Polk Audio Monitor Series 4 Floorstanding Speakers

Monitor Series 4

Bookshelf speaker with 5" midrange, 1" dome tweeter, and tuned port.

Damiel   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 01, 2011]

These Speakers are very cooL! they provide clear, crisp, and very natural sound. partner it with a subwoofer and you'll get a very good setup

Mike Timmins   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 07, 2008]
Strength:

Great clear mid range, extreme upper can become a bit squirly at time, but that could be due to the many many years of age and abuse these have experienced.

Not so much bass, but what can you expect from such a small speaker.

These are great speakers. My dad got a pair for my grandfather back in 83, he used them for years with an old Onkyo, eventualy they were passed onto me. I used for about a 3 years, and was thrilled. More recently i swiched over to a Kennwood Vr-205 surround sound reciever, and threw a Polk PSW10 sub woofer in with them. Its a perfect match. Before i'd just done whatever I could to get the bass out of them, now wich somehting else to do the work, they sound better than ever.

William Parker   AudioPhile [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

At any volume level they maintain a clear, linear, transparent sound. They project and disperse wonderfully in the small room in which they are being used (about 12 x 12). These speakers project so well they tend to overpower my 8" corner-firing subwoofer at lower volume levels.

None, unless you count the weak bass response (but, Duh! A 6-1/2" driver is NOT going to supply intense bass response no matter what.) These need to be used in conjunction with a subwoofer for full tonal response (as does any 6-1/2" bookshelf speaker).

Fabulous, natural clear sound. I'd never really heard of Polk before picking these speakers up, and bought them unheard, but was impressed with the quality of construction and quality of components used that I could see just from a visual/tactile inspection. Bringing them home and listening to them was a treat. There were no holes in the frequency response, the clarity was startling. I'm using these in conjunction with a Yamaha Natural Sound preamp/amp. The tone controls are all set to flat (because these speakers need no tonal enhancement).

Mike Tague   Casual Listener [Dec 16, 2001]
Strength:

Great Sound for old spekers

Bass

Good spekers nothing else to it.

Similar Products Used: Bose Pioneer
Paul Larson   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 07, 2001]

I have owned these speakers for years and have to say it was one of the best purchase of stereo equipment I ever made.

Park   an Audiophile [Mar 28, 1999]

A nice speaker pair for the money. Slightly bright midrange, with clean tight responses to instrumental rifts. Works well with low/med powered amps since linearity seams to drops off fast at higher power levels. Coloring is minimal at moderate sound levels, and a joy to listen to. Vocals are best when suplimented with a subwoofer since the lower midrange and base response is a bit shallow.

Tom   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 18, 2000]
Strength:

EXCELLENT sound quality, crisp highs and solid midrange

BASS RESPONSE (but hey, they're pretty small)

I bought these little jewels YEARS ago, when I was a dirt poor college student in Ann Arbor. They have served me very well over the years. At some point, when I had a real job, I purchased a Yamaha Subwoofer to go with them, and I have been more than happy with the sound quality. I would recommend them highly for anyone who is looking for a reasonably-priced speaker that has stood the test of time.