-135 watts per speakers. As an optimal setup, I would highly recommend bi-amping; with 150-200 watts on the high end and 200-250 watts on the low end of the cabinet.

Anyone not satisfied with the output of the cabinets or complaining they need a sub, does not have these speakers setup or powered properly. I would only recommend addind a sub if you room size is larger than 25x25. Even then, I believe it you could compensate by proper placement and bi-amp balancing. If you just can't get enough air moving for your taste, I would recommend using a Polk PSW600 or PSW1000. I haven't heard that first hand but it has to be awsome.

As far as the tone quality of the cabinet, the top end is very transparent and bright. The low end of the cabinet has very little coloration to the sound due to the twin cabinet ports. Every detail and every instrument can be heard crystal clear.

Construction is rock soild. I have heard many people complain about the front grills. They are not that bad. They are a bit fragile but, on the other hand, they are not ment to be taken on and off daily either. I wouldn't worry about them. Just be carefull when removing them and only do it as needed.

As far as the outriggers go, I tbelieve that metal would have been a much better choice insted of plastic. The sharp pointed feet seem like they would be damaing to hardwood or just plain annoying on tile. I would like to have seen an additional set of feet in each box that were flat bottomed. I haven't currently had an issue with this becuase I have carpet but, I can only imagine that it could be frustrating.

Overall, I don't believe you will find a better bang for the buck. These speakers are not quite audiophile equipment but, they are as very close (to low end audiophile gear). For the money, I don't think anyone will go wrong. Just remember, power is the key.

Customer Service

I purchased these from Crutchfield so customer service was awsome as usual. They are known for their hand holding and lifetime customer support. I haven't had to deal with Polk directly yet so manufacture service is unknown.

Similar Products Used:

Other Polk loudspeakers. B&W, Infinity, JBL, and more.

[Sep 21, 2007]
Lockport
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Presence, clarity, attention grabbing command of your audio senses.

They do need big power. Hooking these straifght into a 5, 6, or 7 channel amp at 100-150 watts just won't cut it in my opinion. You really need to give them a quality amp at around 300 watts per side.

These are FANTASTIC. They have a presence and depth that is unbelievably distinguishable, but you MUST have heavy power to drive them. Remember there are three 7.5" woofers, two 5.25 midrange and a 1" tweeter. That;s a lot of magnets to drive. I have a pair of Adcom Monobloacks at 300 watts into 8 ohms and they don't even need a subwoofer. I have heard others say they were a little weak here, but I must question if you provided sufficient power to get them really working.

That being said they are rich and articulate. Set up off the floor on there spikes they sit out by themselves and draw your attention to their weightiness. I don't think could be more pleased with my decision to go with these.