Polk Audio Monitor 10 Floorstanding Speakers

Monitor 10

loudspeakers

Peter Stockhaus   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 25, 2017]

Wow__ oK
These are 1993 monitor series !! in mint condition. They are a little soft in the lower midrange. Aside from that they are breakaway performers. I am using a NAD 916 bridged ( 90 watts nominal)- and a Harman kardon 330 running preamplifier. The design is awesome because it is a scavenger system_ the speakers are pretty huge but the passive radiator does the work. These speakers produce very low bass levels. Anybody who disagrees with this has something set up wrong. They rock 5 stars overall except I like a little more mids. They are very smooth and non- fatiguing though

Johnny Downunder   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 12, 2016]

A pair of these came up for sale and after reading rave reviews here I grabbed them for $350 NZ.
They are superb at all frequencies and FINALLY after owning Rogers Studio 1a, B & W 603 S2 ,Energy Connoisseur 9, Quad 22L etc etc my search for the ultimate speaker has sadly come to an end! I am sure there are better speakers out there for many more dollars, but to my ears these offer everything I could ever want. The are warm, have superb timbral accuracy, handle all sorts of music including dreadful 80s drum tones etc with aplomb. I love them and best of my wife very surprisingly allowed them pride of place in the living room. They are not visual masterpieces but there are many uglier speakers out there. I am driving them with a Pioneer SC LX57 receiver and they sound fantastic.
If you ever come across a pair, grab them. You won't regret it

Ted Cohen   AudioPhile [Nov 22, 2014]

In short I have had mine sine they first came out a long long time ago.
Spoke to Polk a few years back and they suggested replacing the tweeters with the old found in their current top of the line speakers and all new crossovers, resistors, etc.
It took me all of 30 minutes to make all the changes.
I out them up in the same league as my $10,000 Thiels.
They are not only great sounding but they don't make them like this any more.
The warmth comes through just like I'm listening to one of my vinyl records, which I do all the time.
I've had and have a number of high end speakers paired with Class A equipment.
If you can find a pair, get them at any cost.
I also suggest buying or plildingvstsnds at 6 degree offset for even better sound.
You can't go wrong.
Polk will tell you what new electronics you need and provide a wiring diagram as well.
Like me you'll love them and listen to them all the time.

ed   AudioPhile [May 16, 2013]

I just got a pair today I saw them at the Salvation Army store while donating. The first thing I notice was the Polk Audio label, the second thing was $29.95 price tag for each speaker. I was amaze!!. This pair are in excellent conditions... I replaced my old BOSE monitor series with these Polk Audio Monitors 10. EXCELLENT Results. they are built solid, the sound is beautiful with great clarity, the power handling is superb . I got them wired using it's own power amp integrated with my Bose theater surround sound system and Two 10 woofers. It's music heaven......

Scott   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 30, 2012]

Believe or stuff it, got a pair of these at a garage sale a couple of year ago for a song ($20); they came with stands and they still look great. I have them as my home theatre main speakers and they absolutely slay anything I've ever had before. Given the quality,they'll probably outlast me and I can pass them down to my son.

CT-Seven   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 26, 2010]

Picked these up from a friend as a trade for other gear and wow! They sound very well nice tone and feel to them. My friend had them "restored" with new cabs and new wires and he also re-did the stands. They defenetely look like a work of art.

They are driven by a Carver M-500(t) Amp and a Carver CT-Seven Pre-Amp

Look for the A series as they have the peerless tweeters

KEN FRANK   AudioPhile [Aug 19, 2009]

BOUGHT THESE SPEAKERS AS THEY WERE BEING DISCONTINUED. PICKED UP PAIR FOR ABOUT 600 DOLLARS IN 1996. A THREE WAY BOOKSHELF SPEAKER THAT WEIGHS ABOUT 60 LBS. EACH. MY MUSICAL TASTES ARE RATHER ECCLECTIC SO I NEEDED A VERSATILE SPEAKER. FROM BEETHOVEN TO MICHAEL JACKSON FROM LED ZEPPLIN TO MILES DAVIS. THEY HAVE PERFORMED EXCELLENTLY.. INCORPORATED INTO A DOLBY 7.1 SYSTEM AS THE MAIN FRONT SPEAKERS SOME OF THE BEST MONEY IN MY SYSTEM I'VE SPENT. MK SUB , POLK CENTER, 4 POLK IN WALLS ROUND OUT MY SYSTEM. YOU CAN ALWAYS SPEND MORE MONEY IF YOU HAVE IT BUT MOST HAVE TO GET THE BEST THEY CAN WITH THE FUNDS THEY HAVE . ELITE RECEIVER RECNTLY REPLACED WITH DENON

karister   Casual Listener [Sep 17, 2008]
Strength:

Deep and tight bass with great mids and crisp n clear highs.

May be the cabinet veneer!

One of the best speakers still around. They are from the early 80's and in great condition with all original drivers. They do sound amazingly detailed with great lows and awesome mids and crisp highs. I do appreciate them more now than ever before, and they handle pretty much anything with great efficiency. I've seen still they go on sale time to time from 200-350 kinda, well worth every $ invest on them.

Similar Products Used: Bose, Infinity, Mirage, Paradigm
talldude777   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

Polk Audio Customer Service is 2nd to none.
You can still buy replacements for all of their speakers!
Rubber surrounds on the drivers (no foam rot here)
Tweeters are so sweet
Very good bass response

Tweeters are prone to blow, but replacements are easy purchase
Can't think of any more

These Polk Audio Monitor 10A that I picked up from an old friend for $60 are fantastic. They look like new. What a deal!
Just read the reviews before me, and you will see that everybody who owns these speakers has nothing but good things to say about them. I love the "laid back" sound they produce. They have an excellent soundstage when driven in stereo with a good amp.
I agree with what most say, you need to get them on a small stand with a slight tilt upward.
All types of music sound great. You can not beat these for the price they are going for now on the used market. My next step will be to get some of the SDA Polk Speakers.
Great job Polk Audio!

Customer Service

Polk has the best customer service on the planet

Similar Products Used: Infinity, HK, Denon, Polk Audio, Pioneer THX, PS3
cpadg   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 03, 2007]
Strength:

- Excellent response over the entire frequency range: 25 Hz to 25 KHz: bass is tight and palpable, midrange is highly detailed and present.

- Highly efficient - they will maintain imaging at very low volume levels

- Capable of driving you out of the room and sounding excellent while doing so! More than enough capacity to cause hearing damage in almost any sized room.

- Polk still provides replacement drivers!

- They're big. I happen to like big speakers, so for me, this is a strength :-)

To be perfectly honest, all the monitors out there are getting a little old. If you get a pair and keep them for a reasonable amount of time, be prepared to replace something, probably a tweeter (~$50 shipped for a replacement from Polk). Some audiophiles contend that the crossovers (determines what frequencies the different drivers see) should be redone at some point as well, but that's certainly not vital.

They were produced in the late 80s, so they're covered in faux wood vinyl or something that does a poor job of imitating wood. This is completely unrelated to the sound, so it doesn't matter unless you have to contend with a significant other.

I picked these speakers up over thanksgiving from my grandparents, who bought them in the late 80's / early 90's after my parents bought a pair. They used them for a while then retired the polks to their basement upon getting a surround system, where they sat unused and unloved for several years. They cleaned our their basement recently, and not realizing what they had, were going to throw them away if I didn't take them! (Talk about a heart attack)

I'm currently driving them with a Carver HR-752 receiver @ 100 W RMS / channel. I'm in a 12x20 dorm room at college, and these things will sing until my eardrums bleed! The quality of the sound is simply staggering, all the way from 25 Hz earthquakes to an ear-splitting 25 KHz, regardless of the volume level.

The music I play is just about everything: pop, rock, classical, organ, new age, and the Polks handle it all with ease. Organ music is especially difficult to reproduce accurately, but it sounds fantastic on these speakers - turn them up enough, and it sounds like your room is suddenly filled with a several-hundred rank organ. The amount of bass they will produce with a FLAT EQ is unreal: I often find myself turning the bass DOWN! How often does a college student do that? There is simply no need for a subwoofer, and I honestly think adding one would make it sound worse!

Turn these speakers up past your average listening level, and they really start to shine - female vocalists especially seem to jump out of the speakers right in front of your face. The midrange that so many others gushed about really is fantastic. It's hard to describe in words, but the moment you hear it for yourself you'll know exactly why so much is said about it. It's a feeling of "Oh, wow! So this is what a speaker should sound like!"

Currently the tweeter in the left speaker is dying on me, so the sound is certainly below their potential, and they still sound stunning. Polk still sells replacement drivers however, so even should you break something it's not the end of the world!

As far as comparing them to other speakers, the only thing I think that could compare would be Polk's famed SDA series, and even then the Monitor 10s could give the lower-end ones a run for their money! At this price, there is simply nothing, nothing, that can compare with the Monitor 10's combination of imaging, power, low end, and midrange.

One last note: you absolutely MUST get the stands or your sound quality will suffer. If you want to make your own, the front of the speaker is 9.25" from the floor, and the back is 8+7/8" off the floor. Those are the only really critical dimensions.

Similar Products Used: Heard/lived with: 2 pairs of Monitor 10Bs, Boston Acoustic bookshelf speakers, Bose sub/sat system.